Where is the VIN on a 273 motor?

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hello,
I hope someone can give me an answer to this.
Where will I find the VIN stamp on a 273 motor?
Actually if someone has a picture showing me where it is that would be great.
I have Googled this but all I have come up with is the location of the casting number.
If you are wondering it is in a 69 Dodge Dart, which is a 68 build. It is supposed to be the original motor.

Should be stamped behind driver side head where transmission meets the engine.

I have a 67 273 block in the garage, I will chk and post later. But I know for sure on my 69 340 it is right above the oil pan on pass side where the very close to the motor mount boss.

Hope someone chimes in. I'm not for sure the 273's had a VIN# on the block. More research is needed. tmm

Mine haven't been torn down yet and can't roll them around to look (and are caked in grease and dirt).

yep no VINS on any block until 68 or 69

Correct, no VIN number on the block. You will find a casing number and perhaps a date code but no VIN.

Hence making "Numbers Matching" claims for the early cars ridiculous.

Correct, VIN #'s started early in 68, my late
67 casting 340 had one stamped in it, so the OP's 69 273
Should have one stamped also.

Correct, VIN #'s started early in 68, my late
67 casting 340 had one stamped in it, so the OP's 69 273
Should have one stamped also.

So someone needs to check a 68 or 69 273 block. It is probably above the oil pan rail on the pass side like the others then.

Wait, he's in Australia. Is it an Australian car? The VIN-on-the-block thing was a US Federal regulation -- maybe export cars didn't get it. Just a thought.

Dodge Darts were not exported to Australia. This would be a US car that has been shipped there by a private buyer .

Iv got a 273 virgin block for sale,its numbers are on the drivers side rear looks like date then ...07-28- 68 273-3..went back out and checked again...pad on the block pass side just above rail ,behind mm ears.looks like vin..j

Iv got a 273 virgin block for sale,its numbers are on the drivers side rear looks like date then ...07-28- 68 273-3..went back out and checked again...pad on the block pass side just above rail ,behind mm ears.looks like vin..j

There you go. It's in the same place as all the other small blocks after 68..

If its the original engine it should have the whole vin stamped on there for you early 69. Should be on the passenger side just above the oil pan.

-
Back