Which Carb for the Spring

-

73DartSport340

Reaction score
Well ive asked this question over on the Moparts board and got so many different replies and arguments for/against certain carbs that I have no idea what to get...I am not sure if I asked this on this board so here it goes.

Late last Summer before I got sick and needed surgery(which im STILL recovering from ..Crohn's Disease SUX) I was ready to get a new carb to replace the 750 eddie on my 340. The 750 on it now was set up for a much larger cam and more race oriented...it was the 284/484 MP grind which is pretty big in a 340. the choke plate is gone and its had the butterflies drilled so it would idle right/better with that bigger cam.

Well the BIG cam is gone and has a "stock"(the smaller Summit kit cam)grind cam back in it. I think all the other info is in my sig pic..auto tranny, 3.21 suregrip,headers...im wondering what to run for a carb on this car...it will NOT be a "race car" its mostly a cruiser...I MAY(good chance) upgrade the cam to something a bit bigger but not like the one that WAS in it. I will be leaving the gears alone. I want it to run well and be a strong runner for a mostly stock car(id love to be in the high 13's which is probably a stretch with what I have but I can always dream). Im NOT concerned with MPG..I don't even have the vaccum advance hooked up(but will probably hook it back up just for looks)

Cams ive thought of or been recomended on the Moparts board

650 Eddie Thunder series
750 Holley 3310(with yellow or white spring)
600 Holley(ive actually got one laying in the shed)
650 Double Pumper
650 Proform
Original Thermoquad(which I also have and would send out to DemonSizzler to have rebuilt)
670 Holley Avenger or what ever the new street carb series is

i think that about covers the choices I had. I want to get something this spring..The old Eddie does "work" but is pretty much undajustable and with the butterflies drilled and the choke plate missing...well its a hard start especialy after sitting any ammount of time...I want something EASY to work on and that I can set and forget and not tinker with every 10 minutes im NOT a carb guy and cant really tune them myself(although i did get a holley tuning book for christmas lol) Im probably going to order or get this in mid March to put on in April.

I absolutely love my 650 Thunder AVS carb. Its on my 318, that AVS is worth every penny as far as fine tuning goes. My car was turnkey after heat soaking in 113* vegas summers. Turn ket on 40* mornings in december with that thing. Never let me down, i'd buy another in a heartbeat.

My personal opinion. If ultra-allout-every possible hp is not needed. I see no reason to run a holley/demon on a car that sees 90% street. No point in extra fuss, having to retune it if the sun goes down too early. That im sure will stir up the holley boys. But thats just my 2cents.

Right out of the box my eddie carb was put on. Held a perfect idle, pretty good throttle response. Ran great otb, just tinkered with it over time. It's since putting out about 280-290rwhp SAE based of mph. It dynoed 240rwhp at 6000feet directly out of the box. :thumbup:

I see no reason to run a holley/demon on a car that sees 90% street. No point in extra fuss, having to retune it if the sun goes down too early. That im sure will stir up the holley boys. But thats just my 2cents.

Quit a statement from someone who has no personal experience on the subject what so ever!!

DartSport

Based on your combo and future aspirations, as long as you are going to keep the new cam below 240*@.050 (which I'm pretty sure you are) go with a 650vs Speed Demon. i ran one on my 340 with a 230/237* cam and it worked just fine - even though that is contrary to the statement above :angry4:
My second choice would be the Holley 660 Street Avenger, which will also work pretty good too. :thumbup:

GoodysGotaCuda said:
I absolutely love my 650 Thunder AVS carb. Its on my 318, that AVS is worth every penny as far as fine tuning goes. My car was turnkey after heat soaking in 113* vegas summers. Turn ket on 40* mornings in december with that thing. Never let me down, i'd buy another in a heartbeat.

My personal opinion. If ultra-allout-every possible hp is not needed. I see no reason to run a holley/demon on a car that sees 90% street. No point in extra fuss, having to retune it if the sun goes down too early. That im sure will stir up the holley boys. But thats just my 2cents.

Right out of the box my eddie carb was put on. Held a perfect idle, pretty good throttle response. Ran great otb, just tinkered with it over time. It's since putting out about 280-290rwhp SAE based of mph. It dynoed 240rwhp at 6000feet directly out of the box. :thumbup:

Wow,obviously YOU don't know how to tune a Holley correctly!!!!! dartsport on your combination i'd go with a 3310 750 it should work fine with your cam choice and if you upgrade a little more on lift it'll work with that too...my present duster came with a boat anchor 318 w a .477 lift cam aluminum intake and 3310 750,car always ran great for what it was,and i've used the 3310 on many applications for years with good results......

Thanks for the answers so far guys keep em commin! Oh and yes...even IF/When I upgrade the cam its gonna juat be a small upgrade...just want a few more horses not the entire stables :) absolutely nothing radical or that wont be streetable with everything working like it should and pulling good vaccum....

I like my Holley 750 DP with mech secondaries. I'm running it on a 440. Never had a single problem with it. Here in TX, it cranks on the first try in the summer and winter. Oh yeah, the choke tower has been ground off too!

Greg

DartSport - I currently run an Eddy 600 1405 on a stock 340, auto, 3.21 gear. It was pretty much bolt on and go. A very streetable and reliable carb. I just happen to be looking for a little more and will be upgrading to a Holley 670 Street Avenger. It's already on the way. I'll let you know how the tuning part of it goes.

you know, a quick metering rod change to most eddy 600's (1406) can get some nice punch over otb. just finished doing so on a customers 70 dart w/360 and 68 cougar w/351. read the booklet that comes with the carbs, it has a tuning chart that is VERY helpful.
I myself run a holley 3310 vs, yellow spring, 72/76 jets(i installed a rear metering block, those plates are good for recycling only) and a proform main body. if you want a better idling cam, maybe good vacuum for your power brakes(if you have any), then get a dual pattern cam. that means that the intake and exhaust have 2 different durations and lifts.

