Classic auto air install:will 72 duster heater controls fit 73 dash ????????

-

panheadchuck

Reaction score
So after much research and talking with Classic Auto Air. the reason their kit stops at 72 is because the heater controls are slightly different . however they can be modded to work with the 70-72 kit they offer . So im tearing things apart getting ready . when i took the 73 heater controls out most of the plastic just turned to powder . Its in pretty poor shape.. i Need a new control setup . my question is , will a 71-72 control fit in the dash in place of the 73 . Can i just use the earlier bezel, This is not a concourse resto . a nice driver so im not worried about being correct . Hell ( and ill prob get hanged for this) it has a silver sport 4l65 tranny in it lol. Anyway any help would be fantastic

So after much research and talking with Classic Auto Air. the reason their kit stops at 72 is because the heater controls are slightly different . however they can be modded to work with the 70-72 kit they offer . So im tearing things apart getting ready . when i took the 73 heater controls out most of the plastic just turned to powder . Its in pretty poor shape.. i Need a new control setup . my question is , will a 71-72 control fit in the dash in place of the 73 . Can i just use the earlier bezel, This is not a concourse resto . a nice driver so im not worried about being correct . Hell ( and ill prob get hanged for this) it has a silver sport 4l65 tranny in it lol. Anyway any help would be fantastic

I am wondering this also. I have a 70 Dart with a 73+ dash for the square instrument cluster.

Same boat here. The wife wants a function heater and AC in her 73duster
Well the thing is , everything is the same except the heater controls , and classic auto air tech will help u with the mod of the 73 unit. I have the guys extension that told me. Im just wondering if a 71-72 will work since i need a new control anyway. Why not buy one that i dont have to mod ? Know what i mean. I built this car for my wife and like yours she wants AC power steering and beakes etc . I put the box in today and its exactly like the directions said. I think the only dif is in the configuration of the blower switch.

Well the thing is , everything is the same except the heater controls , and classic auto air tech will help u with the mod of the 73 unit. I have the guys extension that told me. Im just wondering if a 71-72 will work since i need a new control anyway. Why not buy one that i dont have to mod ? Know what i mean. I built this car for my wife and like yours she wants AC power steering and beakes etc . I put the box in today and its exactly like the directions said. I think the only dif is in the configuration of the blower switch.

I have a 70 dash frame, would it help to take a picture of the heater area? As long as the 72 down will bolt into the 73+ frame you should be all good.

I can hook you guys up with 67-72 heater control patch panels for $25 plus shipping each.
Have at least a half dozen on hand now

I'm no totally familiar with every a-body dash and climate controller. I know a hand full of them.
The most obvious change is the fan switch, 73 and later moves left/right, pre 73 moves up/down.
And of course the finish bezel difference is obvious.
Less obvious is the opening in the metal dash. Mounting holes for the controller/bezel moved.
Then the controllers... pre 73 heat only were all mechanical cable to blend door operation.
I'm pretty sure all 73 and later were a mix of vacuum and mechanical door operation.
Where there is a vacuum switch block, fan off wiring is on that switch block also. That left/right fan switch served no less than low speed. Where there was no vacuum switch block, the up/down fan switch did go to off. So... just look at the displays, notice where "OFF" is placed.

I'm no totally familiar with every a-body dash and climate controller. I know a hand full of them.
The most obvious change is the fan switch, 73 and later moves left/right, pre 73 moves up/down.
And of course the finish bezel difference is obvious.
Less obvious is the opening in the metal dash. Mounting holes for the controller/bezel moved.
Then the controllers... pre 73 heat only were all mechanical cable to blend door operation.
I'm pretty sure all 73 and later were a mix of vacuum and mechanical door operation.
Where there is a vacuum switch block, fan off wiring is on that switch block also. That left/right fan switch served no less than low speed. Where there was no vacuum switch block, the up/down fan switch did go to off. So... just look at the displays, notice where "OFF" is placed.

I have a dash and non ac controls from a 76 duster and my cables are mechanical and besides the switch moving up and down vs left to right, I don't see a difference in the controls. The switch is just a simple toggle, for Hi, Lo, OFF. I'm sure the earlier ones were the same just left to right.

Last edited:
I have a dash and non ac controls from a 76 duster and my cables are mechanical and besides the switch moving up and down vs left to right, I don't see a difference in the controls. The switch is just a simple 3 prong toggle, for Hi, Lo, OFF. I'm sure the earlier ones were the same just left to right.
Im gonna call the guy at classic air. That may be the only mod the switch

KIMG0474.JPG

1973-76
2017-08-11 09.34.19.jpg

1967-72

Ok so i can buy a patch panel. Cut tge tabs off and weld in correct place.

You can still tack in the tabs and it will be behind the bezel. And not yet on the classic air call

After looking closer it does look like it is just how it mounts, the hole opening looks to be the same. Hmm.. Either way there is going to be modding. I probably would just go with what Classic suggested on the mods to the switch, mine is in fine shape.

After looking closer it does look like it is just how it mounts, the hole opening looks to be the same. Hmm.. Either way there is going to be modding. I probably would just go with what Classic suggested on the mods to the switch, mine is in fine shape.
The size and shape of the opening is different

I have a dash and non ac controls from a 76 duster and my cables are mechanical and besides the switch moving up and down vs left to right, I don't see a difference in the controls. The switch is just a simple toggle, for Hi, Lo, OFF. I'm sure the earlier ones were the same just left to right.
OK, If late model basic non a/c uses 3 cables and no vacuum, and those cables attach and operate the same directions, maybe the earlier controller will work. Like I said, I aint dealt with all of them.
Good luck to all

OK, If late model basic non a/c uses 3 cables and no vacuum, and those cables attach and operate the same directions, maybe the earlier controller will work. Like I said, I aint dealt with all of them.
Good luck to all

I think I might give them a call so we can know what exactly we need to modify. I am not in a spot to buy this yet, but it would be nice to know and document.

I HAVE A 68 DART GT IT HAS NO HEATER OR A/C. I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A/C IN THE CAR SO I CAN DRIVE IT IN THE SUMMER MONTHS DOWN HERE (FL). ANY IDEAS ON HOW AND WHERE TO GET WHAT I NEED TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN? WOULD IT BE A DIFFICULT INSTALL? I KNOW MY BROTHERS HERE WON'T LET ME DOWN. THANKS

I HAVE A 68 DART GT IT HAS NO HEATER OR A/C. I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A/C IN THE CAR SO I CAN DRIVE IT IN THE SUMMER MONTHS DOWN HERE (FL). ANY IDEAS ON HOW AND WHERE TO GET WHAT I NEED TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN? WOULD IT BE A DIFFICULT INSTALL? I KNOW MY BROTHERS HERE WON'T LET ME DOWN. THANKS
I have everything you need to make the conversion if you want to go with factory parts.

-
Back