When do we get old

-
I have lived as free and as fast as I could for most of my life. Even since I met Mary, I play with the cars and live like a single guy with all sorts of toys to play with.
Even today, I don't even think that I am old until I see a reflection in a window or a mirror.
I have no daily medications to take. I have decent energy. No daily aches or pains either.
When I turned 50, the nagging thought of mortality crept in.
I'd already lost both Parents, both Brothers and all my Aunts and Uncles so death was no longer something that just happened to people that I barely knew.
I don't dwell on the end, I just think about it more than I want to. Before, it rarely occurred to me that my time was limited.

I'm a young 72, still working at the job I've had for over 30 years because I love doing it. Just bought an inversion table to help my back pain. I'm going through my Barracuda fixing small things I let go on the build. I just started body and paint on my friends gen 1 radical built bronco. But the guy looking back in the mirror is an old guy. Where did he come from?

Seeing ZZ and Cheap Trick at Verizon Ampitheater in a month. Invited several friends! We can feel old at the show! Hope they preform well!
both great bands. saw ZZ a few years ago when they opened for tom petty, cheap trick...must be over 30 years ago. sheesh, now we're back to gettin' old :lol:

It's easy to figure out, at 40-45 you can consider yourself middle age. Now at 64 , unless I'm going to live to 128, I'm well past middle age!

I'm 53. Doc is telling me I NEED a shoulder replacement. Going in for a 3 level lumbar fusion this fall. Have enough pseudo gout and arthritis in my hands that I have to have straps on the sides of all my cameras simply to avoid dropping them. I no longer have the high level of drive...nor aggression...that I once had.

There have been many nights that I hope for it to be my last.

Doc that will be doing the fusion has told me that I am so tore up because I lived my life...

I played hard.....and worked even harder.

I think you're old when you start giving up the things you love to do, whether it's cars or whatever.

I feel extremely lucky and privileged with good genes. I’m 62, both parents still alive, although Dad is not so good.
I’ve always been active, even playing in a coed soccer league up until a couple years ago (quit to save my knees).
Two kids, who are 30 and 28, and I want to show them that you can be “young”, even in your sixties.
And God bless my my wife, who is a year older than me. She goes to the health club and works out like a mad man.
Still counting my blessings and hoping to live a good more years.

I was raised at a small SW Ga town, HS class was 66 total kids in class of 1966. I lost most of my best friends, and they did not make it to 59 even.
I came along when my parents were in early to mid 40's, and an only child, they passed decades ago. There is a site on FB where all the kids from that town of classes of 50 and 60's are kept up with. Half of us have already passed. Close friend passed just last Tue.
We all know life is limited. The older we get, the more we realize it. Everyone just needs to make the most of or time on this Earth. We know that, just need a reminder some times!!

I woke up today feeling old and down on power. I turn 57 this week.

I didn't take care of myself when I was younger( drugs,alchohol,obesity) and always told myself that some day I should take care of myself. Got rid of drugs and booze long ago but obesity hangs on. At 70 I'm paying for it all.

I feel extremely lucky and privileged with good genes. I’m 62, both parents still alive, although Dad is not so good.
I’ve always been active, even playing in a coed soccer league up until a couple years ago (quit to save my knees).
Two kids, who are 30 and 28, and I want to show them that you can be “young”, even in your sixties.
And God bless my my wife, who is a year older than me. She goes to the health club and works out like a mad man.
Still counting my blessings and hoping to live a good more years.
"good genes"...have been told by almost every doc I see that they play a large part in our aging process. Don't know whether to believe them or not.
Truly hope that the surgeon that will be working on my back was telling me the truth....she told me that as long as the rest of me is not to badly tore up that I will be able to get off of the pain meds. I really feel that being on the Dopioids is playing a large part of my general well being. I am simply exhausted. My eyes are bloodshot most of the time. I hope that she is right...I would really like to return to my old self...I miss me....

If you don't grow up by 40 you don't have to. Old is a attitude thing for the most part. I am 69 but try not to think old. When we lived in Florida I saw so many seniors just stop functioning. It was sad. Have to do something every day that scares you a little.

I think you're old when you start giving up the things you love to do, whether it's cars or whatever.

If only this were true.....depression makes you give up the things you love to do....it is a well known fact that chronic pain causes depression....

If only this were true.....depression makes you give up the things you love to do....it is a well known fact that chronic pain causes depression....

