Wheel bearings

-

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ok i'm replacing the front wheel bearings on my 71 dodge dart with the hub off and cleaned the grease out of it the races for the bearings are they tap in/out or pressed in/out? Just dont want to make my work harder that it can be!!!

I wouldn't call them tap out but they can be removed and reinstalled with a hammer and a pin punch.

Yup. Many rotors/ hubs have a cutout on opposite sides to expose more of the race to a punch. Best to use "soft steel" or brass as opposed to a hard punch. You can even use a bolt, if you grind the end nice and flat. Just tap one side, then the other, so it comes out evenly.

Going back in, find a socket, piece of pipe, etc that will slip inside the hub, but contact the rim of the race.

Don't take them out unless you need to replace them. Just clean 'em good and look for heat damage, or galling/ wear. If they look OK, just clean the inside of the hub with the races in place.

Many cars go their entire useful life with same bearings

Generally don't recommend replacing races unless damaged or uneven wear from bearing. If swapping race, recommend replace bearing, too. Recommend using a good quality lithium grease on bearing. If hand packing, get all of the voids out of the grease.

-
Back