When you don't pay attention, recommendations

-

66FormulaS273

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Two cars, extra door totaled 5. Took the 2 best of the group, bought a whole new lock set and this is what I get for not paying attention early on, recommedations are appreciated. Do I try to open up the other lock hole so I can use the same bezels? Do I go back and have one of the other doors painted and try to match the color? I'm sure I can get a locksmith to make both locks work with the same key but can I change bezels so they match, anyone ever done that? Really don't want two different lock bezels on the car.
I have that Homer Simpson feeling right now, D'oh!

Attachments

• Barracuda Door II.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 585
  • Barracuda Door.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 602
  • Lock bezels front.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 568
  • Lock bezels back.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 551
Just use the locks as they are. Get a locksmith to re-key them to the same key. Nobody will ever notice.
Can't see both sides of the car at the sametime anyway.

As said very few will notice. But it would drive me nuts knowing the locks were different if it was my project. I bought a replacement trunk for my 64 dart during my restoration. After painting the whole car I went to mount the trunk trim and found out the holes were in different places than my original trunk. Must have been from a 63 dart. We removed it welded in the wrong holes, drilled the correct ones and repainted the trunk. Being the color was white I couldn't tell. White is pretty blinding in the sunlight and might help hide a color mismatch. Jayson

Attachments

• metrobeach1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 542
I agree with "breakstuff" seeing only one side at a time, same as jysnflem tho, it would drive me nuts! Id get another door and see how close they can match the paint....hey you can keep one for a spare right??

You can get a small hand nibbler and munch out the smaller side to match the larger if they're in the same general location. Re-keying takes care of the rest if required.

The good nibbler won't distort the sheet metal at all and you can practice on scrap first.

Sometimes just gotta let stuff go. I know... I know... But if someone else built it and you were buying it you would never know unless they pointed it out.

The first thing I thought of was Enzo Ferrari's comment when someone was questioning the side to side variations in his then hand built cars (others already mentioned this), he replied that both sides can't be seen at the same time.

So just get it together and get some keys made and enjoy it.

I had a Datsun Bluebird in Korea that had one side light missing. When I had it painted, I told the body shop to just fill in the hole and paint it. Nobody ever even noticed it! But if it bugs you, find a new door.

One door is a 66, the other a 65 (or 64). I am with you and would want them to match. Use a nibbler on the early door and make the correct 66 lock cylinder fit.

I agree with "breakstuff" seeing only one side at a time, same as jysnflem tho, it would drive me nuts! Id get another door and see how close they can match the paint....hey you can keep one for a spare right??

that would drive me insane ....i would get another door and match the paint ....if you take the car to a paint jobber they can match the paint dead on since it does not look that old........a good painter can apply it so that you would never see the difference even if the painter has to do a "blend"

if you try to open up the smaller side i highly doubt it will be exact and i highly doubt the paint wont chip and make a mess in the process.

best wishes with whatever route you go with

Call a locksmith. They may have the punch for the larger hole.

You noticed that the arm on the locks where the rod connects are different lenghts right?
From the center of the cylinder to the center of the rod hole in the arm.
May not make a difference, or it may.

I would use a file (or nibbler if you have one, but a file would work just as well) and match the early door hole to the later door. Make a template with a piece of paper and pencil to get the outline exact. Then touch up the paint on the edge so it doesn't rust and call it good.

The early locks are a crappy design and are not available reproduction anywhere. My sweptline uses those locks and I had to find about 8 of them to get 2 good ones.

Thanks for all the input. Never thought about the a locksmith having a punch to widen the hole. Will check with a locksmith tomorow. If that doesn't work, the nibbler, file and the dremel tool will have to do. Like a few of the comments said, I'll know so I might as well as take care of it now even though they are on different sides.

Thanks

This probably won’t help you at all.
But I’ll give the info.
I’m not sure about the one on the left.
But the one on the right could be “re keyed” by you.
That clip comes off.
The tumblers are a series of different height two piece pins each on a spring.
Where the two piece pin splits determines it’s height in its respective hole.
That’s why your key has high and low points.
It has to push each two piece pin just the right height to allow the lock core to turn inside the housing.
What this means is that if some has a bad sticky cylinder (like I did) he can swap the pins into a good cylinder.

Both kinds can be re-keyed. The one on the left has a cover but it's inside a recess in the aluminum body. Pry it off with a jeweler's screwdriver.

Or you can shave the locks and install keyless entry! LOL

JK, since you have been given a variety of good suggestions I thought I would just throw that one in.

Wow here is another zinger! below is a picture of another model of a lock, this came off of an original 64 cuda (one with the 3" arm) On the cuda I am restoring is the larger benzel type in the left of your picture if you don't use that type I would love to buy the passenger side, (or both) mine is damaged PM me. I will send you a PM.

Attachments

• doorlocks 001.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 292
-
Back