I have quite a hot 360 that I have been swapping carbs between a Holley 600cfm, Road Demon 725 and Holley 3310, 750.

Strickly for street use the 600 cfm vacuum secondary Holley is by far the best choice and is the one that is on my engine the most. The throttle response from 1000-2000 rpm is so much better it make the car much more enjoyable to drive on the street. It does give up power above 5500rpm but again on the street I do not spend much time in that rpm range.

The 3310 750 Holley is very close in throttle response below 2000 rpm and has noticablly more power above 5500 rpm and is still pulling strong at 6500 rpm. I notice you mention the yellow spring. In my engine that is all together to soft. I run the plain spring, even going to the purple I start to get a bog because the secondaries open too fast.

The Road Demon has very bad manners below 1500 rpm to the point that the car is not enjoyable to drive. Once above 2000 it runs as well as the Holley 750. I spent most of last summer trying to get the transition circuits sorted out on this carb to improve the throttle response but never did. BG's tech support was less than helpful and basically told me I purchased the wrong carb and should have gotten a 650 Speed Demon. Since the only difference other than jets between the 650 and 725 is the size of the verturi bowls I asked about purchasing a 650 main body and was basically blown off.

IMHO, If the choice is between a Holley or BG carb I would go with the Holley becuase of the parts and support availability. Even though the BG carb is basically a rehash of a Holley only jets, gaskets, PV and secondary springs are interchangeable.

Also, my Barracuda has run a 13.7@ 120mph with the 600 carb so it really isn't a bad choice. My recomendation regardless of brand is to stay in the 600-650 range.

The OE T-Q's are great carbs that can be modded well for street strip dutys.
But, getting parts for them can take time should a failure occur.
Thats all I'll say about that or any carb. I just thought it a weird choice. Only because the others are square bore carbs.

What intake is being run?

I'm soooooo with dgc. What ever carb you run, the cfm range (600 - 650) is what your after. (The T-Q is exempt from tis due to the carbs design.)
Theres actually little HP to be gained in a larger carb in many cases.

You said your not a carb guy. Dude, you gotta learn a lil'something or you'll just be unhappy at every little problem that happens.

The opinion of what carb is best is a debate of which can go on nearly forever just like, whats better
340 vs 360
stroked 400 or 440
E body vs B body

The list is endless and arguments go on forever. Just like the jack *** you meet at the shows;
"Dude, you should have........"

if you want a better idling cam, maybe good vacuum for your power brakes(if you have any), then get a dual pattern cam. that means that the intake and exhaust have 2 different durations and lifts.

one i got in it now is about as docile as it gets :) basicaly the stock grind.

You said your not a carb guy. Dude, you gotta learn a lil'something or you'll just be unhappy at every little problem that happens.

thats why im really hoping to get money for Fuel Injection someday then i can throw those damn carbs in the trash lol....BUT since that does not look like its happening any time soon I guess mabey my Holley book could come in handy. Im sure they make a eddie book just like it...I do think if I go Eddie it will be the Thunder Series so either a 650 or 800 (the 650 seems right from the info in this post) becuase with the other "regular" eddies that ive had ive ALWAYS had a long sit start problem...and by long I mena more than 4-5 days.....after sitting for 4-5 days without running which is a normal/regular occurance for me its a BEAR to start. Now go back the next day or what ever it will start right up one turn of the key...let it sit from Sun till Sat the next weekend and you got 20+ seconds of cranking pumping gas for it to catch..in posting that it seems to be a common problem with the 600/750 non thunder series but no one I know of with a thunder series has that complaint.....

I have a Holley 3310 750 on my 383 and it, like every Holley I have ever run, has been a set-it-and-forget-it carb. Once it is dialed in it is done on a street car. I have heard good and bad things about the demon carbs (even here on these forums) but I have never run one. You would be good to go with a 650. If you are looking for low end torque and are not so concerned about high RPM horsepower put it on a dual plane intake.

What intake is being run?

right now its got a Edlebrock performer(not the RPM) and a 750 Eddie on it. ive got the original intake and TQ and a old Holley 600 out in the shed that I never could get set right on the RoadRunner when I had that.

Oh and as I have plenty of hood clerance with the 6 pack hood...I assume IF I did got the TQ route that id just need a adaptor anyways to run it right?

Yes, the adapter will mount the T-Q on the RPM. Just need longer bolts/studs.

Wait, made a mistake. The adapter will do the trick, but the RPM has only one set of tapped holes. For a Holley. The T-Q doesn't have the extra holes.

The adapter will need to have a set (4) of bolts on the inner holes as the adapter plate gets set down and bolted on the intake via the outter holes.

also found out I think at least that I also do NOT have the original TQ its a later series 9000(9147S to be exact) series TQ thats supposedly if I read the numbers right on Sizzlers site a smog era carb so now I am probably going to go with the 650 Thunderseries IF I can get one for a decent price this spring.

the rpm is also a higher rise dual plane manifold and will give better midrange and topend. get one if you can. that and the 650 eddy avs will be a great combo.

73DartSport340 said:
I don't have the RPM I have the regular old PERFORMER NOT the Performer RPM

Ouch! Sorry. My bad. I'd follow redfastbcak. Good choice/combo red.

-
Back