Wheel spacer vs. wheel adapter

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I just bought a new set of rims for my car and have run into a bit of an issue. The rims are only sold in one size and backspacing, which works fine for the back, but I will need a spacer in the front to make them fit. However, it's a pretty big spacer that I need, 1.75 inches. I've seen them in two styles, so I was curious if there was really a difference between the two. The two routes I'm looking at are a set of "adapters" that bolt on and have a set of studs pressed into them. I don't need a bolt pattern change and I can get them that way, but the other option I was looking at was just putting bigger studs in the front (3 inch ones) and using a solid spacer that just has holes drilled in it and no studs. Would there really be a difference between the two options? I don't really like the idea of studs pressed into an aluminum block, but then again really long studs don't seem much better since I'll only be using the last inch or so for the wheel. I was also told by one place that I need a hub and wheel centric design or else the steering wheel will shake on the highway, but can anyone confirm this?

Neither option is a good one, really should be using wheels with the correct backspacing to work without an adapter or spacer. But bolting on an adapter with seperate studs will have two places with potential tolerance inaccuracies that could add up to enough runout to have the wheels not run true. A spacer will only have the tolerance innaccuracy of the studs in the hub. Most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric and normally don't present a problem.

Sounds like you purchased wheels for a FWD vehicle and I question how you could get away without using a spacer on the rear without the tire interfering with the springs.

Well, I swapped an E body axle into the rear and needed the extra backspacing to keep the rims inside the wells. I really didn't want to mess with cutting it up and modifying it to A body specs, so I just moved the perches in. Rim choice is pretty crappy when you need that big of backspacing, so I was out of luck no matter what I did. It's pretty hard to find 5+ inches of backspace and only 3.5 inches on the same wheel style in anything but the generic race wheels.

That's what I ended up going with for now, we'll see how it works. I found a good deal on a pair, so at least I can get the car rolling on the new tires and drive it around town for a while to see how it reacts. I can't really see any good way around it other than different rims, but I really don't want a mismatched set, it would just look too weird. I've heard about everything on the things. Some people have had them for years without issues and some won't even look at them.

-
Back