when it rains it pours

-
Where do you get automotive fire extinguishers? I've been wondering ever since a voltage regulator misshap almost burned my dart to the ground.

There isnt a specific fire ext for automtive, its simply different Classes of fire extinguisers, and the size of them.

Sorry Terry, Im about as much help as Bubbles when it comes to electrical. Yer in good hands with Redfish and 67dart273

goodness gracious!! well so far from what i've seen its jst the dk blue wire. all of the other wires appear to be okay. there are acouple of spots on the other wires that the coating got hot from it being next to it but no bare spots

OK, How I would replace that wire... I would go to the part store and buy dk.blue wire of both wire gauge and if it has the white tracer I would buy some white heat shrink tubing. Cut about 1/8" long to create a white marker every inch or so along the wire. Amazon vendors have heat shrink in most any size and color. Makes color coding wires too easy.

update, well i got my new front lights/engine harness. i also went ahead an got a new coil, ballast, ecm, voltage regulator, and altenator, and proceeded to tear into it. my biggest worry was answered when i looked up under the dash. the dash wiring is fubar'ed aswell. theres a dark blue wire under there that connects to the ignition switch and also heads over to the fuse block its completly burnt up aswell. my nieghbor across the street has a 71 4dr dart that he said i can have the harness from. my main concern is will i be able to use it? my dart is a swinger340 and has the rallye dash. can i take the connections off of my old harness and put them on the regular harness? i hope this can work cause i cannot afford a new dash harness, let alone get another used one my well has run dry

That is the wire that I told you was cooked in a earlier post. The only differences you will find from one year or model to another is the size of the wire and which pin it goes to of the main inst' panel connector and if there is a branch to the fuse box or not. I dont know for sure if 71 has that branch or not but I wouldn't butcher a good rallye harness for it anyway. Lots of stores sell wire.

thanks RedFish. i dont want to butcher my harness either. im still gonna get the other 71 harness cause my nieghbor offered it to me, dash and everything for free. so atleast i'll have the white connectors where the ignition switch wiring connects to the dash harness. plus a new fuse block i have yet to cut the wrap off of it yet but if it was anything like my engine harness was, atleast i'll have the extra wires incase. do you think the alt gauge will be okay? i'll get some new blue wire aswell is there any other areas that i might want to check? i did order a new dash voltage regulator the same time i ordered my engine harness but i didnt see a old one attached to my dash? do i need this is? it somewhere else? yearone says it mounts behind the fuel gauge. i also noticed that my horn relay wire connector was melted a bit too

I'm sorry but I shake my head at people who drive 40 year old cars everyday, you don't have to own a new car but a 10 year old car around here can be had cheap (under $500 usually needing only a muffler or very small work)

I consider my older mopars toys only now, I would never put them as my only driver

well sometimes 66plyvaliant when your flat broke, have a wife that is the only one working, paying the bills and putting groceries on the table those 500 dollar beaters are kinda outta reach. ive been outta work for nearly 2yrs due to a medical problem and the economy. and i agree having a 40 yr old car as a daily driver isnt the greatest but hey it is what it is. im not posting this for a handout or advise on what should be a daily driver. im posting because im a fellow mopar a-body owner that needs help on my electrical problems. so plz excuse me when you see me driving my 340 swinger to the store to get groceries in the rain or taking my son to school when its foggy. so if you have any info on my issue regarding my wiring harness feel free too chime in and help like the others are doing. i dont need to hear about how ya shake your head when you see people driving old cars everyday.
if i offended you im sorry but i have alot on my plate right now that im trying to get right

Instrument voltage regulator is inside the 3 post rallye fuel gauge. You've ordered a part that you car cant use. Maybe you can send it back. The one built in your gauge may not be damaged although it does get its power from the same blue wire.
The ALT gauge... It has a red wire and a black wire. Make a mental note of where red is if you intend to reconnect those wires. RED is written on the printed circuit board but you wont be able to see it during install. If you would rather just hook those 2 wires together and have a dead ALT' gauge, go for it.
No real need to "cut" into the harness. The blue wire goes to the bulkhead connection so you will be going there too. So I suggest you go under the hood and disconnect those 3 plugs. Push the bulkhead connector inside the cabin. Go inside a bring the bulkhead connector out toward you for service. Next you can unwrap what looks like electric tape, replace a wire and wrap the harness right back the way it was. A bunch of gluey electric tape is just a mess next time.

well sometimes 66plyvaliant when your flat broke, have a wife that is the only one working, paying the bills and putting groceries on the table those 500 dollar beaters are kinda outta reach. ive been outta work for nearly 2yrs due to a medical problem and the economy. and i agree having a 40 yr old car as a daily driver isnt the greatest but hey it is what it is. im not posting this for a handout or advise on what should be a daily driver. im posting because im a fellow mopar a-body owner that needs help on my electrical problems. so plz excuse me when you see me driving my 340 swinger to the store to get groceries in the rain or taking my son to school when its foggy. so if you have any info on my issue regarding my wiring harness feel free too chime in and help like the others are doing. i dont need to hear about how ya shake your head when you see people driving old cars everyday.
if i offended you im sorry but i have alot on my plate right now that im trying to get right

i solute you good sir. i drive my 68 satellite 4 door in the snow to get to my underpaying job everyday, and to know someone is also shaking their head at me for working hard and driving an old car kinda gets me steamed. but i will let it go cause i get to hear the rumble of a small block mopar every morning. there is nothing sweeter when it fires on the first crank in 20 degree weather. good luck with the dart

-
Back