Where to get Wiper bushing/connectors

-

D Cluley

Lansing MI
Reaction score
1974 Dart with 3 speed wipers...

I'm missing several of the plastic bushing things that connect the wiper linkages, specifically the one on the left pivot that connects to the right pivot, and the one that connects the main linkage to the wiper motor.

Is there a good source for these, or is it time to head for the hardware store and get creative?

Thanks,
Dan

Your new car dealer has them, just ask for the white bushings. I have also found them at NAPA stores, and in the HELP sections in AutoZone stores. Oh yeah, the dealer usually calls the bushings for the shift linkage, "black bushings".

Those are in the 'HELP" line of small parts found at most stores. They did put a dab of white lithium grease in the ball sockets a few years ago but the last package I bought was dry.

I,m looking for these "bushings" for my 73 Dart Sport.I have ones from the Help section,but believe one hole is takes a different size? Is there a kit sold by Mopar or a supplier that sells these specific for a 73 Dart Sport?Thanks for any help.

Did you read the first comment at that Summit page ?
I'll go ahead a clear the waters ( misconceptions ) for you and who ever else may be reading...
The original plastic bushings lasted somewhere between 20 and 40 years. When they do fail its always the same 2 of 4 that fail. There is a good bit of labor involved to replace any of them so most will go ahead and replace all of them. No fault there. Hundreds of owners have done so only to have bushing fail again within 2 years. The first thing they do is go online and blame the quality and/or materials used in those aftermarket parts. Truth is, the wear and subsequent binding in the left hand wiper pivot wore the original bushings and the aftermarket bushings. They fail because they are supposed to in certain conditions.
Chryslers from day one through 1967 had bronze bushings leaving virtually no point of relief. The wiper operation would become very noisy but more importantly, The wiper motor would draw much more amperage. This contributes to those typical electrical failures, wires and various harness connectors eventual melting.
Bottom line, Go ahead and replace the plastic bushings once. If they fail again in short term, the root of the problem is very likely in the left hand wiper pivot assembly. You'll need to replace that along with the bushings to get your happy moparing.

I would add one little detail that will make your life easier when you put the bushings in.
Poke a pinhole in the bottom of the cup before assembly so the things don't try to pop back off from the air trapped in them.
They go on way easier, and stay.

Been there, done that.

-
Back