Wheels for a 69 Swinger 340 wanted

-

magnaman

Reaction score
I have a 69 Swinger 340 with the 4" bolt circle on the front (disc brakes) and the 4.5" bolt circle on the rear (8 3/4 rear). I want to put on some nice rims and beefy tires, I'd like Magnums but 5 spoke Cragars will do. It looks to me like 275 60 15's would fit in the back but I'm looking for options. Thanks in advance, Dave.

Dave, You will soon find 2 things out.

1 The 4" bolt pattern isn't the easiest to find rims for. Your choices for factory rims are Rallyes, and steel wheels.

Aftermarket choices are cragers,centerlines, slots and expensive custom made.

Your best bet is to swap to 4.5" if the front too.

Problem 2. Not much room in the back for tires. Most run a 245-60.

Unless the springs are moved in the widest tire under the back is 9inches!

I agree with Adam,move up to the 4.5inch pattern in the front also.
A lot bigger selection of wheels! :)

If you order Willwoods front disc brake kit, the hub has both the 4" and 4.5 in bolt pattern, which can come in handy. IF not go to the junkyard and get the front discs out of a 73 and up A body, you'll save but youll still have to replace certain parts of their no good, and if you can find them (im not sure how available parts for this setup are). But as for the 4", good luck finding something

Wilwoods are 4.25" and 4.5" for GM/ Fprd and Mopar not 4".

It was printed in an article that they were 4" and 4.5" but it was wrong. I checked in to it. SSBC selles a kit thats bolth 4/4.5 and its a better set up for a street car.

With 4" bolt pattern, you are pretty much stuck with 14" rims and a 235/60/14 max tire width. I have a set of 4 small pattern slotted aluminum wheels that came off of a 69 Barracuda parts car that woud need a good cleaning and polishing that I'd let go cheap.
Mike

you are pretty much stuck with 14" rims and a 235/60/14 max tire width

i was running a 245/60/14 on my dart with no problems... don't know how much bigger they are then a 235/60..

Wheel Vintiques (sp?) will make you repro 15" ralleyes with the small bolt pattern if you want. Seeing as the lug bolts are smaller on the 4" upgrading is worthwhile.

Damn your right, I barely checked out the bolt pattern on the new hub and its 4.5 or 4.75. I read the instructions for the first time and it says it right there too! When i got these discs 3 1/2 years ago i didnt even care about bolt patterns, and im barely gonna do this now. It doesnt matter, this weekend is half off at the junkyard, ill get some bigger bolt pattern rims for cheap. Gonna slap some cheap VW tires on them. Check out what ive done so far..... http://mopar-speed.com/Projects/Discs.html

-
Back