Wheel hub sources?

-

Nomad8324

Reaction score
Since I'm in the middle of redoing my entire brake system I got to talking with a guy at work about pressing out the hubs from the old drums and into the new drums and he suggested probably could get new hubs for not too much money and just get new parts pressed in and have it be easier overall given how the brake system has been fighting me.

The only downside when i went to go look for new wheel hub (front only? or they on the rear too? haven't made it that far yet) nobody and i mean nobody stocks a wheel hub for a dart. Unless I'm missing it in the a sea of "hub cap" finds during my searches.

If used is the only option I might as well go with plan A and hope they don't destroy them pressing them out.

As far as I know, used hubs are your only choice...

Make sure the person doing your work understands that on your front drums the swedge around the wheel studs must be cut or machined off or when he attempts to press out the studs he will mess up the stud holes in the hubs.

Brian

Your friend is making needless work and worry for you. Unless a bearing race spun, the hub should be re-usable. It is rugged forged steel. Anything new that isn't "old stock" could be inferior metal.

The only way I know to get new hubs is with the 1973+ front disk brakes, since the rotor and hub is integral, or after-market disk setups like Wilwood. The former also requires changing the spindle, both ball joints and upper control arm, so not trivial.

Unlikely your drums haven't already been changed once. If so, the swedge is already gone. I have removed drums by throwing them down (on inside edge) in a (vacant) parking lot until the hub falls out.

There is no hub in the rear. The wheel bolts to the "axle". It is possible to pull out the whole axle and replace the seal, but that requires cutting off and pressing on a new tapered roller bearing (or newer Green bearing), so a shop job.

To separate the hub from the drum, you must cut the wheel studs as close to the drum as possible, center punch each one and drill a 3/8 hole into each one , but not all the way through each one. This will allow them to be driven out with a punch. Failure to do it in this manner will ruin the hub because the swedged part of the stud will enlarge the wheel stud holes. I have also had good success placing a metal cutting 5/8 hole saw over the studs and drilling the swedged pare of each stud off and knocking them out that way. Either way will work, but failure to do either and you'll be looking for another hub. No one makes new ones.

Stop! Wait! Hold On! Please read the message from Brian (bcschief) before you proceed. Quite a bit has been written about it. I wanted to replace the LH studs with RH studs and my brake guy pounded it out and enlarged the hole and the new stud won't fit tightly. I think he only did this on one hole. I found a used hub/drum at the junk yard with RH threads. It cost $70. It was pretty dirty and had some rust. I hope it will clean up and be usable.

Also read RustyRatRod's response. There is a good article on this subject on the 62to65mopar site.

-
Back