Which Carb Gives a Balance of Power & MPG?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine bought a thermo and street dominator intake.

as he was showing it to me and telling me how it was a good combo n such...I showed him how the carb didn't reach wot cause the secondaries hit the plenum flange.

check everything, and especially with the thermoquad.

Ahh, I forgot about that intake! (Bad rumble bad!) I'm running said intake on my B/B 400 right now. The OE type "Thick" T-Q gasket should be used for starters.

im a welder. i can put all the meat in the world on that intake. if i find a performer for what i want to pay ill just go with that. it is the best option for what im doing. i have the single plane m1 but i need a dual plane intake.

Ahh, I forgot about that intake! (Bad rumble bad!) I'm running said intake on my B/B 400 right now. The OE type "Thick" T-Q gasket should be used for starters.

you mean the EO typ THERMOQUAD gasket. stop usin those Chevy terms in here. bad rumble bad!

do you have any dyno results or photos with demensions to prove that? the offy doesnt intrest me and i seriously doubt it will outperform the performer intake, let alone the bang for the buck you can get for the price of it. i did have a 400 tq intake and if i still had it id use it, but im not going to pay for one. i have a 30 383 4 brl intake but its a square bore. for what its worth i do remember reading the 400 spreadbore egr intake was the best power maker for a factory b engine intake. i did buy an offy 2x2 intake for a project but it was a period looking build and it fit the bill. they all have thier place.

you need to read up on the offy intakes.they are not a 180 dual plane. they are a 360 design. It's a single plane in a dual plane package. no one else makes intakemanifods lite them. nobody. that's why they are expensive. they outflow anythingelse in their class. you want proof? you have a computer and the internet just like I do. it's all over the place. just look for it.

I definitely noticed better throttle response and torque when I swapped from an iron 4-bbl. intake to a Performer on my 318. And the one I have is non-EGR...

Sure you noticed a difference. you shed 30 pounds. LOL also i was speaking about the big block intake.you cannot find a performer without egr provision. they do not make one.

i really have no intrest in the offy manifolds for my car, but im somewhat open minded so did a quick google search for offy 360 mopar intakes and a 383 intake manifold shootout from hot rod magazine is one of the first to come up, which i have read plenty of times as i have used several b motors in the past, but never paid the offy any attention. maybe thier test is biased? i dont know, but even the performer blows away the offy 360 intake.

The only Offy I'll take a look at for my small block is the Port-o-sonic.
Any link to a dyno shoot out with offy's?

i lost track i dont even know if thats the same intake he was pushing, but that was the first thing that popped up and it is a pretty informative shootout and nice that its a b motor test so it uses the exact manifolds i would be using. i was planning on running the 666 383 iron intake i have with a 750 VS on this 400 but i really want to try a thermoquad. this car isnt going to be hitting the strip to often. i built the dart for that.

Did they mention how the engine was built? I didn't see it. At the HP levels, it looks like a nice street freindly build.

I use BG and Demon carbs on EVERYTHING i own (i have had/used EVERYTHING out there)...except the Jeep..and that is going to change soon too...

I have not used a road demon version... though i am using a couple Speed demons and 1 AN style Speed demon, and 1 mighty, 2 BG customs.

My Power Ram with the AN VS 750 speed demon on 418" and 6500lbs or probably 6800 lbs gets 17 mpg.... driving the truck and keeping that 418" lazy is great...start playing with that 418 and she'll gulp rather then sip.
Throttle response is better then efi, as compared to the jeep..the demon puts it to shame, including mpg, and the jeep is lighter... i have found the demons to be very smooth, and quickly responsive to more pedal increments..
The Demon and BG's have given the best performance out of EVERYTHING i have used and tried, i am not mpg guy either, i could care less about mpg... but look at that heavy weight out doing efi....

Hey..

I will take those so called crappy Offenhauser intakes! I have one on my 318 and it pulls like a train once you get it wound up.

Hey..

I will take those so called crappy Offenhauser intakes! I have one on my 318 and it pulls like a train once you get it wound up.

Me too. The Offy intake I spoke of wasn't even in the comparison. It wouldda wiped um out. The Offenhauser 360 manifold is NOT comparable to the Performer. Even Edelbrock's own description is "A stock replacement intake". The 360 is nowhere near a stock manifold. Just so we all know which manifold I'm talking about, since i have both the Performer 383 and the Offenhauser 360, here they are side by side.

First off, here is the manifold in question.
DSCF1331.jpg

Here is a Performer 383 and the 360 side by side.
DSCF1325.jpg

Here is a closeup of the Performer's plenum.
DSCF1326.jpg

Just like a stock intake, it is a dual plane design which promotes stock like engine responses and is good to around 5000-5500 RPM.

A closeup of the Offenhauser's plenum.
DSCF1327.jpg

Notice how deep it is in comparison. The plenum extends almost the ENTIRE width of the intake. It is huge. The intake port dividers only run into the intake a few inches and then it's just an open plenum. It's a well known fact these sumbitches will pull past 7500 RPM while retaining excellent bottom end power and torque. The Performer ain't doin all that.

Again, the side by side shot. It's apparent how much taller the carb pad is. This just adds even more to the plenum volume.
DSCF1325.jpg

From the top, the difference becomes very apparent.
DSCF1324.jpg

The 360 is obviously a single plane intake manifold. We all know single planes make more ultimate TQ and HP up top, but the 360 is a different style of single plane. It is able to retain the bottom end TQ and HP and still pull great on top too. I wasn't trying to "push" the intake. If somebody wants this Perfoprmer 383, I'll push that all day long. Yall ain't gettin the Offenhauser.

