When you think your job is difficult:

-
Remember the Titan II accident outside Damascus Arkansas? IIRC a technician dropped a wrench!
Yeah, blew the warhead some distance from the tube. Thing was dented and all beat up, but no cracks or release of any radioactive material. And only one casualty if I recall correctly. Maintenance guy that volunteered to go back in.

Whats a job.
Never worked a day in my life.
Spent a lot of time collectingchecks.
But canhonestly say nothing ive ever done would qualify as work.
What does this mean? Welfare? This is something to brag about ?

And, those who are 'supervising' you? Are they also qualified to do your job? If so, where did they come from? Oh, and let me get to PC and send a link to a true story from the stuff I used to work on. Only an earlier model of them.

By supervisor do you mean the lead in the group doing the work or our superiors (Master Sergeants, etc). Our superiors probably couldn't build (were not qualified) any components, they had been too far removed from the process. The highest rank in the assembly bays were Staff Sergeants, even the OIC wasn't qualified to actually work (or enter) the assembly bay.
Only the people who were currently qualified on that particular system were allowed to do any work on the components. All our superiors were only allowed to visit (under our supervision) the assembly bays. It's strange now that I think about it!!! In fact everyone who wasn't qualified was seldom allowed into an assembly bay because they had "no need" to know or see anything....it wasn't part of their job and had no need to know. A Senator or Congressman every now and then (under our supervision). We kept everything continuously covered (tarps) when anyone (not qualified) entered the bay because the shape, size and configuration of the components was/is classified.
For the most part the great majority of qualified personnel, who actually worked on the components, were E2 or E3. Like I said, now that I think about it....it's very strange, bunch of young kids building and testing the greatest destructive force in the world??? But we policed ourselves very closely and we would "not allow" any particular qualified person to enter if something was off kilter with them. If anyone became upset, angry or "not right" while working in the bay they were immediately ejected. Part of the job involved EEDs (Electro-Explosive Devices) which could be easily ignited with static electricity. The climate where we did the work had extremely low humidity so static electricity was everywhere all the time, you couldn't move without creating a spark. We basically had to remain (physically) grounded most of the time. So having to trust in the guy working next to you was paramount!!!

PS - I wrote "young kids"....we were the most trusted, most reliable, most secretive, most dedicated, most stable, most patriotic and most clean cut "young kids" that the US could produce!!
Treblig

Last edited:
-
Back