Which AC/heat system and why?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Looking to add an AC/heater system to a 73 Dart Swinger small block.
Looking at Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air.
Which would you recommend and why?

Thanks

I cannot comment on Classic Air, because I have not installed any of those. I've installed several Vintage Air units and I don't like them. Their controls are chinsey as heck and the fit of the boxes is terrible.

To be honest both are just as good. Did Vintage in a 66 Charger I had. Also a Duster and now in my 63 Belvedere.
My buddy did Classic in his 67 Valiant pretty much the same. All were nice and cold. Also the heat feature.
My only complaint would be the fan. The low setting isn't slow enough for me. High will blow you out of the car !

If you have a heat only car go with classic auto. That’s what I have. It’s almost a direct replacement. If you have an A/C car you can do either. With the A/C car you will have to fab a block off plate. There is a member here that has the stencil for it. I preferred classic auto, vintage air is about 4 miles from my house and found them rather difficult to deal with in person. I don’t know the firewall difference between 67 and 73 if there is any.

To be honest both are just as good. Did Vintage in a 66 Charger I had. Also a Duster and now in my 63 Belvedere.
My buddy did Classic in his 67 Valiant pretty much the same. All were nice and cold. Also the heat feature.
My only complaint would be the fan. The low setting isn't slow enough for me. High will blow you out of the car !
Does his compressor run a belt around crank, PS, and compressor? Trying to get feedback on how that single belt worked out for others?

That might be a nice change from the sissy stock fan.:D

That's because no one ever works on 73 and newer cars.

We should all know that by now.

I thanked a few but yours is sarcastic.:D

The classic uses your original heat controls. For both A/C and heat.

Nice, as this was a concern.
Thank you.

That helps, thanks.

I am running a single belt for now. Direct from crank.The compressor has a turn buckle adjuster.I plan on power steering in the future so things will change.

IMG_0004.JPG

That might be a nice change from the sissy stock fan.:D

I thanked a few but yours is sarcastic.:D

Nice, as this was a concern.
Thank you.

That helps, thanks.

I added a signature in my profile right after I posted that, so folks would know I have a 73.

It's kind of a raw deal that MFGs think no one has 73 and up cars, even if their products actually do work on them. Surely they could take the time to verify instead of leaving that up to our word of mouth.

Best I can tell, the issue with the ‘73+ cars is the controls. The later heater box reversed the direction for the blend door lever so the control lever goes opposite. I am fairly sure the firewall is the same and I don’t think the dash frame changed for non-ralley dashes.

Only other thing could be the wiring.

If you aren’t using the original controls it probably doesn’t matter. And if you are, look into making sure the ‘72 down controls bolt in and then tell them you have a ‘72.

I added a signature in my profile right after I posted that, so folks would know I have a 73.

It's kind of a raw deal that MFGs think no one has 73 and up cars, even if their products actually do work on them. Surely they could take the time to verify instead of leaving that up to our word of mouth.

Didn’t know you have a 73 as well, but I don’t dive very deep into a lot of the details of people either.

My wife bought a 72 and told me she would trade me because she likes the 73.
I told her I would have to swap over the drivetrain and upgrades to the 72 and she said “No way, as is”
Uhh I don’t think so.

So there it sits with it’s lightly modded 318, recent built 904, two barrel and single exhaust.
It runs and drives nice but just sits there.

Tried to PM this, but your inbox is full.

IMG_2540.jpeg

A restored factory system works best, but parts are hard to find and it is the most expensive way to go.

I have Classic Auto Air in my 69 Barracuda. It works great. It uses my controls after I modify them a bit. Their instructions have been updated. They used to be really crappy. If you have any questions, their tech people are only a phone call away. I put the system in about 15 years ago, and it is still working great. For several years, I told people that the system was great, but the instructions were horrible, but they have been updated. I would recommend going to the website and carefully reading the installation instructions. My system blows so cold, I have to turn it way down after a little while.

Not to get too far off topic, but for a LONG time all the MFG and most of the hobby participants thought no one had any 72 cars either, and that "the hobby" stopped after 1971. 72's have kinda crept in as people slowly figure out that styling in dang near identical to 71, and the change from gross to net HP and a slight decrease in compression wasn't a 30% drop in power.

I have Classic Auto Air in my 69 Barracuda. It works great. It uses my controls after I modify them a bit. Their instructions have been updated. They used to be really crappy. If you have any questions, their tech people are only a phone call away. I put the system in about 15 years ago, and it is still working great. For several years, I told people that the system was great, but the instructions were horrible, but they have been updated. I would recommend going to the website and carefully reading the installation instructions. My system blows so cold, I have to turn it way down after a little while.
Does you AC belt run around crank, PS, and AC? I bought kit from them and wondering if the belt will slip with that routing?

-
Back