Oh, and lastly, the Offenhauser has enough meat already to open up for a spread bore. the reason there is because they also make an idntical manifold for the spread bore. It's the same casting with an opened up carb pad. Although I'm going to run a thermoquad, I have actually decided to break one of cardinal rules and run an adapter plate. That will raise my RPM range a little more.

To expound a little further, here is Summit Racing and Offenhauser's description.

"Offenhauser's 360 Degree Equa-Flow Single Quad High-Rise intake manifolds feature a 360 degree design for full-capacity operation. This combination of unrestricted fuel-air flow and a divided plenum means no flat spots throughout the entire rpm range. What does all this mean? The equal fuel flow to each cylinder increases horsepower and torque, while evening-out individual cylinder temperatures. Power bands start as low as 1,800 rpm with a small carb and climb all the way to 8,800 rpm with a big one."

That offy resembles EVERY marine intake i have ever seen....same level divided plenum....

A non raised, non dual level short runner.. That is not as good as the DP edel which has a longer runner aiding the low and more on the mid range.

Though i don't know where you see this open plenum? See some marine motors, sb's and bb's all had the same flat short runner intakes...

It's hard to describe about the plenum. You have to see it. The plenum is completely open on both sides all the way from the front to the rear of the manifold. It is described as a high rise manifold on every retail site and on Offenhauser's site. It's simply not as tall runner wise, because it's a single plane. It is a different type single plane. But I completely understand your point. I've run these in the past and they will out pull just about everything in their class. I have run several on different applications. Have you ever run one?

There called (Around here at least) divided single planes, which I'm sure you have heard before. There low rise runners are much like the older MoPar single plane intakes, like the 273 units. I think a guy has one for sale here now....

I'd like to see the Offy with a decent raise to the runners myself. I know what you mean, your description about being very open under the carb. It's like a long tunnel with the intake runners coming into it rather than the intake runners going to the carb.

There called (Around here at least) divided single planes, which I'm sure you have heard before. There low rise runners are much like the older MoPar single plane intakes, like the 273 units. I think a guy has one for sale here now....

I'd like to see the Offy with a decent raise to the runners myself. I know what you mean, your description about being very open under the carb. It's like a long tunnel with the intake runners coming into it rather than the intake runners going to the carb.

I'm going to say this...

My Offenhauser is a killer intake. A buddy even ran an Offenhauser on his Olds 455 and that worked pretty damn good on that. My seat of the pants dyno says "IT FREAKIN WORKS!!"...

New technology or "smu technology"...Give me what works even if it is 40 years old.

BTW...Do not believe every dyno test swap thingie you see in magazines. Sometimes dyno's get happy and certain parts are played up in the name of capital gain=$$$$..

i have nothing against new technology, and i have no doubt that almost every aftermarket intake out there will make power. i am just a skeptic that the offy is the cats meow.

BTW...Do not believe every dyno test swap thingie you see in magazines. Sometimes dyno's get happy and certain parts are played up in the name of capital gain=$$$$..

How so? Considering most every manufacturer spends money on advertisments in most every mag in automotive areas.

i have nothing against new technology, and i have no doubt that almost every aftermarket intake out there will make power. i am just a skeptic that the offy is the cats meow.

I think you're missin the point I was trying to make. I never said it was the cat's meow.....for anyone but me. I happen to like them. I posted what I did merely from a comparison standpoint since I have both intake manifolds. I also posted the information that is posted both on the Offenhauser site and the Summit Racing site. That was not my opinion, but a description of the manifold based on R&D dyno testing. Offenhauser is a legendary name with a rich racing history. They've never made junk that I'm aware of. They've made some pretty freaky stuff, but the quality and performance has always been top notch.

It's hard to describe about the plenum. You have to see it. The plenum is completely open on both sides all the way from the front to the rear of the manifold. It is described as a high rise manifold on every retail site and on Offenhauser's site. It's simply not as tall runner wise, because it's a single plane. It is a different type single plane. But I completely understand your point. I've run these in the past and they will out pull just about everything in their class. I have run several on different applications. Have you ever run one?

I think you are confusing that style offy for the port o sonic which is a completely different intake then the one in the picture and is a some what dual plane with intersecting runners...
I wonder if they make them anymore, i had had a offy port o version intake years ago, which was great low and mid.

I made excellent grades in English in high school. Was my strongest subject besides auto shop. No confusion here. I know which intake it is. It is the 360 Equa-Flow. I gave the correct description in my post with the pics. What do you think I did? Just make all that up? Here is the quote again. I copied it form Summit Racing, but it is also on the Offenhauser site, Jegs, PAW and everyone else who carries Offenhauser.

"Offenhauser's 360 Degree Equa-Flow Single Quad High-Rise intake manifolds feature a 360 degree design for full-capacity operation. This combination of unrestricted fuel-air flow and a divided plenum means no flat spots throughout the entire rpm range. What does all this mean? The equal fuel flow to each cylinder increases horsepower and torque, while evening-out individual cylinder temperatures. Power bands start as low as 1,800 rpm with a small carb and climb all the way to 8,800 rpm with a big one."

Good God. Some of yall need to be frikkin lawyers you like to argue so damned much. I hope that clears up YOUR confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back