When to make a car a parts car?

-

67notchb

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have the opportunity to buy a 68 barracuda notchback that is in need of a good amount of work and repairs to make it run and drivable for 5k. It has some rust but is overall solid because it wasn’t a soft top car. I’m on the fence about getting it for some parts I need for my car and also parting it out for others but could be a good project car for someone wanting it. I turn to everyone to see when does everyone consider a car a parts car? Is the price too high to be a parts car? Thanks everyone!

Hi everyone. I have the opportunity to buy a 68 barracuda notchback that is in need of a good amount of work and repairs to make it run and drivable for 5k. It has some rust but is overall solid because it wasn’t a soft top car. I’m on the fence about getting it for some parts I need for my car and also parting it out for others but could be a good project car for someone wanting it. I turn to everyone to see when does everyone consider a car a parts car? Is the price too high to be a parts car? Thanks everyone!
Your call. I have seen some piles resurrected. Ones that I would have parted out. It also depends on what model it is and if it has a popular drivetrain. Slant 6 and 318 cars are often sacrificed.

that's wayyy high to be a parts car unless it's got a running johnny hot **** drive train that you yoink for another project and has a grip of tasty bits you can adios or roll onto your current heap.

one HUGE mitigating factor is model and rare/scarce/desirable. 318 2bbl nacho? likely parts. 340 S or big block, save to favorites.

That's only a decision you can make. I've seen some really, really rusty cars brought back from the dead.

Thanks everyone. What you guys said is what I would have said to someone asking that same question, it’s a decision only you can make. It’s a 6 cylinder with good parts but might be more hassle than it’s worth to part it out. And I wouldn’t have to have parting out a good car on my mind. The parts I need don’t add up to 5k in value for me and don’t want to loose money on a parts car.

Every parts car keeps 10 other cars on the road.

If you can get your money out of it in parts and selling other parts go for it

I know someone who might be interested in the body sheet metal that makes up the trunk opening

For me, a parts car becomes a parts car when it’s no longer able to be a race car. OR it’s severely rusted out.

All of the above. The most I have ever paid for a parts car was $700 USD.
My most expensive keeper was $1600.

It’s not that I wouldn’t spend a good chunk of change on a car, but it would have to be something very special(at least to me), complete and restorable without exceeding the end value of the car.

I gauge asking prices against values published in old cars report price guide. This brings me back to earth and to pass on overpriced turds.

I'd do what I could to save the coupe/notchback Barracudas. I like them better than the convertibles or fastback models.

This parts car was $500.00 and it’s fixable. $5000 is steep I can find nice running vehicles for that price.

IMG_8727.jpeg

A for a bodies story...A member had a parts car ad parting out a 1966 Formula S Barracuda. He had already tried to sell it whole. I stumbled on to the ad as I was a relatively new member. So I figured out how to send a P.M. (LOL) to try and save the car and buy it whole. The member had already disassembled much of the car including the entire drivetrain. He also lived in Florida and I in Illinois...quite a distance. So long story short this member reassembled the car and packed it full of all the additional parts he had and sent the car to me. I believe the price tag was around 2k. My wife saw it back by our barn and there were no floor pans left in the vehicle and yes it was rough but it was all there. So I come home from work and she has the doors open and is weed eating inside the car through the missing floor pan hole...LOL. We got the little Commando 273 running and are still gathering parts little by little. Now she loves the car and together we all saved it from certain death. I did put it in the barn so she couldn't weed eat inside it anymore!
Have a great day guys and gals

Like others have said - Only you can make the end decision. For me, $5k is a lot of cash for a parts car. Sounds more like one to restore. Slant car or not - it is a blank slate. Can you get $5k out of it after you take what you need, and save several other cars?

20 years ago, when I built my 69 ragtop Fury, that would have been a parts car to most people, I drug home a complete and very savable $500 Fury III 383 car. I needed the doors, fenders, hood and deck lid. The 383 is slated for my 68 ragtop B'cuda when I finally build the car in a few years. The rest got cut up and went to the scrap yard. I had also drug home a very savable 70 Newport ragtop for $300 for the seats and all the glass. Sold the 383 and the body separately and quadrupled my money on it. The Newport was in much better shape overall than my Fury was in the beginning.

12 years ago, we drug home the $400 65 B'cuda in my avatar for my oldest son when he was 14. It probably should have been a parts car - it was pretty rough. Made it his high school ride and he still has it.

Almost a year ago, we drug home a $400 73 Dart Sport for my 2nd son who is now 15. For what the body needs (roof skin, qtrs, all floors) , most people would have bought it for the interior, which is nearly perfect, and front clip and found another shell to build on.

My determining factor on all 3 has been the frame rails. Had they been toast, the cars would have become donors for something a little more solid. That, and subconsciously I must enjoy the challenge of saving them. Or maybe I just make poor choices... LOL

People wil restore cars today that 20-30 years ago, were NOT even good parts xars. It is crazy. And.... seldom do I ever see a car listed on CL, marketplcae as a parts car! These people think every old car is a good builder worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ha

I didn't have the heart to part or scrap my parts car. After I used what I needed for a project I made a fun driver from it.
Usually if not too rusty anything that has a good title can be brought back from the dead.
Any car that is SOLID is worth gold in my book.

Someone please tell me.

I'm still on the fence about my 72 400 4 barrel Charger SE with factory SG.
Solid unibody except one side of the cowl. No engine.
Needs both quarters, a roof, a durchman, the cowl work, and one fender.
Cool factory bronze color.

1 of 503 made with 400-4 and SG 3.23.

I paid $1200 about 10 years ago because I valued the axle at $500, the bucket seats at $500, the hideaway headlights at $500, the clock/150 rallye cluster at $250, and doors and good fender at $100 each.

I agree 5K is too much for a rusty, six cyl car that doesn't run.

No, that one doesn't have a catalytic converter. Go to Walmart parking lot, scope out the Prius'.
1696604478703.png

My take on it is if the roof and the frame rails are gone its a parts car, if just one or the other it can be saved. I've been searching for a donor more door with solid rails for years to save my other 69 GT (I can't believe what they are going for these days)

Can you use later model rails for that, say a 74?

I still see 73-76 4 door A body cars for under $2500.

-
Back