Where can I get a appraisal for insurance reasons?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I went to get insurance for my Duster today, and since I have collector plates, I can get cheaper insurance, but when they ask what it was worth, I was like... Ah??? $3500.00 to $6000.00?? I don't know? Then they said they needed something more accurate and they wanted pictures.
When I ask if a body shop could give a appraisal, she said... "maybe". So she don't know herself. She didn't seem to care. She said that, "she could just write something up". BUT... The "bigwigs" are more then likely going to end up asking for something more concrete.

Does anyone know where to go, or what it cost??

Thanks!!

I went to get insurance for my Duster today, and since I have collector plates, I can get cheaper insurance, but when they ask what it was worth, I was like... Ah??? $3500.00 to $6000.00?? I don't know? Then they said they needed something more accurate and they wanted pictures.
When I ask if a body shop could give a appraisal, she said... "maybe". So she don't know herself. She didn't seem to care. She said that, "she could just write something up". BUT... The "bigwigs" are more then likely going to end up asking for something more concrete.

Does anyone know where to go, or what it cost??

Thanks!!
I paid $20 for an appraisal from a guy at a Used Car Dealership.Good Luck!

PS I pay $168 a year through old car insurance company,for my 73 Dart Sport 340.It was appraised at $18,000 4 yrs ago.

JR (360scamp)...still need him or his dad to do my duster...I'm just a procrastinator....sigh....

Aloha!

Time wise I'm not really doing appraisals right now but I can give you my dads contact info and he can hook you up via fax/mail.

Your insurance company SHOULD be able to recommend a local guy they know/use....to be accepted....
Or atleast ask around at car shows/clubs....the appraiser has to be certified and see the car in person to verify.

Jeez...20 bucks...what a Joke! Most around here charge 200 bucks!
Thay make a booklet of photos, info, for you AND the insurance company.

Oops,cars mixed up.The 66 Dart appraisal was $20,the 73 was $100 and the guy was sent from Silver Wheels and did a portfolio with pics and a list of what the cars condition is.Had to specify a 19A policy for full replacement value.Sorry for the confusion.

I also live in Wi. My insurance is through American Family insurance. Even though my Dart is not registered yet, I did look into insurance for it. AFI told me to look at any auto restorers in my area. Might be a good place to start. Hope it helps you..

Galen?

I have American Family as well. She also said, maybe find a few cars similar to mine that are for sale, and then they will do a comparison for value. Which seems odd to me, because these Dusters can go for $900.00 to $14,000.00. lol!

I'm going to talk to her again today with my VIN, so she can at least "Write something up".

I'm just not real sure what to do here, neither did she.

Thanks!

I just found this on NADA's web site. I wonder if this will be enough?

PRICING

Original MSRP: $2,376

Retail Low Average High
Base Price $4,900 $7,425 $10,450
Options
360/170 HP V8 Engine 10% 10% 10%
TOTAL PRICE $5,390 $8,168 $11,495

I just found this on NADA's web site. I wonder if this will be enough?

I would have to say no to this. A proper appraisal is done by an individual who has some type of accredited credentials. The appraiser will fully document the vehicle, take lots of pictures and include photos and information on the restoration of the car. This will allow you to purchase insurance based upon the true replacement value of the vehicle if you need it. General auto insurance policies will only provide a book value on the vehicle, and will usually try to write it off and offer the minimum value they can to close the claim. It is in your interest to be prepared, as opposed to trying to fight with them after the fact.

Grant

I have my car insured with GRUNDY and all they went by was book value and pictures of my car, its called "agreed value" meaning you and them agree on the value of the car, you only need an appraisal if you are claiming greater than book value and you dont have receipts for parts and labor to prove it

I guess that is OK if you both agree that the book value is what your vehicle is worth at the time of loss. And if your agreement is tied to current "book" value that can change as well over time. For a fully-restored and mechanically upgraded vehicle, I doubt that the book value is even close to a replacement value. JM2¢.

Also Grundy is not a general insurance company. They specialize in antique and collector cars.

Grant

correct,I assumed we were talking about antique / collector cars, coverage is also automatically raised every year when you renew your policy and can be raised at any time by you if you make improvements to the vehicle, for value over book due to mechanical upgrades you just need to show proof in the form of receipts and pictures to be covered, grundy also insures hot rods and street rods

I would have to say no to this. A proper appraisal is done by an individual who has some type of accredited credentials. The appraiser will fully document the vehicle, take lots of pictures and include photos and information on the restoration of the car. This will allow you to purchase insurance based upon the true replacement value of the vehicle if you need it. General auto insurance policies will only provide a book value on the vehicle, and will usually try to write it off and offer the minimum value they can to close the claim. It is in your interest to be prepared, as opposed to trying to fight with them after the fact.

Grant
I agree....keep in mind that the appraised value will determine your premium. I'd rather have it a bit overvalued than under if there is not much premium difference. Gives you more room to find a replacement vehicle if needed.

Ok, I found my notebook with some info.Since I live in SE wi, these are close to me. One is called JC Classics, Another is an auto restorer called Valenti. Valenti is just off Seven Mile Rd south of Milwaukee. I agree, I would want mine appraised at a little higher because these cars ain't out there in numbers and some parts are not sold new. Especially the Darts! I have been to several car shops and have not seen another Dart. Duster, yeah, that one is set up for the track tho.

Around here the classic car insurance companies now insist on a professional appraisal with pics. It makes it easier if there is a claim as the value is set and substantiated. Before it was optional but they said that without an appraisal I would still have to prove the value in the event of a loss which would be tough to do.

Well... I sent American Family the value from www.nada.com, and I sent other pictures of Dusters my year that were for sale and the asking price. Then I sent them the build sheet of my engine, and the price of the motor rebuild.

She said that should be fine, and she "felt good about it". So it's insured for $6000.00, $250.00 deductable at $128.00 a year. It's "show car" insurance.

Thanks!

Sounds as though you're happy with the insurance then. Thats all that counts. Glad it worked out for you in that case.

Well... I sent American Family the value from www.nada.com, and I sent other pictures of Dusters my year that were for sale and the asking price. Then I sent them the build sheet of my engine, and the price of the motor rebuild.

She said that should be fine, and she "felt good about it". So it's insured for $6000.00, $250.00 deductable at $128.00 a year. It's "show car" insurance.

Thanks!

You do realize that with show car/collector car insurance that you have limited use and other restrictions with most insurance companies. Make sure that you know what your coverages and limits are so you don't have a problem later.

-
Back