Where and how? '65 Dart dome light...

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
When I bought my Dart from Wildcat Mopars, it came with a nice headliner but no dome light. Well, now I have a dome light and its attached wiring harness, but I have no idea where the wire goes and how I'm going to feed it through the headliner. Any ideas would be much appreciated...it's a '65 wagon.

There should be 2 wires: one is from the B2 terminal of the headlight switch to feed power into the dome lamp. You could also bring this off any fused spot, like the wire for the cigarette lighter. The other wire goes to the D contact on the headlight switch. That wired is grounded when you rotate the headlight knob to turn on the dome light, and any existing door switches should be wired to there also. There are three or five dome light switches all in parallel (depending on model); the headlight knob and the 2/4 door switches; any of those 3/5 being activated and grounding that wire will light the dome lamp.

How the 2 wires get there is another matter....I dunno. The C-pillar would be easy but it probably comes up the A pillar.

I recall it runs from the headlamp switch, up the left A-pillar. The factory ran the wire before installing the headliner, which is what a restorer would do. You might fish one thru now using a stiff wire, as electricians do w/ a snake. You need to remove the terminal from the plastic connector housing to do so, which is easy w/ a thin screwdriver (google "57 terminal" on ebay to see release tab). I hope you didn't complain about the "missing dome light" to WildCat Mopars after buying a headliner.

Oh no, the nice headliner had already been installed...unfortunately, someone had run off with the dome light. When you buy a car from a salvage yard, I guess you can't be surprised when it's got some problems. :)

OK, all this is moot. I was just not observant enough...there is a cut wire taped to the headliner that I somehow missed. Now we're getting somewhere.

I now have a dome light! It looks pretty good and works on both doors (but not the rears, interestingly...I never noticed that there are no door switches back there). There's one thing crossed off the list!

Attachments

• 009b.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 97
Good deal! Low end/ base models did not have the rear switches; they were only for the posh cars!

-
Back