Where is all common leak sources possible on a 65 904?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've got this 65 Valiant slant six with a torqueflite that leaks just sitting. It's only driven occassionally because of this leak and not far. It has those annoying shift cables. It's the column mounted shifter. Within the last year I've changed filter, pan gasket, removed and reinstalled shift cable, speedometer gear, park cable and park cable cover gasket. If you fill it up to specs and drive it around it will do good. Then if you don't drive it again for a week or two and start it up then the fluid is below the add mark. So it's leaking out just sitting. Where is all the leak sources? I've brake cleaned it all off to try and pinpoint but can't track down mainly because I don't know all the leak sources besides front pump seal, rear seal, and pan gasket. Which all appear to be dry. The leak seems to be originating from the driver's side middle area of the transmission. I was just wondering what other seals could be failing there?

All of them. Front pump, shift shaft, speed-o-gear, tail shaft shaft, pan rails, dipstick tube. Get all up in it, see whats really going on.

when you let it sit the torque converter will drain down raisin the fluid level when this happens its usually the gear selector shaft seal , this one wont leak when the car is running or only sitting a day or two. and if I remember right the valve body needs to be removed to get it out unless you have a special tool.

Special tool being a screw driver to pop it out, and a threaded nut, rod, and washer to 'press' it back in, use lube.

This one doesn't have a shifter shaft seal. The shifter is a cable that screws into the side of the transmission which I checked today and it appears to be clean and dry. However it has a separate cable just for parking at the back and that's where I see all the fluid. It was such a pain to figure out how to get that cable in and to actually actuate the parking pawl. Now it appears I have to remove it again. I need to do the pan gasket again. Is there a recommended pan gasket that's the best to avoid leaks?

yes look at the tranny stick where it goesinto the engine . when you start the car it turns the tourquenverter and pics up fjuid , it could run all day and never leak , but now when you shut it off the fluid drains out of the tourquenverter and fills back fills the stick back up andit will sit and leak ouit that stick untill the levell is back under the leak level or enough pressure is off of it . Mopars been notorious for it for ever even the 727s will leak there , its just a bad spotto unbolt the stick and get out , hopfully a buddy has a lift , im gettn to dam old for this crawling in and out , gettn up and down why didnt i think of that when i built the garage and made it 12" walls and rafter framed ceiling lol . yah soget that stick out and put a new gasket around it ,and put some schmear on it and let it sit as long as possible , hope all that tranny fluid got out of the way and wont leak again . Now the 904s lol the little sealmay leak where the cable plate comes in
spray down and wash realgood then wipe off and i hope you can see it and its dry there
Gl jon

For me on my 65 it was the neutral safety switch leaking right out the middle of it

Is it like a 727 design? I have had leaks at the rear servo lever. The o-ring thats on the link wears out and will leak from the back.

So if you google Pat Blais, he has every seal for the early style, I have rebuilt all of the same areas you speak of and still have leaks after time. I need to check the neutral safety switch that might be it.

Also check your cables for cracks fluid does get in the cable as well. The aft park cable is not to bad to do, Pat will talk you through it.

There is also a new pan gasket that is like black rubber with metal in it, you don't use sealant either, I may try one of those.

Yes I just noticed on EBAY Pat Blais has all the seals I didn't even know this thing had. I looked again and it appears that most if not all the fluid is concentrated in the parking cable area. I see fluid on the inspection screw for the park cable release hole. The allen head screw. I put a new oem gasket on that park cable cover when I reinstalled the cable. I remember installing that park cable and it took me forever to figure the theory behind how it does what it does but eventually I got it to work right. I didn't want to fool with it again but it's keeping me from driving the car.

For me on my 65 it was the neutral safety switch leaking right out the middle of it

For 28 years, the tranny in my old van has almost always leaked for various reasons. This week after doing the gasket job twice, with the 2464324AC gasket that never leaks, it still leaked.
Turns out it was the same problem. Fluid is leaking from the switch itself, not from where the switch threads into the tranny. I put the truck in the air, cleaned everything REAL good, got a mirror and a flashlight, and inspected everything every 30 minutes. Only with the mirror and flashlight could I see the fluid dripping slowly from the switch. If you don't inspect it every 10-20-30 minutes or whatever it'll make it's way to the pan edges or bolts and again you'll be fooled into thinking it's a pan leak. I should have learned my lesson the last time I did this. I don't know how many gasket changes I did over a number of years and it ALWAYS leaked. After going through a similar troubleshooting process, I found that the culprit was a shaft in the back of the trans that had a bad O-ring. I don't know how many hours I wasted on this and how many driveways I stained.
Now I'm gonna let it sit overnight with a rag to soak-up whatever drips from the switch. If everything else is dry in the morning then I finally nailed it.

-
Back