When you buy an old Mopar, what’s your “gonna have to do “ list

-
Day 1, Put a roadside emergency kit in the trunk and pray I never need to open it. Buy the service manual for it.
Day 2, Add a high mount brake lamp.
A lot of the things mentioned in earlier threads done in following days.

So I’ve only been in the mopar game about three years now. I’m on my third Mopar (69 dart 68 valiant and just got the 79 d100)
I’m learning there are some have to do’s when you get one. My list is usually…
Ammeter bypass
Gauges as the stockers usually don’t work
Turn signal switch on last leg if not already broken
Headlight harness/relays

what’s your have you do post purchase list ?(other than usual fluids/service)
Dunno about other years/models, but power to my '67 horn relay (located near the horns) is always hot, so after frying part of the wiring harness, I fused it.

This might not work for everybody, but here's how I prioritized things:
1. Get a really good stereo and subwoofer.
2. Get a service manual.
3. get exactly one cool -not funny or political, but cool - sticker for the rear end.
4. Make sure you have a hat that matches the car.
5. Start replacing anything made of rubber.

I don't know about online repair manuals. The one I bought my Volvo S90 was mostly unusable. So go for an old book. The reason a friend who knew I had the 1963 Dodge Dart gave me her 1966-1972 Motor manual. The Chrysler section is starting to fall apart. So I've been trying with the idea of taking pictures of that part of the book. Which eventually I'm sure I'll want to share it on a one on one basis because some lawyer smelling a payday might sue me. But the usefulness of this book is immense. Even has sections on rebuilding starters and alternators.

Wash it, youll find all the dings and rust. clean it out. Then put new plugs and points in if equipped. Spray the carb down....drive it!

Tell your wife you are fixing the oil pump so runs, putting new front seat cover and later doing a few slots and friend and you doing a quick cheap paint on it. As he owns a body shop.
After home redo every square inch.

Steering and brakes, it has to be safe.
Inspect the wiring, fix any hacked up crap.
Fuel system usually has problems, put a new fuel filter on it, and replace rubber lines.
A good tune up, plugs wires, cap/rotor and freshen the carb up.

Or just do the minimum to get it moving down the road, on my sons car, I got a quote to change the power steering hose, $400.
I would do it myself but the manual says to drop the engine cradle down. 97 Stratus.
I told the wife about the quote, she just gave me the deer in the headlight look.
But my smart-*** just said, I can fix it for $20, just buy a fire extinguisher for the kid to put out the fire when it happens. It was pouring fluid on the exhaust manifold.
She was fine with me paying to have that one done.

-
Back