Which cylinder heads do you recommend?

-

buffoni88

Reaction score
Here's my situation: My cylinder heads were stripped out where the intake bolts into, so I heli-coiled it myself, didn't drill straight, now it's not sitting right and I have a vacuum leak. It was a pain in the a_ _ to get it lined up just enough to even get it on, and now it's still just as bad. How difficult is this job for a somewhat-newbie? I'm not looking for anything crazy, even just stock replacements with some good threads. Any/all recommendations and advice are welcome

Aerohead has some stock rebuilt heads for I think $399. Of course you can go out to one of the local junk yards and grab a set of heads and install them. You can also take your heads off and take them to a machne shop and have the heads repaired, rethreaded. Of course you could go with the new RHS heads from Indio Motor Machine (member OU812) if money isn't an issue.

Did you drill it with the head still on?? what kind of shape are the heads in otherwise?? you will have to take them off, if it were me I would take it to a machine shop and have the heli coils installed by them, that would maybe be the cheapest, if you get heads out of the junkyard you should have them checked for cracks, your's could be cracked for that matter, no simple solution. it really depends on how much you want to spend. I am sure someone else will chime in.....heres the link to Aerohead: http://www.aeroheadracing.com/id6.html

318 1968-1987 318 A-Engine Heads, 1.88X1.60 Stainless Valves, 67-70cc Open Chamber Design, .509" Lift Springs $399.00
pair

I think I'm just going to order those aeroheads. I left the heads on when I drilled. I know, it was stupid. I always try to.find the quickest way to do things, which is obviously a mistake. This will now be the fifth time removing the manifold. How big of a task is it to remove and install the heads assuming they come assembled?

I think I'm just going to order those aeroheads. I left the heads on when I drilled. I know, it was stupid. I always try to.find the quickest way to do things, which is obviously a mistake. This will now be the fifth time removing the manifold. How big of a task is it to remove and install the heads assuming they come assembled?

No big deal, but you will definitely need a torque wrench to do the job right. Also, make sure you know the pattern to torque the head bolts/studs. I don't know what you've done before so forgive me if I'm telling things you already know.
It's a cleaner job if you can also drain coolant from your block, not just your radiator. Otherwise you will get coolant all over the floor when you pull your heads.
Oh yeah, I also make sure the pushrods are re-installed on the same lifter they came off of. Not super important, but that's just what I do.
Just take your time and do it once. Remember...if you have time to do it over, then you had time to do it right the first time.

Thank you ocdart and others for your advice. I WILL do it right this time. I have the service manual, and all torque patterns and values, and a torque wrench. Funny cause I'm in the air force, aircraft mechanic, and we have to follow tech data to the t. You'd think I'd learn by now that its there for a Damn reason!

I just talked to a place here in town, he said he could order me some reman heads, fully assembled, and oem spec, for $175 a piece, much better than I thought. I'm also going to have them install everything, I'm done trying to figure this out on my own! If I wasn't going to depend on this car for a daily, I would keep trying. Maybe I should go look for a little beater this week! Thanks again for the advice

Wish I'd known you'd be needing these; I junked a set of working 360 heads which came off my 340 a few weeks back because no one wanted them.
This will teach me to save parts.

If I had seen the post, I would have jumped all over it!! Ok so question: I'm still new to this. Will 340 heads fit right on the 318 with the mopar valve covers? How much better performance will I get? I've read forums of people putting them on like that, but I'm hesitant due to lack of knowledge, so I figured just go stock and drive it. I don't want anything crazy, but if I'm head to head with a ricer or someone that thinks their car is the ish, I don't want to get burnt by them!

WOW. Just got off the phone with the shop. They want $675 Just to install the new heads and intake, and that's just labor. He said a couple hundred worth of gaskets on top of that (REALLY??). So, needless to say, I'm going to be in the garage wrenching again. I still need a new pair of heads though!

Depending on the labor rate, that's about right. That's not even 8hrs worth of time at my old shop's rate. It's robbery on the gaskets if that was just for the gaskets. But if he meant all the materials, that's close to right for retail too. You have oil, filter, antifreeze, misc clamps, shop supplies, and fresh plugs in addition to the head set (all the gaskets for the work) too.
BTW, you were careful to not let ANY of the debris from drilling/tapping get into the engine... Right?

I have a good friend in Milledgeville who is a big Mopar racer and owns a transmission shop. That would be pretty local to you if he has a good set. Would you like me to find out?

I have a good friend in Milledgeville who is a big Mopar racer and owns a transmission shop. That would be pretty local to you if he has a good set. Would you like me to find out?

Yes, if you don't mind, that'd be great. I'm going to do this one more time tomorrow night, we'll see what happens. I think I've got the holes aligned a little bit better this time, and I SHOULD be able to create a better seal. In the meantime, if you could find out for me I'd really appreciate it. I was actually referred to talk to you tonight by Cal, we've been chatting a bit on the phone, great guy! Anyway, let me know what you find out, so I have something lined up in case I fail again (knock on wood).

Any word on this? I'm not even going to try to mount this intake the way it's sitting. Not trying to ghetto-rig my vehicle! I just want to replace the heads with something in good condition, assembled. If you could ask him, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

Any word on this? I'm not even going to try to mount this intake the way it's sitting. Not trying to ghetto-rig my vehicle! I just want to replace the heads with something in good condition, assembled. If you could ask him, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

I'm gonna be taking my heads off next month there stock 318 heads with new valves, seats, machine work I spent about 400$ on them and they have about 4000 miles on them I'm putting some 302 heads on

I have a pair of 302-casting heads I'd sell you for $150 each. They have Comp 901 springs installed and only have around 5000 miles on them; I bought them a couple years ago as remanufactured from Clearwater Cylinder Head.

-
Back