Wheels to Heavy for 7 1/4

-

TF360

Reaction score
Trying to get some opinions- Contemplating weather or not I am going to put some big wheels and tires on my slant Duster (235/60/15) in the back. With heavier rims and tires will the 7 1/4 hold up or will it put pressure on the bearings ect. What do you guys think?

It's not likely the slant will tear it up unless you have a standard transmission and dump the clutch a lot. The larger tire size will however kill any MPG you may be getting and make the slant a bit of a dog. Or more of one depending on mods.... If this is a turbocharged car that voids all previous comments....

Ok, just wondering if the bigger heavier wheels will cause ant rear end problems-stress anything- automatic car-just a cruiser

Thats not a giant tire. Shouldnt be any problem. You dont have enough power to break anything.The rotational mass wont make a big difference

Thats not a giant tire. Shouldnt be any problem. You dont have enough power to break anything.The rotational mass wont make a big difference

This.

I ran my Duster with a 318/904 and 225/60/15's for awhile when it still had the 7 1/4 in it. Heck I even managed over 500 miles on it when it was behind my 400+ hp 340 with a 4 speed and 225/60/15's. No launches or burnouts with that set up, and it was still working when I finally got around to swapping it for a 8 3/4.

With a /6 and those tires you should be fine as long as the 7 1/4 is in good working condition. If it's an auto trans you really shouldn't have any issues.

Tires and wheels are unsprung weight and don't effect bearings. The sprung weight of the car will effect bearing life.

A very long time ago(1976), I had a DD 69 Barracuda slanty/7.25. I was running Protrac N50-15s on 10" steel Kragar SSs. That was a heavy, heavy combo. But guess what, every single ounce of them was supported by the highway under the treads. So no problem. At 55Mph, though the body and tires would combine frequencies to drive me crazy. 50 was ok, 60 was fine. I still remember the sound; whoo-whoo-whoo-whoo-whoo......reverberating through the cabin.
BTW, Ns were huge; probably like 325s. Had to have air shocks on it, cuz the treads were pumping air on the outside of the wheelhouses. I was 23.What the heck did I know. But man-O-man was I cool.lol

I have 295-50-15 tires on my Dart. It has a hopped up 318 and an O/D four speed. Done some hard launches and haven't broken it yet. Still assembling the 8 3/4 and need to have yhe drive shaft shortened

A very long time ago(1976), I had a DD 69 Barracuda slanty/7.25. I was running Protrac N50-15s on 10" steel Kragar SSs. That was a heavy, heavy combo. But guess what, every single ounce of them was supported by the highway under the treads. So no problem. At 55Mph, though the body and tires would combine frequencies to drive me crazy. 50 was ok, 60 was fine. I still remember the sound; whoo-whoo-whoo-whoo-whoo......reverberating through the cabin.
BTW, Ns were huge; probably like 325s. Had to have air shocks on it, cuz the treads were pumping air on the outside of the wheelhouses. I was 23.What the heck did I know. But man-O-man was I cool.lol

LOL Brings back memories at the speed shop. Lot's of N50's on 15x10's. They were very popular on Camaros.

Yea, I had n 50's on my Duster back in 1986, but that was with a 8 3/4 rear. That little 7 1/4 does not look like it would support the heavier wheels and tires. Any other comments

If the 7 1/4 breaks... you'll have your answer.

The good news is there are plenty of'm around - and cheap! Or it might be the perfect opportunity to upgrade to an 8 3/4 or Dana 60. (8 1/4 is another option but you may as well over build than regret it down the road if you choose to swap the /6)

I actually have a 7 1/4 B body rear 5 on 4.5 pattern that came from a 68 Coronet 4dr 273 car.

When I say support, I mean axels ect. inside rotating the heavier wheels. Heavier unsprung-

-
Back