When the hood goes pop... What makes the jaw drop?

-
What about a 340 with hemi conversion heads? I've never even heard of those until recently.

One thing that will catch my eye is a set of injection stacks. I love stock and modified cars so I'm not inferring that one choice is better than another but there is nothing more impressive to me than an old school Hemi. - Even a 1st gen 331, 354, or 392.

yup, stacks it is
that or a blower

I really don't care to see modern engines in classis cars, but that is just my opinion

426 Max Wedge, with a cross-ram intake manifold and those great looking upswept exhaust manifolds.

when you run 10's in a 100 % stock appearing small block engine bay, including carb, intake and exhaust manifolds. THAT, my friend, will stick with them for years to come............

For a functional daily driver it is hard to beat a late model fuel injected small block or late model hemi. That being said I like a clean period correct engine compartment. Doesn't have to be 100 percent old school as some modern bolt on stuff work really well. Love the Hilborn injector stacks with the tennis balls plugging them up. Old direct connection valve covers look good. Large tube headers with white coating . Double points for fender well headers. I love the nostalgia drag race look.

Anything that just looks plain ol' good

IMG_0727.jpg

This is pretty impressive.

Engine shot of 69 Cuda known as “SICFISH”. The 1969 Barracuda you see here has been treated to 200k (not a misprint) in upgrades by the builder. For starters this pro-stock lookalike packs a 604 CI 800 hp fuel-injected HEMI.

OR......for originality keep the Slant 6 and do something like this....

Last edited:
A hot, well detailed Slant will get more looks and spur more positive talk than anything else you could possibly put under that hood.
Top it with some sort of roots blower and you're the star of any show

..Having lived through that era i like to see it all original appearing
..just like someone went out and drove it off the lot brand new!
..no lipstick/jewellry

On a somewhat related note, when my 66 dart is complete I'll be going to some car shows with it. Are early a bodies well regarded at car shows? Or is it more of a bunch of Chevy snobs? I feel like mopars in my area are rare to begin with

Peyote, Yes you will be shunded by many at the shows.But who cares if someone likes it or not...As long as you like it.

Peyote, Yes you will be shunded by many at the shows.But who cares if someone likes it or not...As long as you like it.

Kinda what I was expecting, but it won't bother me much, just curious is all. I have very little car show experience

Peyote. Most car shows/cruise-ins have all sorts of car folks in attendance. Some will like it and some will not, that's just the nature of the beast. You will be outnumbered, I guarantee that. There were more Fords and Chevy's built/sold back in the day, so there are more of them still around. That said, I have often found it interesting how certain cars will attract certain folks. You will find that some folks will come over to your car and look at it for quite a while and other folks won't give it a 2nd glance, yet they will walk right past your car and look at a car that you can't figure out for the life of you what they see in it that interests them. Go figure.......

The slant 6 in a really clean engine compartment would look good. But I like the SRT 4 setup with a stage 3 upgrade. Plenty of room, lots of power and something really different. Me I went with a 340

image.jpg

-
Back