Where can I find these seals?

-

64bluefish

Reaction score
Looking for a new pitman arm grease boot or seal.
Also looking for the seal that goes on the bottom of the steering column. Not sure what it's called. Manual calls it two things: Column lower seal and jacket seal. Pretty much the seal at the bottom of the tube that the steering shaft comes out of.
Car is a '64.5 Barracuda.
Thanks
Mark

For the pitman seal. I got mine from my local NAPA. You should have no problem finding that one for $5-$8 and the catalog part number listing on the internet is correct.

The one that I had problem finding was the worm gear seal. If you are changing the pitman, you should probably change the worm as well. Remove the unit to work on it as it is much easier to clean and then to operate on a bench. I had to take off the motor mount nut and jack up the engine an inch or two from the pan to get enough clearance to get one steering unit bolt out due to clearance of the exhaust manifold. Only a 5 minute obsticle that really worked out well when removing the unit.

The worm gear seal sits in the manual steering unit at the point where the steering shaft connects. I ended up buying 3 different worm gear seals before I figured out that most catalogs have the wrong listing. I tried NAPA, Rock Auto, and a couple of my local outfits to no avail. Anyway, I ended up using a micrometer and going Motion Industries for the seal I needed.

https://www.motionindustries.com/

click
"Products"
"Specialty"
"Seals & Accessories"
"Oil Seals"

You will need to measure the inside and outside diameters as well as the width of your seal, but you will be able to find the right one as Motion Industries seems to have more seals than any outift I have ever come accross.

For reference, I just changed the seals out in my 64 Valiant with manual steering. The car is an early 64 and the manual steering unit was stamped "63" so it is probably the same unit as yours. I beleive this to be the original unit that came with the car as everything else in the car is correct and original.

I wish I had the part number for you to post now but I do not. If I get a chance later today, I'll post the part number I used from Motion Industries as I saved the box.

As for the column seal that goes near the firewall. There are a few outfits that sell NOS and reproduction seals but they seem to go for around $40-$50. EBAY has had a couple listed in the last few weeks that went for around $30.

Both prices are a little steep for me so I may try to use some sort of boot from the plumbing section of my local, they sell rubber boots that reduce from a larger to a smaller size. I'd probably try to achor it with some radiator clamps. Not a stock look but probably will function well for $5-$6.

I have yet to do this setup but will be doing so in the next few weeks as the steering column is out. If the boot doesn't work, I'll probably end up springing for the real thing.

Thanks for the replies, but I think I'm not clear on what seals I'm looking for. I attached a photo of the two. I guess the pitman seal would be more of a dust seal. It's cone shaped rubber that goes over the stud or ball joint.
The other seal is the one that caps off the lower end of the steering column tube. The steering shaft then comes through it.
Please correct me if I am not naming the seals correctly. This maybe why I'm having trouble finding them.
Thanks
Mark

I'm trying to figure out how to make the attachment work.
Sorry, nothing I'm doing is working. One of those nights.

seals.gif

Thanks for the replies, but I think I'm not clear on what seals I'm looking for. I attached a photo of the two. I guess the pitman seal would be more of a dust seal. It's cone shaped rubber that goes over the stud or ball joint.
The other seal is the one that caps off the lower end of the steering column tube. The steering shaft then comes through it.
Please correct me if I am not naming the seals correctly. This maybe why I'm having trouble finding them.
Thanks
Mark

I'm trying to figure out how to make the attachment work.
Sorry, nothing I'm doing is working. One of those nights.

I'm wore out looking for the seal that pushes over the base of the column tube and seals against the shaft. Mine is gone and I get air blowing onto my right leg. I looked in my parts book but the exploded photos are very poor quality. I looked in the manual for over an hour and never did find anything about a steering column. Are these seals available separate or are they in a kit of some sort. No-one seems to know. I need the seal that bluefish has pictured in the bottom photo. (the search function on FABO is a powerful thing) toolmanmike

I have never seen a rubber seal at the bottom of the steering tube on any A body and I have had a bunch of them ....I have seen wafer donut type seals up inside the tube usually made of that bigger bubble styro stuff....but I have never seen a seal on the end of the tube.....and it would have to be on a 4 spd or floor shift auto, because the column shift manual and automatics have some pretty large slots up high on the tube and a seal down at the opening of the tube would just trap water

I have never seen a rubber seal at the bottom of the steering tube on any A body and I have had a bunch of them ....I have seen wafer donut type seals up inside the tube usually made of that bigger bubble styro stuff....but I have never seen a seal on the end of the tube.....and it would have to be on a 4 spd or floor shift auto, because the column shift manual and automatics have some pretty large slots up high on the tube and a seal down at the opening of the tube would just trap water

Mine had the foam doughnut inside and a rubber seal on the outside end. Both have broken up and are gone now. I think I'll go to the hobby store and see if they have some foam and I can order a seal.

-
Back