WHEN MEN WERE MEN-CARS MADE OF US STEEL

-
You couldn't let the average person today anywhere near that stuff.:D

Pretty cool though.

You couldn't let the average person today anywhere near that stuff.:D

Pretty cool though.
I agree 100 percent, lots of that stuff looked very dangerous!! Not to mention back breaking....I think every young kid should be forced to watch that short movie.

Treblig

Cool video! Certainly real work. Did you see them forging the cranks? Very cool (well, very, very hot!)

I think all these sniveling snowflakes should be made to work a week doing that kind of work.

There was a large machine shop (Landis Tool Co.) a couple blocks from my house growing up. In the summer I went to sleep by the "thump, thump, thump" of the foundry. After high school (and vo-tech during high school) I went to work there running a turret lathe. Not near as hard work as those guys though!!!

I've always been even more impressed with the incredible machines that they used to build the other machines in these videos. That was a really hard days work.

For sure, this was when people knew how to make something with their hands and skills. No CNC machining here folks!

If that don't make you proud, you'd better check your f*#kin pulse! How could the country not be strong, when THAT was a days work for most men. I believe I was getting misty! Thanks for posting that. If an OSHA guy watches that, he might stroke out!

The sand casting and pouring for the cylinder blocks was amazing. Thou I was told this was how it was done, This is the first time I was able to see the process. Can you imagine the amount of injuries that occurred in a single shift! At todays labor cost, to build one by hand like that would cost 100 K. Thanks for posting this, it was great!

I agree with everyone who has posted here. I can't imagine slinging red hot crankshafts ALL DAY!!! To make things even worse the worker had to sling the molten crankshafts at the end on those long tongs (requiring even more strength). My bother sent me the link because I built a 35 Chevy hot rod about 15 years ago. He wanted me to see how the 35 Chevys were built back in the day.

It's really interesting and eye opening to see how hard those folks had to work (in very, very hot conditions) all day.

Treblig

thanks Treblig for t hat cool video. those workers had better be awake, NOT on dope, or be hung over from Sat night or they might loss a finger, hand, or eyeball!!!!
back when Detroit made ... real cars out of real steel, men were men, and sheep were nervous.... wait, that sheep thing is San Francisco, Ca. and Billings, Mt. ! ha

thanks Treblig for t hat cool video. those workers had better be awake, NOT on dope, or be hung over from Sat night or they might loss a finger, hand, or eyeball!!!!
back when Detroit made ... real cars out of real steel, men were men, and sheep were nervous.... wait, that sheep thing is San Francisco, Ca. and Billings, Mt. ! ha

I had a cousin loose a hand in a rock crusher back in the 50s. He was cleaning out the huge rollers and somebody accidentally turned the machine back on. With no one to help him (and the rollers rolling) he had to literally pull the remaining part of his hand out of the rollers leaving behind all his fingers and all the ligaments out of the back of his hand.

treblig

I had a cousin loose a hand in a rock crusher back in the 50s. He was cleaning out the huge rollers and somebody accidentally turned the machine back on. With no one to help him (and the rollers rolling) he had to literally pull the remaining part of his hand out of the rollers leaving behind all his fingers and all the ligaments out of the back of his hand.

treblig
This is why they came up with Lock out-Tag out procedures!

Not sure where the Billings, MT thing came from, but Provincetown, MASS, yes

25 million people driving and 5 million employed to make that possible...think about all the jobs there'd be if it still took one autoworker per 5 drivers

Not sure where the Billings, MT thing came from, but Provincetown, MASS, yes

Billings???? ha...(just kidding bout there! )... only because some raise sheep there rather than cattle! and maybe because some of the overly strange left coast nuts move that far East! ha

-
Back