Where to purchase a A-500 / A-518

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Who sell's these refurbished and modified?

OUCH,nothing like a few swings below the belt.I have one but it's for my own car.Finding the transmission is half the battle,the other half is finding a transmission builder that will give you free advise and a phone # to call for help:glasses7:

I couldn't resist AnotherA:D

OUCH,nothing like a few swings below the belt.I have one but it's for my own car.Finding the transmission is half the battle,the other half is finding a transmission builder that will give you free advise and a phone # to call for help:glasses7:

I couldn't resist AnotherA:D

Hahahahaha. touche'
I couldn't help but give you a rough time when the opportunity presented itself. :D

Don't hold your breath but perhaps I can help? I will look around, I seem to remember a core or two laying around our shop. Doubt I would have a built one, probably a faulty unit but may be salvageable. Let me know exactly what you are looking for and I can find out on Monday.

If you can it would be easier to do an A518. While finding a A500 core and a good builder is a challenge, I found it's much more difficult to find a decent converter without spending $1000. Sure, Summit sells Hughes lockup converters for the A500, but if you need more than 2500 stall you're pretty much boned. The A518 on the other hand is much easier overall, and can be built non lockup to run any 727 converer. In my case the 518 was just too big so it wouldn't work.

On a side note, I payed a visit to Phoenix Transmission (cool place) trying to buy one of their A500s and the owner flat out talked me out of it. While I was there they had a nice Lil Red Express on the lift that was running a A518 and was swapping to a built 4L60E.

rmchrgr, if that offer was for me, thanks. Info is what I was looking for now. My purchasing power has dwindled after some purchase's and bills. (Tax return spending) A cheap working core would be great. Let me know.
It would be a big help in trial fitment issues/ AKA mock up.

BRONZEBEE Have you tried your local transmission shop?

Local shops will rebuild and some will do HP/modifying work, only if you have the unit. I have a difficult time find any shop storing transmissions for MoPars or any make really. Only unless it is a trans. that is known/prone to failure. AKA Ford Taurus and the likes.
There is a better return ($$$) to scrap them. Between demand and storage, after all, space is money, having what is most used/needed in stock is a better use of available space. They do what they can to have what is needed on hand.

383Duster Phoenix transmission in Weatherford, TX
Known modifier of tranny's? Web site?

UOP, what does the Mazda run?

UOP and everybody - I understand what your saying about ease of things. The larger trans. maybe a better idea on a few fronts. The intended car is a '79 Magnum, 360, mild mods to the engine. Exactly what the final configuration of the engine is will still need to be determined.

The target goal is a high performance drive with the abilty to go anywhere at anytime. Currently, the body work is on schedule to be started in a couple of weeks, as weather permits here in the North Eastern side of the states.
(While Long Island isn't the North East, a mere 20 miles separates us from this technical label.)

The A-500 is being selected for the smaller size and lower gear ratio of first gear @ 2.74, coupled with 3.55's in the rear. Tire size is currently and likely to remain 245/60/15 unless I find a wider tire with the same height. I find this a perfect diameter for the speedometer.
(Not exactly looking at this point in time though....)

Don't you come to Georgia every now and then? I am helping a friend run the office at his transmission shop right now. He's a big Mopar racer and knows Chrysler transmissions really well.

rmchrgr, if that offer was for me, thanks. Info is what I was looking for now. My purchasing power has dwindled after some purchase's and bills. (Tax return spending) A cheap working core would be great. Let me know.
It would be a big help in trial fitment issues/ AKA mock up

I will look into it tomorrow for you but don't hold your breath. We usually send stuff back for warranty and/or cores but I will definitely look and ask, there are some units around.

There are two trans shops on Jericho by me too, if we don't have one at work I can ask them for you.

I waiting to see how the 200R 4 trans update turns out, might be the best way to go-who cares the name on it, its how it fits and works that matters. Since Mopar couldn't come through, I find somebody elses trans to work, the 200R seems like a good maybe

Don't think the 2004r is any easier then the a500 swap.I had to do the same cross member mods,but i didn't have to use an adapter to bolt it up.
I would say the a500 swap is easier and cheaper at this point,from what i have seen.
It doesn't matter to me that he installs a gm transmission in his car,if it was easier i would have gone that way.:icon_smi:

I gotta check with my buddy down the street and see how his GM 4spd/OD swap is going. It's been awhile. It'll behind a stroker 440 in a 6X Cuda.

Sounds like your money is as tight as mine. I'm not interested in the performance upgrades and such , just the overdrive.
I saw a 93 Ram van with recently rebuilt trans, decent tires, etc.., drive it home, for 900 bucks on local Craigs List. There was my trans with a small junk stroage area to boot. I didn't have the coin at the time.

-
Back