Where'd my 1st gear go!?

-

demon700

Reaction score
I got the car running today for the first time in about 3 years, backed it out of the garage, put it in 1st and nothing....second and third seem to be there but no first.
The tranny is freshly rebuilt, reverse manual valve body. The fella that built it is top notch and I have 100% faith it was done right, could it be an adjustment issue. I've heard of not having enough adjustment to catch third, but second and third are there, as is reverse, but second doesn't seem to have any power either...any suggestions? I believe the convertor is maybe a 3000 stall...

That could be, I'll jack it up and play with it a bit, it is a little screwy going from reverse to neutral. You shift it into N and it still hits reverse until you give it the extra little nudge

I,d try adjusting the cable first.I,m assuming you have an aftermarket shifter?
Also check fluid level in neutral,good luck.

depending on how the valve body is set up it can be a few things. if the trans is set to freewheel in 1st gear there is a possibilty that the sprag or one way clutch is bad. typically thats how rev man. valve bodies work. the rear clutch and the sprag make 1st gear happen, 2nd is rear clutch and kickdown band, and 3rd is rear clutch and frt clutch. so i don't think the rear clutch is a problem because 2nd and 3rd work. in some rare val. bodies they also use a 1st gear band apply which assists the sprag and if that is the case i would check the adjustment on the rear band, however the sprag might be a problem also because niether one would be working. if you have a 1st gear band apply it would drag the car down when you hit 1st gear like manually shifting it into low.hope this helps with your diagnosis.

if you have an aftermarket shifter...put the trans in neutral and the shifter in neutral the swivel should move in and out freely...

if you have an aftermarket shifter...put the trans in neutral and the shifter in neutral the swivel should move in and out freely...

By swivel do you mean on the end of the shifter cable? sorry,all this is foreign to me

(I,d try adjusting the cable first.I,m assuming you have an aftermarket shifter?
Also check fluid level in neutral,good luck.)

does it make a difference checking the fluid level in neutral? in park it is right where it should.

By swivel do you mean on the end of the shifter cable? sorry,all this is foreign to me

(I,d try adjusting the cable first.I,m assuming you have an aftermarket shifter?

does it make a difference checking the fluid level in neutral? in park it is right where it should.

I agree, check that cable adjustment . And unless you have modified the trans, yes , you check the trans fluid in neutral with the fluid at operating temp.

great, thanks for all the advice and tips. I'll go over it all tomorrow and let yas know how i make out. was kind of a buzz-kill when i back it out and all it does is rev...

you always check the fluid on a torqueflite in neutral with the engine running...

yes..at the end of the cable there should be a swivel ..the screws in or out....

put trans in neutral...shift in nuetral...adjust swivel to drop in hole...

Thanks everyone, topped fluid up in neutral (was down a bit) and re-adjusted with everythin in N and volla! all three gears. Next is to get the engine a serious tune up and it should be good. Thanks again

-
Back