Wheel Brands (Specialty Wheel or Wheel Vintiques)

-

1badfish67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any feedback on the reproduction Mopar Rallyes from these two companies?

Quality of finish, fitment to the car, trim ring fit to the wheel and center cap fitting.

I'm looking at the 14x6, 14x7 and 14x8 SBP wheels.

I bought SBP Wheel Vintiques Rallyes from Summit. They look great but the trim rings do not fit flat against the inner part of the wheel due to the backspacing/offset. Sucks because I have brand new, in the packaging NOS beauty rings but I'm not ordering different wheels. I'll just run without the beauty rings now. '72 style center caps fit perfectly

Here are the wheels I bought. I've test fit the back and they do fit with about 1/2" clearance between the tire and the quarter lip. Assuming fronts fit but haven't test fit them yet.
Wheel, Chrysler Rallye, Steel, Silver, 14 in.x 6 in., 5 x 4 in. Bolt Circle, 4 in. Backspace (Bought for Front)
Wheel, Chrysler Rallye, Steel, Silver, 14 in.x 7 in., 5 x 4 in. Bolt Circle, 4.25 in. Backspace (Bought for Rear)

I bought SBP Wheel Vintiques Rallyes from Summit. They look great but the trim rings do not fit flat against the inner part of the wheel due to the backspacing/offset. Sucks because I have brand new, in the packaging NOS beauty rings but I'm not ordering different wheels. I'll just run without the beauty rings now. '72 style center caps fit perfectly

Here are the wheels I bought. I've test fit the back and they do fit with about 1/2" clearance between the tire and the quarter lip. Assuming fronts fit but haven't test fit them yet.
Wheel, Chrysler Rallye, Steel, Silver, 14 in.x 6 in., 5 x 4 in. Bolt Circle, 4 in. Backspace (Bought for Front)
Wheel, Chrysler Rallye, Steel, Silver, 14 in.x 7 in., 5 x 4 in. Bolt Circle, 4.25 in. Backspace (Bought for Rear)
Me too. It's like they welded the centers in on the wrong side of the hoop. One side has a pretty square drop and should be on the inside.

Me too. It's like they welded the centers in on the wrong side of the hoop. One side has a pretty square drop and should be on the inside.
They need to produce beauty rings that fit their wheels like the factory ones fit.

Pulled this image from google to show exactly what I'm talking about. The ring doesn't sit against the inner part of the wheel. If they change the offset, they need to make a beauty ring that makes up for the offset being moved and fits tight.

ralley158.JPG

Should be no gap, like this:

images.jpeg

Photo #1 are stock wheels and polished trim rings. The second pic is a 7" wide Vintiques. Note, as marked, the sharp drop between the rim and center. The trim ring rubs on that sharp edge and distorts the trim ring. They wobble because you can't install them fully or flat against the bead.

20151018_145009.jpg

20160510_171028.jpg

Photo #1 are stock wheels and polished trim rings. The second pic is a 7" wide Vintiques. Note, as marked, the sharp drop between the rim and center. The trim ring rubs on that sharp edge and distorts the trim ring. They wobble because you can't install them fully or flat against the bead.

View attachment 1716085585

View attachment 1716085586
That may be but mine are too short. They have a gap when the trim ring is installed. What is the offset of your wheel and how wide are your trim rings?

It seems like you are asking them to produce a different width of beauty ring for every different wheel offset they offer. Or at least, that's what it seems like it would take. No?

If they are just reproducing the factory beauty rings exactly, you would expect them to fit a 5.5" wide wheel, but that's it.

As for Mike's observation, that is kind of what happens when you put a much wider rim on the same center — you get this deep crevice. Again, it would require a new design of beauty ring, not just a reproduction of the factory style. The wheel makers would have to decide if all this customization would be financially worthwhile.

That may be but mine are too short. They have a gap when the trim ring is installed. What is the offset of your wheel and how wide are your trim rings?
The 7's are 4.25 backspace and the rings are for 7's.

It seems like you are asking them to produce a different width of beauty ring for every different wheel offset they offer. Or at least, that's what it seems like it would take. No?
Correct. At least for the ones they produce to sell to vendors like Summit. Summit carries 4 and 4.25 backspacing for the 14" SBP wheel

Here's a video of what I am talking about. The outside flat part of the trim ring is on as far as the rim will allow. It's the squared drop of the rim that comes in contact with the tapered part of the trim ring preventing it from going on all the way.

Here's a video of what I am talking about. The outside flat part of the trim ring is on as far as the rim will allow. It's the squared drop of the rim that comes in contact with the tapered part of the trim ring preventing it from going on all the way.

yeah, that's too bad. Mine likely fit the same way but I'm just going to leave them off. The inner gap is a deal breaker for me.

I should try some of their trim rings. These look like they fit.

ralley wheels.jpg

But I don't see any listed on their website to fit these wheels.

Here is the difference in the wheel drop centers. If the taper was at the front I bet my trim rings would fit.

wheel vintiques..jpg

Stock setup definitely looks better without any gap between ring and the center for the wheel. I saw the Wheel Vintiques on Classic Industries website. Coker says that there wheels are made by Specialty Wheel. Anyone know if these two wheel vendors get their wheels from the same manufacturer and the manufacturer just puts them in different vendor boxes for public sale?

If they are just reproducing the factory beauty rings exactly, you would expect them to fit a 5.5" wide wheel, but that's it.

As for Mike's observation, that is kind of what happens when you put a much wider rim on the same center — you get this deep crevice. Again, it would require a new design of beauty ring, not just a reproduction of the factory style. The wheel makers would have to decide if all this customization would be financially worthwhile.
May be a dumb question but her goes. Were the trim rings for the 5.5" and 7" factory wheels the same length or did the factory produce separate trim rings for each?

Coker says that their 2.25" trim ring is for their 14x7" (4.25" BS) wheel. However they do also sell a 2.5" trim ring in 14". Wonder if the 2.5" step trim ring would take up any remaining gap?

Search results for: 'trim rings'

-
Back