Which Carb/Intake Combo?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm helping my dad put a fresh 360 build together for his 71 D100 pickup and finally got the block and heads back from the machine shop and have assembled the shortblock. It's pretty much a stock-ish rebuild. The specs of the short block are:

'78 360 block, .030 overbore
H405CP pistons
Stock heads rebuilt w/ 3 angle valve job and comp 901 springs
Measured 8.6:1 SCR
Comp XE256H cam

The truck has 1-5/8 long tube headers, 727, 3.23 gears, and 27" tires

The intake manifolds we have available are a stock cast iron 360 4bbl and Edelbrock performer RPM and the carburetors we have on hand are a Holley 80457 600VS and an old Holley 3310 750VS.

The truck is just a cruiser for my 65 yr old dad to putt around town running errands and getting his morning coffee.

Of the intake manifolds and carburetors we have, which ones would you choose for this combo?

First let me say that I agreed on the Edelbrock and 750 but...
For the stated intended purpose the iron and 600VS would be fine as well.
It would still be a healthy little sucker at sea level and get a little better fuel economy AND you can save the Eddie and 750 for your own car.:D

I think an old Edelbrock SP2P would be fantastic here.

I agree. Unfortunately, I have neither. Of what we have, what would you go with. We're sorta building this with spare parts for a beater pickup truck.

I would go with the performer RPM and the Holley 80457...

I think an old Edelbrock SP2P would be fantastic here.
I have an SP2P on a 318 with a cam and 600 cfm eddy carb and it falls flat on its face at 4,000 rpm. I bought the truck the way it is so I have no clue what cam is in it but it is definitely not stock. I would use either a Weiand Stealth or performer 318/360 on a mild build. The SP2P is more for a bone stock motor.

I have an SP2P on a 318 with a cam and 600 cfm eddy carb and it falls flat on its face at 4,000 rpm. I bought the truck the way it is so I have no clue what cam is in it but it is definitely not stock. I would use either a Weiand Stealth or performer 318/360 on a mild build. The SP2P is more for a bone stock motor.

As it is intended design. He will have more of a bone stock motor. 8.6:1 and a 256 cam. A Stealth?Really? Talk about a wasted intake. The engine itself will fall flat a little over 4K, so the SP2P is a match. But it will have tons of bottom end torque before it gets there. PERFECT truck engine.

As it is intended design. He will have more of a bone stock motor. 8.6:1 and a 256 cam. A Stealth?Really? Talk about a wasted intake. The engine itself will fall flat a little over 4K, so the SP2P is a match. But it will have tons of bottom end torque before it gets there. PERFECT truck engine.
I did not look up the cam specs, I thought it would be a fair bit bigger than stock but I will take your word for it. I know the cam in my 68 D100 is not a good match for that intake.

Last edited:

Yep, the SP2P has lots of low and mid range grunt - great for a truck...

Factory iron and 600 CFM!!!

Save the other stuff for something fun, healthy, powerful, fast!

Factory iron and 600 CFM!!!

Save the other stuff for something fun, healthy, powerful, fast!
I have a factory 66 273 commando intake I want to try on the 318 in my truck. If I don't like it I will swap in a smaller cam and put the SP2P back on. The D100 has a granny gear NP trans.

I have a factory 66 273 commando intake I want to try on the 318 in my truck. If I don't like it I will swap in a smaller cam and put the SP2P back on. The D100 has a granny gear NP trans.
Why was I quoted?

Thanks for the input guys. My dad's pretty stoked about this little 360. It's too bad I couldn't talk him into a 4" arm.

Ahhhh, when you do a 4 inch arm, take him for a drive!

Ahhhh, when you do a 4 inch arm, take him for a drive!

I agree! Though, he'll be more than happy with the stock-ish low-buck 360 considering the truck has a worn out 318 2bbl in it now.

Shoot, last time I was up at his house a month ago, I installed electronic ignition with some spare parts I had and gave it a bunch more initial timing. Woke the thing right up. When he test drove it and barked the tires leaving the house, he had a pretty big grin on his old face. Can't wait to see the grin when the 360 fires up. Even if it's a low compression beater motor.

Thanks again for the input. There's nothing like putting a motor together with spare parts.

So whats the plan ?

We'll probably go with the Edelbrock RPM because it's already cleaned up, and I don't foresee having a a need for it in the near future seeing as how I'll be building a big block next for my 66 Dart.

And for now, we'll probably stick the 80457 600VS deal on it because it has an electric choke and he lives in a cooler climate. The engine will likely never see 5000rpm, so the 600 will be fine. Hell, when I was in high school, I had an 1850 on my 408 Duster and ran 12.70s with stock converter and 3.23 one leggers. lol

Ede and 600 would work well. Watch the metering on that 600, sometimes they are whacked out. The 3310 would likely be better right away from an overall metering standpoint.

The iron is probably a spreadbore

-
Back