When is a new car "yours"?

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My BIL gave me a boat recently, and yesterday afternoon I had it up at the house for a thorough clean-out and pressure wash. My wife says this is part of my ritual with new equipment to "make it mine", and while I was pressure washing it I realized she may be onto something. When I bought my new (to me) 3/4 ton pickup out in Portland a few months back, despite having the receipt for it, the truck really didn't feel like it was "mine" until I:

* Thoroughly washed it, both inside and out
* Cleaned-out the glove box and all other storage compartments
* Changed the oil, the transmission fluid, and the rear-end lube
* Did a coolant flush & fill
* Checked and bled the brakes
* Fixed all the little annoying things (burned-out bulbs, rattle in the dash, etc).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, so I'm curious as to what others do to "make it yours".

Thanks.

Jim

My BIL gave me a boat recently, and yesterday afternoon I had it up at the house for a thorough clean-out and pressure wash. My wife says this is part of my ritual with new equipment to "make it mine", and while I was pressure washing it I realized she may be onto something. When I bought my new (to me) 3/4 ton pickup out in Portland a few months back, despite having the receipt for it, the truck really didn't feel like it was "mine" until I:

* Thoroughly washed it, both inside and out
* Cleaned-out the glove box and all other storage compartments
* Changed the oil, the transmission fluid, and the rear-end lube
* Did a coolant flush & fill
* Checked and bled the brakes
* Fixed all the little annoying things (burned-out bulbs, rattle in the dash, etc).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, so I'm curious as to what others do to "make it yours".

Thanks.

Jim

For me it takes time.
When I first got my Dart I would swear it was testing me.
All kinds of little things, like it quit driving down the street for no apparent reason.
Then I would find some stupid little thing and fix it.
Then something else, and this went on for a couple of weeks.
Finally one day it straightened up and didn’t have any problems at all.
Almost like it was testing me to find out if I was worthy of owning it.
Or maybe it owning me. :D

I would thank it when it did good, and pretty much never chastise it, but apologize to it for failing to give it better if it had a problem.

Now it makes interstate trips like it’s nothing.

Never have been able to figure out if it’s a male or female though, which is odd.
All my other cars have made that pretty obvious.

Last edited:
When you get the MCO for the car. Aka the Manufacture Certificate of Origin. And if you only get a title from the state, that means they own it.

When I drove my GTX and it became new again? It's mine.

20180823_115241.jpg

I consider it mine when I am able to beat on it and not break anything serious. After a couple burnouts and maybe a good four wheel drift, if it's still running, we're good!

-
Back