Well yeah, but we're talkin about gettin old, not depression. Depression makes you do all kinda things you normally wouldn't. You and I both know that all too well.

Someone cracked a tampon joke the other day at work. I had to think when was the last time I saw one of those!

I feel fortunate as I will turn 60 this month. I have aches and pain in my back but I work thru it daily with aleeve and back medication when its really bad. Doc says I have arthritis in my back and in my hands. Good thing is i dont have it in my knees (yet). I play and walk at least 54 holes of golf weekly and I use a teeter to hang from trying to stay loose.
I tell my wife and kids that life is broken down into 3 stages, 1st stage (birth to mid 20's) is growing up and having your parents and teachers tell you what to do and when to do it. 2nd stage (mid 20's to mid fifties) is raising your kids and that takes all of your time and money as well as sets up your social functions in life, and finally the 3rd stage is for you to do as you damn well please because its your time and you have earned it!!
Im in that 3rd stage and I do pretty much as I want and when I want it. I try not to take to much away from the others in my family but I want them to understand at this age we only have so many good years left I want to make the most of them as I have given everything I could during that 2nd stage.
I look in the mirror and I dont see an old man yet. Hoping that never happens!
Rod

I feel fortunate as I will turn 60 this month. I have aches and pain in my back but I work thru it daily with aleeve and back medication when its really bad. Doc says I have arthritis in my back and in my hands. Good thing is i dont have it in my knees (yet). I play and walk at least 54 holes of golf weekly and I use a teeter to hang from trying to stay loose.
I tell my wife and kids that life is broken down into 3 stages, 1st stage (birth to mid 20's) is growing up and having your parents and teachers tell you what to do and when to do it. 2nd stage (mid 20's to mid fifties) is raising your kids and that takes all of your time and money as well as sets up your social functions in life, and finally the 3rd stage is for you to do as you damn well please because its your time and you have earned it!!
Im in that 3rd stage and I do pretty much as I want and when I want it. I try not to take to much away from the others in my family but I want them to understand at this age we only have so many good years left I want to make the most of them as I have given everything I could during that 2nd stage.
I look in the mirror and I dont see an old man yet. Hoping that never happens!
Rod
My philosophy of life mirrors yours. Thou the way you have broke it down explains it better. Well put.

When I turned 50, the nagging thought of mortality crept in. I'd already lost both Parents, both Brothers and all my Aunts and Uncles so death was no longer something that just happened to people that I barely knew. I don't dwell on the end, I just think about it more than I want to. Before, it rarely occurred to me that my time was limited.

Same here brother! I'm 51 now, and I think about the end more than I'd like to! I do have some aches and pains along with arthritis, but I thank God that I'm doing as well as I am.

Someone cracked a tampon joke the other day at work. I had to think when was the last time I saw one of those!

I sure had it all wrong in my mind. My thought was no monthly nasty stuff and I could play all month long. How great would that be!!

Apparently I skipped school the day they taught the lesson on Men -o- pause, lol :BangHead:

Yep ! When.. I always drive a little to fast, I listen to Clapton, Allman Bros., ZZ, SRV, etc. I look at the young things (not to young, I'm a grandfather, late 20's ok). When I look in the mirror, it's me, a bit banged up but still me. I'm walk a little slower, have aches, a little less hair, more stomach, but I still wake up to the big top sheets some mornings, no problem there. Wife of 42 yrs. is seven years younger, that's always been a benefit.

My dad seemed old, although he passed two years before my current age. He was home, in his garden or just relaxing on the patio and satisfied. He came over in '31, and lived through the depression, raised three boys, so I know he earned the right to sit back.

Me, I hate sitting in the house, can't watch much TV, in the garage at night cleaning up things that don't need cleaning or moving things around. Music on, a cold one, munching on something and thinking what can I build here or in the basement. Sometimes we jump in the car at night and just drive somewhere 20 miles for a coffee or something just to be out. Travel when we can get away. Always something, and yet I'm looking around the corner wondering.

I'm wondering when that old guy is going to kick in. I'll be 70 (holy ****) this Oct. and I guess that number has me wondering what's next, besides the inevitable, which I don't ponder. :)
I am pretty sure they hung the guy that came up with "Golden Years" right next the the jerk that invented work.

I am pretty sure they hung the guy that came up with "Golden Years" right next the the jerk that invented work.

When do we get old ?
I don't know , but I`m workin on it !
Will let u know ------------

Your only as old as you act.
Sometimes acting can be difficult....lol

-
Back