When to make a car a parts car?

-
'49 merc 2 door....probably worth a decent amount even in as pictured condition.

This is a $2500 parts car, bought it for the 340 and 4-speed set up.
After getting rid of the rest of the car, I might have broke even.

100_2061.JPG

To me any 4 door was only worthy of being a "parts car" as soon as it rolled off the assembly line.
Beyond that it will be a case by case basis.
Mostly depends on how much rust and crash damage.
A for a bodies story...A member had a parts car ad parting out a 1966 Formula S Barracuda. He had already tried to sell it whole. I stumbled on to the ad as I was a relatively new member. So I figured out how to send a P.M. (LOL) to try and save the car and buy it whole. The member had already disassembled much of the car including the entire drivetrain. He also lived in Florida and I in Illinois...quite a distance. So long story short this member reassembled the car and packed it full of all the additional parts he had and sent the car to me. I believe the price tag was around 2k. My wife saw it back by our barn and there were no floor pans left in the vehicle and yes it was rough but it was all there. So I come home from work and she has the doors open and is weed eating inside the car through the missing floor pan hole...LOL. We got the little Commando 273 running and are still gathering parts little by little. Now she loves the car and together we all saved it from certain death. I did put it in the barn so she couldn't weed eat inside it anymore!
Have a great day guys and gals
If this guy is who I think he is, I drive right by your place, sometimes on way home from work/ depending on whether there's a train on the tracks, a few blocks away. His place is right on my "detour route" as they often are stopped for the nearby grain elevator.... he has a "few" 66-older A bodies ...... makes for nice "scenic route".

YY1 A 72 big block B body may be worth something someday.If it's something that you "want"to do.
Much time and money goes into rusty cars.
A friend saved a 71 'Cuda 340. Only parts that were original were the roof and upper cowl.
The rest was good old AMD parts that had to be modified much to make them fit.
Good thing he owned a body shop.

P1230131.JPG

To me any 4 door was only worthy of being a "parts car" as soon as it rolled off the assembly line.

If this guy is who I think he is, I drive right by your place, sometimes on way home from work/ depending on whether there's a train on the tracks, a few blocks away. His place is right on my "detour route" as they often are stopped for the nearby grain elevator.... he has a "few" 66-older A bodies ...... makes for nice "scenic route".

Yep that's me... Small world isn't it?

When to make a parts car? When you buy a $200 failed/wrecked race car attempt (or what's left of it) that looks like this, so you buy it for said roof I mentioned for my son's Sport in an earlier post....

Donor Roof heading home.jpg

Decent floors and the quarters look good from here.

Straight, too.
Quarters poorly replaced, bondo is thick floor and frame rails solid front fenders very solid with one dent repair. Doors decent with some touch up.

I bought a driver 70 Dart swinger with the idea that I would drive it until something big went wrong with it and then use it for parts for my 70 Dart Custom 2 dr...

This is that driver/parts car now -
IMG_1737.JPG

Hi everyone. I have the opportunity to buy a 68 barracuda notchback that is in need of a good amount of work and repairs to make it run and drivable for 5k. It has some rust but is overall solid because it wasn’t a soft top car. I’m on the fence about getting it for some parts I need for my car and also parting it out for others but could be a good project car for someone wanting it. I turn to everyone to see when does everyone consider a car a parts car? Is the price too high to be a parts car? Thanks everyone!
A local kinda car lot has a 65 Galaxie 500 2dr hardtop sitting. Stopped and got out to look and his DEW started barking. The 390 is out and seized in the back yard. No windows, interior is shot and some rust. He is asking $2,500CDN. I walked.

A local kinda car lot has a 65 Galaxie 500 2dr hardtop sitting. Stopped and got out to look and his DEW started barking. The 390 is out and seized in the back yard. No windows, interior is shot and some rust. He is asking $2,500CDN. I walked.
Heck man, that is a $4000 car in Texas Marketplace!!! Maybe $5000 with the big block!

$1000 cdn came with both NOS rear quarters in nice condition.

Already sold enough parts to pay for the car. Plus i got some for mine as well. And I still have the quarters.

The roof is in very nice shape!
Every time I look at it I find more.

From fasteners to trim pieces. It's been a good parts car. Hard to believe that it looked like a complete car before we dragged it out!

Sat for 45 years on a dirt floor.

If its complete and isn't rusted to the door handles then you save it. It's only a K frame away from having a better drive train in it....Hell...this should of been a parts car but, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

20230818_085242.jpg

A 67-69 barracuda wouldn't ever turn into a parts car at my house, a drag only car hell yeah. I can't even find junky cars around my area that aren't Barrett Jackson prices lol .

-
Back