Where do you shop?

Where do you shop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

lowbudget

Mopar Man
Reaction score
I was wondering where everyone shops? Mom and Pop stores, locally owned franchise stores or the big box stores? I will pay a more to support my local economy. Where I live most of all the Mom and Pop shops are closed except for a couple of lumber yards so the local franchises such as True Value, IGA (grocery) are where I usually do my shopping. I do occasionally go to Wally world and Lowes but I find them stressful and full of strange looking/acting people..

I try to stick with mom and pop shops. Unfortunately, there really isn't any outside of restaurants left in my area.

I try to shop the Mom ansd Pop stores if possible, but like said above there just aren'nt many left. I hate the big box stores also known as "The stores from HELL" so I avoid them and buy on line instead.

I don't give chain stores much slack. I still shop Westlakes and Sears, but I generally avoid Wal-mart and its ilk. As with everywhere else, mom n' pop shops are getting slim.

Here in Charelston, SC we have a company Parks Auto Parts. It is family owned and run locally. They do have around 13 stores. I am a friend of the CEO's son due to shopping, and then becoming friends with everyone who works at that particular store. I have sold one car to Fields Parks and one to Randy, the store manager. The thing I love about Parks Auto is everyone who works there KNOWS cars. Derrick owns and races 2 drag cars, Randy is a Poncho man, Fields is like me....loves all cars. These guys are never too busy to answer any question. Most large chains hire by wage requirement not by knowedge requirement. I am now, and always will be, a Parks guy.

I will tell you where I don't go. Wal-Mart. Terrible experiences there and the parking lot is always such a zoo. Wal Mart always a hassle..always. Not always as cheap as everyone makes it out to be.

I shop Mom and Pop and Locally owned.
I'm a small business man in town, and I expect the locals to use my services before they go to an outsider, so I'm very happy to reciprocate.

One hand washes the other, so to speak.

Of course there are times when it is necessary to go to a big box or out of town, too, but only after checking locally, first.

i like mega stores bcoz i like stores that will have 50 units of the item i want in stock at any given time.. i hate having to order stuff or finding out they are out of stock or simply not carried.

my luck with mom and pop stores in southern colorado is they never have what im after in stock and it costs more.

National chains always seem to have what i want and plenty of them too, plus i get online to find coupons or order online from national chains like auto zone.....no mom and pop can match that.

i love wal-mart...... bcoz whatever you want, there are always plenty in stock, even better than wal-mart is the Sams wharehouse when you want something in bulk and now.

Plus i love stores that are open 24 hours ......9-5 dosen't cut it for me. at least if they close by 9 to 11 at night you know they are a decent store.

I will tell you where I don't go. Wal-Mart.

Me, neither

i like mega stores bcoz i like stores that will have 50 units of the item i want in stock at any given time.. .

This has NOT been my experience

Many times the "big box" has TONS of one item --which I don't want, and not much selection in that related item.

Much of the time their "support" is far less than helpful, AND REMEMBER THIS

Many MANY "brand name" items these big boxes sell are NOT what you think

John Deere products sold at the big box ARE NOT true 'Deeres, and John doesn't want to see you coming into his dealership door for parts for one

Lincoln welders

Before Wards went down many years ago, I bought an RCA branded TV (NOT Wards branded) and the tuner died .03 seconds after the warrantee was done. That TV was made BY RCA under special contract FOR Wards, and had a special tuner. You could not get parts anywhere outside of Wards

Same thing at Sears. Lawn mower, Techumseh engine. The CARBURETOR is something Tecumseh never heard of. yup special contract to Sears, ya want parts ya call Sears.

There's WAY WAY too much of this and I believe the customer should be INFORMED of this in BIG RED LETTERS

I rarely go to Wal-Mart, or shop anywhere much, but I decided to try their StraightTalk (some of you may find irony) cellular plan (horrible so far) and I noticed something. Older people including me bought only a few specific staples for the lower cost...motor oil, cat food and kitty litter, etc., while younger people and the immigrant population bought a lot more.

This is a Barnum and Bailey thread.
For those liking the box experience,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is of course, jmo

Give me the mom and pop who know their stuff, not a shop that is run by numbers. Yes, I can wait!

I have always maintained that human purchasing behavior will ruin the life that generations have built.

Ok, let's move that product now!

Here in Charelston, SC we have a company Parks Auto Parts. It is family owned and run locally. They do have around 13 stores. I am a friend of the CEO's son due to shopping, and then becoming friends with everyone who works at that particular store. I have sold one car to Fields Parks and one to Randy, the store manager. The thing I love about Parks Auto is everyone who works there KNOWS cars. Derrick owns and races 2 drag cars, Randy is a Poncho man, Fields is like me....loves all cars. These guys are never too busy to answer any question. Most large chains hire by wage requirement not by knowedge requirement. I am now, and always will be, a Parks guy.

Glad to know about Parks, i will use the when i'm in need. I love to support the Mom & Pop's when i can but 80% of my grocery buys are at Wmart. PigWig, Publix & Foodlion really can't compete in price. Sad, but true. I'm also unemployed right now and doing a reno on a foreclosure so i have to watch my pennies.

Walmart for most everything can't afford not to be thrifty,besides the mom and pop stores here are few and expensive.

-
Back