Where to Start?

-

marksmopars

Reaction score
I would begin this with the note that I have always been a big fan of the mopar 340 cubic inch engine, especially when coupled with a pistol grip four speed! Given that fact, I have recently gotten involved in a project with my young son and a 1970 dart swinger, that came from the factory with the 198 cu in /6 and a 3 on the tree shifter. This project led me to this site where I have been treated to some fascinated educational information on these /6 engines. As a result I am very curious what you have have experience with these engines would suggest in this situation. To recap - I am building a 70 swinger, factory 198 /6, and we think at least for now the 6 should stay. We are mopar fans though and that means mopower, so if you was us, where would be a good place to begin to install the mo into our power? Noting of course that we have more skills than money! Any thoughts would most certainly be appreciated.

This is a great place to get started. Lots of Slant Sickness and people that have done just about everything that can be done.Many members are members on Slantsix.org too.Minor starting place is to get the car running the best it can with what you have right now.Then up grade to bigger carb/intake exhaust. In the late 90's it cost less than a grand to do my 67 Dart. I went with a 4 barrel intake,500 cfm AFB,Headers.light weight fan and a 2 1/2 inch single exhaust thru a Flowmaster 40 and continue with a 2 1/2 inch tail pipe. I had 3.55 gears in it when I moved to Nevada but quickly swaped in 2.76 for the 75+ mph highways out here.Stock internals,just bolt ons gave it a top speed of 118 mph over the the (almost) 90 mph that it had before (with the 2.76 gears) After I swapped in 340 valve springs and was able to peg the speedo and take the rpm from 4400 to 5000.
I am sure others will chime in with alot more info.(TURBO)...The old saying applies"How fast you wanna go?? How much money you got??"

Welcome to the world of Slant 6 motors !!!For what it's worth,in my opinion the /6 is an excellent place to start !! At 56 years old,I'm working on my 3rd /6 project ! I can't tell you how many times I've been to local cruise-ins,or the drag strip,and people hearing me pull in come up to find out what I have in my '69 Dart ? They go through the typical routine of 340,440,what ?? Then I pop the hood and see that it's just a /6,they can't believe what they just heard !! The reactions I get are priceless,and make every penny spent so well worthwhile I can't express !!! You won't be disappointed in the /6 !!Keep us up to date on your progress !!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

The 198 is a great motor. 7" rods and a 1.92 rod/stroke ratio.I have always wanted to build one for a light A body.

The 198 is a great motor. 7" rods and a 1.92 rod/stroke ratio.I have always wanted to build one for a light A body.

Lots of great information and support, you guys are great. I expect we will get this operational for now. We plan to do some body work and when we get the sheet metal back in shape will pull the motor etc so we can get paint on everything. I would invite you to follow as we go forward, we probably use what we have in the spirit of low budget, so you would be welcome to build this one vicariously with us. Thanks to all, more will be forthcoming.

Merry Christmas

Can you post some pictures of the way it is now? I'm bad about not taking before pics.
It makes for a more nifty story when you're done.
Include one with the car, you and your son!

Can you post some pictures of the way it is now? I'm bad about not taking before pics.
It makes for a more nifty story when you're done.
Include one with the car, you and your son!

I have a thread under member restorations where I have posted some pictures, not certain how to include the link here, but it is identified as a 1970 dart swinger father and son project. No pics of me and the kid yet, but will consider this for future pics as I do intend to share as much as folks are interested. Thanks for your support.

I love the Slant Six. It's longevity is legendary. Yes, the column shifter is straight out of 1942, but go to a show and see how many are out there. At the Mopar meets at Woodley Park in Van Nuys, it's rare to see even one.

They are the weak link in the drivetrain tho. Lots of black dots for As with manual transmissions in the Consumer Reports charts of the period.

And the brand new 63 Dart wagon my parents owned had to be towed from the driveway because the linkage locked up.

67 and up [IIRC] used a torque bar [or "Z" bar] that was more stout, one that I had adapted to the 63. Those have a tendency to simply crack from metal fatigue and are pretty spindly looking.

Until it was fixed mine was trouble from the beginning, it was well worn when I got it. Would have loved to swap for 4 speed on the floor or automatic because it was always messing up.

Since it's been fixed properly and works as it should, I would never change it. It's just so uncommon to see these days. Plus no one knows how to drive them anymore. Instant theft deterrent !!

Congratulations on your find. That body style still looks good and you're passing along your knowledge to the next generation. You're doing a lot more than just fixing up an old car whatever way you choose to do it.

If you plan on adding more power to the engine, figure on upgrading the transmission and rear end for a start. They're barely adequate for the 198 and just a grenade with the pin pulled for anything else. I'd get disc brakes and a front sway bar too if it doesn't have it already. Makes a world of difference with handling and braking.

-
Back