When to use 48 degree block

-
No way i would make that swap
And if it was me i would use a stroker crank to knock rpm’s down. Especially in a bracket deal you want to run 10 flat with
I have about the same project in the works but think i can do it with the new trick flow heads and intake
As mentioned an Indy head will get you where you want too
Are the new trick flow heads out?

Hello all,

Over the next few years my engine builder and I will be building a race only engine looking to run low 10's in a 73 Duster. The engine will be using W2 or Indy 360-2 heads and a 3.58" crank with 340 mains. I have various intakes including a tunnel ram to try and plan on a solid roller cam.

My engine builder has kindly offered to swap me a 48 degree block for my 59 degree R3 block if I wish. I understand this will require a specific cam, headers, timing cover, and also the modification of the intake manifolds. Going this route requires a bunch of one off stuff I will need to buy and added expense. Benefits of course are lighter pistons and improved valvetrain geometry.

My question is this, at what point is the 48 degree block a real advantage over 59? What RPM can one spin reliably on a 59 degree 1/4 mile drag engine with good parts. Is it required for what I am tryimg to do? All of my stuff and associated parts are 59 degree at this point providing ease of parts swapping and interchange. I am not opposed to the 48 degree change, I would just like to make a very well informed decision. Any information you folks can provide me about this switch in an A body will be most appreciated. ie. Exhaust fitment, etc.

Thanks in advance for input.
Hey, when it comes to cams, there all a custom order that you better know exactly what you want.
The cam blanks are on or around the $300 dollar range. So I would start doing the math before you make the change.

$300 for cam blank plus shipping to you maybe?
Shipping cost to cam grinder plus grinding costs plus shipping back to you.
It’s getting to be a pricey cam that you should know exactly where in degrees the cam opens and closes along with what ramp and celebration rate, jerk, to Jax, etc., the list goes on.

While the 48* block offers nice pro’s to the engine, it is a pricey jump.

Personally I’d make the jump with a full on no holds barred W-7-8-9 engine. Not a W 2/5 (unless limited by class) or even worse, a stock port size head. AKA Edelbrock and the like.

Hey, when it comes to cams, there all a custom order that you better know exactly what you want.
The cam blanks are on or around the $300 dollar range. So I would start doing the math before you make the change.

$300 for cam blank plus shipping to you maybe?
Shipping cost to cam grinder plus grinding costs plus shipping back to you.
It’s getting to be a pricey cam that you should know exactly where in degrees the cam opens and closes along with what ramp and celebration rate, jerk, to Jax, etc., the list goes on.

While the 48* block offers nice pro’s to the engine, it is a pricey jump.

Personally I’d make the jump with a full on no holds barred W-7-8-9 engine. Not a W 2/5 (unless limited by class) or even worse, a stock port size head. AKA Edelbrock and the like.

There's a 48 degree block/engine on Facebook Marketplace for $7000. Pretty complete.

R3 mopar race block that was prepped by Ray Barton 10 years ago and never put together. It is a Siamese 673 tall deck block. It has a mopar performance 379 forged stroke crank.The bore is 4.125 and I have child's and Alberts rods and Pistons. It comes with rod and main bearings and also has the cam bearings installed. I have a cam dynamics roller cam. I thought I had the roller lifters but can't seem to find them. I also have the front timing chain cover and timing chain cover. I also have a set of W9 mopar performance castings. I will sell the motor for 6500 separate and the heads for 700 if you want it separate This combination would make it a 405 cubic inch so there is a lot more room to make it bigger.

Last edited:
Here's a 48 degree block/engine on Facebook Marketplace for $7000. Pretty complete.

R3 mopar race block that was prepped by Ray Barton 10 years ago and never put together. It is a Siamese 673 tall deck block. It has a mopar performance 379 forged stroke crank.The bore is 4.125 and I have child's and Alberts rods and Pistons. It comes with rod and main bearings and also has the cam bearings installed. I have a cam dynamics roller cam. I thought I had the roller lifters but can't seem to find them. I also have the front timing chain cover and timing chain cover. I also have a set of W9 mopar performance castings. I will sell the motor for 6500 separate and the heads for 700 if you want it separate This combination would make it a 405 cubic inch so there is a lot more room to make it bigger.

No thanks, I’m not in the market.

Some of you guys want to really over complicate a low 10 second build and spend lots of un-needed money. Keep it fun guys and stick to a budget. Trust me you will enjoy the sport more if you do.

-
Back