Where Can I Find This Power Steering Pressure Line?

-

moparsince60

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 1971 Demon 340 and I am looking for a power steering pressure line. I bought the car when it was eight years old. I am thinking this is the factory line. When I interchanged the part number out of the Chrysler parts book, 3420193 at a NAPA store, the illustration they have didn't match up with what I have. I went to the usual places like Classic Industries, Year one, Herb's, etc and nothing matches up either. Here are the pictures of what I have. Can anyone help. Thank you very much.
IMG_20200522_174020380.jpg
IMG_20200522_174032598.jpg
IMG_20200522_174050074.jpg

Do what I did. I have a 1969 340 Barracuda. When I restored it the first time 25 years ago, I could not find a correct PS pressure hose. I ordered several from multiple sources, but none were even close to the bad, but, I assume, correct hose that I had. It fit so perfectly, I assumed it was a correct original. I wound up taking the old hose to a place in town that sells and makes all kinds of hoses (Topeka Belt and Hose). They do great work. I got a great looking hose for only a few dollars more than the ones that did not fit.

I agree. For commercial vessels like Tugboats, here on the east coast, I have used a Hydraulic Hose company. They send out a guy in a truck that is equipped to fabricate any fitting, any bend or size line needed, with much higher psi ratings than automobile power steering.
There should be someone near you that can repair or rebuild yours in Ohio, no? (Example pic)
Screenshot_20200614-012957_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps, but here is what Layson's has to offer. They also have another that didn't provide a picture. They can be found in the engine bay section for a 71' Demon. Some are for small block and others for big blocks.

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

For my 72’ 340 Demon replacement pressure hose I bought from rock auto. Inexpensive too. Also as mentioned above, a lot of hydraulic shops (Google hydraulic hose and add your zip code.) now make brake and steering lines and can recreate your hose. Will it have the pentstar and date codes- no. But it will look very close to original and better materials and most of all, correct and you will be driving in no time.

I bought mine from napa. I can tell you the picture they showed wasnt what i got cause we hesitated to order it. I got mine for a 71 duster. they obviously dont show a duster so it was listed under valiant

Hello everyone, I have a 1971 Demon 340 and I am looking for a power steering pressure line. I bought the car when it was eight years old. I am thinking this is the factory line. When I interchanged the part number out of the Chrysler parts book, 3420193 at a NAPA store, the illustration they have didn't match up with what I have. I went to the usual places like Classic Industries, Year one, Herb's, etc and nothing matches up either. Here are the pictures of what I have. Can anyone help. Thank you very much.View attachment 1715545488 View attachment 1715545489 View attachment 1715545490
Does your line leak? Yes a company that builds hydraulic hoses can fix you up. I had that done with a a/c hose that blew apart. A local radiator shop that also repairs a/c rebuilt the hose reusing my old ends.

Sometimes the replacement hoses sold will fit the application even though they don't have the same bends, so, don't just dismiss them as being wrong until you actually try to install them. Now if you trying to do a 100% show restoration, you may have to try and find an NOS one.

Does your line leak? Yes a company that builds hydraulic hoses can fix you up. I had that done with a a/c hose that blew apart. A local radiator shop that also repairs a/c rebuilt the hose reusing my old ends.
It doesn't leak at all Mike. I'm getting the car restored and want to put a new one on due to age. To be honest, I never thought of just replacing the rubber part. Thanks for writing back Mike. Have a great week ahead.

Sometimes the replacement hoses sold will fit the application even though they don't have the same bends, so, don't just dismiss them as being wrong until you actually try to install them. Now if you trying to do a 100% show restoration, you may have to try and find an NOS one.
The car is getting restored and when it's done, it will be close to 100% show Mark. I thought of what you said when I did my initial search for one. I understand what you are saying. I just don't know if the bends meant anything regarding the performance of the steering system. I think I may wait until the engine is in before I buy one. Thanks for replying back Mark. have a great week ahead.

Do what I did. I have a 1969 340 Barracuda. When I restored it the first time 25 years ago, I could not find a correct PS pressure hose. I ordered several from multiple sources, but none were even close to the bad, but, I assume, correct hose that I had. It fit so perfectly, I assumed it was a correct original. I wound up taking the old hose to a place in town that sells and makes all kinds of hoses (Topeka Belt and Hose). They do great work. I got a great looking hose for only a few dollars more than the ones that did not fit.
Thank you harrisonm. After reading the other posts with how they were satisfied were with who did their's, I will probably do the same. Thanks harrisonm. Have a great week.

I agree. For commercial vessels like Tugboats, here on the east coast, I have used a Hydraulic Hose company. They send out a guy in a truck that is equipped to fabricate any fitting, any bend or size line needed, with much higher psi ratings than automobile power steering.
There should be someone near you that can repair or rebuild yours in Ohio, no? (Example pic)
View attachment 1715545494
Thanks Joey for answering back. I will probably go the hose making route. I never though of that. People have been doing it for years. I am 66 years old and my first part time job during high school was working in the parts department at the Dodge dealership in the 1970 model year. And the picture of your GTS reminded me of a 1969 Swinger 340 4 speed that was the same color combination as yours sitting the used car lot there. I wanted that car so bad. But when your Dad is in insurance business, you can't have anything fun. Hope you will have a great week ahead Joey, take care.

I bought mine from napa. I can tell you the picture they showed wasnt what i got cause we hesitated to order it. I got mine for a 71 duster. they obviously dont show a duster so it was listed under valiant
I was in a NAPA store last week. The person there didn't seem to have too much knowledge and showed me what I saw already online. He didn't bother to show me if there may be another alternative. It was after that I decided to write this post. Thank you lenky1 for replying back. Hope you have a great week ahead.

I don't know if this helps, but here is what Layson's has to offer. They also have another that didn't provide a picture. They can be found in the engine bay section for a 71' Demon. Some are for small block and others for big blocks.

View attachment 1715545510

View attachment 1715545511

View attachment 1715545512
I was on Layson's website last night and I didn't see they even offered power steering hoses. But then again, I always seem to have the worst luck in searching for anything. Thank you Tinmannz for the reply back. I really appreciate it. Hope you have a great week ahead.

It doesn't leak at all Mike. I'm getting the car restored and want to put a new one on due to age. To be honest, I never thought of just replacing the rubber part. Thanks for writing back Mike. Have a great week ahead.
A little steel wool or fine sandpaper will clean the steel tube. You can media blast it and the fittings as well. Look into Steer and Gear. They rebuild steering gears and probably have hoses as well.

-
Back