Where's my map light?

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
My car originally came with the map light option. I have a toggle switch on my lower left dash that has a bezel with "map light" on it. My question is....where is it and what does it look like? My car is missing a lot of interior pieces so I don't know if it's missing or not. It would help if actually knew what to look for. Lol. Thanks!

I have a map light switch too but can't find my light. From my owners manual it looks like it should be under the dash around the ash tray. I looked there in the passenger side area but only saw my turn signal relay.

The light itself should be in a plastic housing located on the passenger side under the dash.

Not my pic but....

Attachments

• Map Light Location.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 328
Thanks for the photo! Does it shine down toward the floor, sit in a hole under the dash, pull out? I have factory a/c so that kinda takes up most of the underside of the dash.

My car originally came with the map light option. I have a toggle switch on my lower left dash that has a bezel with "map light" on it. My question is....where is it and what does it look like? My car is missing a lot of interior pieces so I don't know if it's missing or not. It would help if actually knew what to look for. Lol. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this topic...we have a 1975 Scamp and we were trying to figure this out...and thank you 6pk for the photo...this is why this site is so great and you guys rock!!! Marla

Thanks for the photo! Does it shine down toward the floor, sit in a hole under the dash, pull out? I have factory a/c so that kinda takes up most of the underside of the dash.

Yes, it shines down on the floor and sits right where the picture shows.....He has it circled....His dash is backward in the picture but it will be buy the passenger's left leg if he was setting in the passenger seat......It is fixed with a bracket....It does not pull out......It will be a black plastic 2 or 2-1/2 inch cone shape with a bulb in the middle.....Yours probably has a burnt out bulb or missing bulb that is why you can not find it....Or hell, maybe it is missing all together

That baby gets hot too, so make sure it isn't touching anything else.

I have those map lights if you find you need one PM me

Use an LED light if you have to install a bulb, reduces heat greatly!!!

Yes, it shines down on the floor and sits right where the picture shows.....He has it circled....His dash is backward in the picture but it will be buy the passenger's left leg if he was setting in the passenger seat......It is fixed with a bracket....It does not pull out......It will be a black plastic 2 or 2-1/2 inch cone shape with a bulb in the middle.....Yours probably has a burnt out bulb or missing bulb that is why you can not find it....Or hell, maybe it is missing all together
Thanks! I'll have to crawl under there n look for it.

With an a/c car it might be closer to the glovebox, or even on the other side of the glovebox.
C

On the early As the bulb holder is constructed of metal and has a plastic lens cover that snaps in place to diffuse the light. The later ones (black plastic ones) it's just a bare bulb and no bulb cover.

With an a/c car it might be closer to the glovebox, or even on the other side of the glovebox.
C

This

On my 75 Duster with AC it is on the far right side. Seems kinda goofy, since the switch is on far left near the e-brake

Use an LED light if you have to install a bulb, reduces heat greatly!!!
Do you have a part number or a link to the LED replacement bulb? My map light is missing a bulb so I'm not sure which one to get. I don't have an old one to take to the autoparts store to compare

Yes the bulb is in the location mentioned on a NON A/C car. On an A/C equipped car it should be over to the right of the glovebox, since the A/C vents would be in the way.

The dash lower frame has holes in both locations for the light socket depending on options.

Great! I have been puzzled as to where this light was, I search and problem solved, anybody know the light bulb number to get?

Your FSM lists all the bulb specs (you DO have a FSM for your car, right?). A 71 FSM lists an 89 for the A and E Body map light bulbs and a 562 for a B Body.

-
Back