Wheel spin issues

-
few frames in and off the line, car is settling down but still separating the rear leafs, tyres now hooked.

I use all the factory control arms, strut rods, slant 6 torsion bars, leaf spring rear no snubber or traction bars. Has gone 1.53 on G70-14 Polyglass tires. Its all about the shocks.

Like I was telling my buddy a few weekends ago after I got his new motor's timing, carb and transmission kickdown all dialed in and running way better than it was before all the basics were set up properly, they're called speed secrets for a reason. Not everyone knows them.

I can count on one hand the number of cars with properly set-up slapper bars out of the hundreds cars I have seen in my life that had them bolted on. You are right, they will wrap the front spring segment if the snubber is placed in back of the front spring eyelet. Also, they won't do anything for you if the snubber is too far away from touching the spring eyelet.

Most slapper bars do not fit right straight out of the box. They typically have to have the rear mounting perch cut, adjusted and rewelded to properly place the snubber (of which you should cut about 1/3 of it off) directly over and just barely touching the front spring eye right where the front bolt attaches through the leaf spring.

Once properly adjusted, make sure to use quality hardware to attach it firmly to the spring, retorque them a few times and check them regularly.

When properly set-up, the work exceptionally well on the semi-elliptical rear leaf design of Mopars.

I learned that in 1971.
I didn't have the fastest or quickest 70 Swinger340-4spd around, but while everyone else in hi-school was spending coin on their motors , I was learning to harness what I had. No, non-slapper-bar, A-body could touch me.I burned up a lot of tires before I got those, custom made.

So we finished the rear on my friends blown hemi ute.
We fabricated up alot of bits and we ended up raising the rear of the car, adjusting the pinion angle, Moved the shocks, and fabricated these ladder bars.
We made it so it can still articulate and not bind up when getting out of a driveway etc.

Attachments

• DSC_0656.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0660.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 101
-
Back