Which Carter 2BBL is this?

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
My Carter 2 BBL on my "C" body 383 needs a rebuild. Does anyone know what the part # for this 2 BBL this is? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCI0032.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCI0033.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCI0034.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCI0035.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCI0036.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 410
Good grief, buddy the TAG is right there in the photo. That is all you need.

Looks like a Carter BBD to me. The Holleys looked very similar, but the fuel inlet was higher, and on the top cover

Good grief, buddy the TAG is right there in the photo. That is all you need.

Looks like a Carter BBD to me. The Holleys looked very similar, but the fuel inlet was higher, and on the top cover
If this was directed at me, I am very aware that the TAG is there. BUT all there is on the tag are numbers and none of these numbers have given me ANY information. That is why I put this post up asking for help.

That is the larger BBD. It has the larger air horn gasket found on 4 Bbl carbs (273/318 has small air horn).

Most certainly NOT a Stromberg or Holley (which came in 71 or so).

Great carb for what it was, and high performance is what it wasn't.

#### For Posterity this information not Correct ####
[ame]http://www.carbkitsource.com/manuals/instructions/tech/Stromberg/WW/StrombergWWC.pdf[/ame]

See manual above for Stromberg WWC.

Picture below for Carter BBD. ### for 1-1/4" version, HemiTM engine has 1 1/2" BBD ###

Both were used on 1966 383. A clue is the bowl vent location.

Attachments

• carterBBD-68Dodge.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 280
Then look at the pump linkage, fuel inlet location, choke linkage, etc.. in the above link to reinforce the fact that the carb pictured in the OP is ABSOLUTELY IN NO WAY A STROMBERG!!

Unless it's a Stromberg with the rare options of having "Carter" cast in the body and metering rods...

If this was directed at me, I am very aware that the TAG is there. BUT all there is on the tag are numbers and none of these numbers have given me ANY information. That is why I put this post up asking for help.

Well Al RIGHTY then. What ARE the tag numbers?

I sold auto parts "in a previous life" for over 15 years, and a tag number is all we ever needed if it was the original tag

http://www.carbkitsource.com/manuals/instructions/tech/Stromberg/WW/StrombergWWC.pdf

See manual above for Stromberg WWC.

Picture below for Carter BBD.

Both were used on 1966 383. A clue is the bowl vent location.

This is NOT a Stromberg, although both Holley and Stromberg made similar carbs, made for the same general configuration, which take a second or third glance to tell the difference.

The BBD you pictured is the SMALLER BBD, what amounts to a completely different carbureter

Taken from the 69 shop manual:

IMPORTANT the tag numbers mentioned appear on the tag, and are ONLY for the models specific to this 69 manual. Depending on what year/ model your car is, the tag number will be different, BUT IT still should be a 4 digit number followed by "S"

Attachments

• bbd1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 264
  • bbd3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 350
KIt, you were not wrong, Carter calls BOTH the large and small bore Carters a BBD. I can certainly see the confusion here, the Carter, Holley and Stromberg all look very very similar.

Hell I just looked it up in th shop manual. It's been years since I had my hands on a big bore BBD

I sent the carb to CARB-X today to be rebuilt. When Dan calls me, I will ask him exactly what it is and post the verdict.

-
Back