Which distributor for 408 stroker?

-

Idaho

Reaction score
I have a mopar one with tag 4145753. But its got dual pickups which seems odd. Google says its mid 80s vintage. Its so rusty I'd rather not use it anyway.
I know there are a few variants with different curves etc but not sure how to choose.
I plan to get one with vacuum advance, not sure it will be used but just in case.

The aftermarket cheap ones I'm just not sure on the quality. I'm not into spending bucks for name brands either. Brand names don't give me warm fuzzies. Not even mopar LOL.

I'm planning either a GM type HEI conversion or using the chrome box.
I like the GM idea except it seems a little messy under the hood.
I'll also want a rev limiter, likely the Pertronix add on box.

I'd hold up a bit before you ditch that distributor. I'm not up to speed on all those DC/MP part numbers, but I'm going to look that one up and see what it is.

Some of those distributors are really good pieces.

Hopefully halifaxhops and Mattax see this, as I'm sure they can fix where I'm wrong.

Also, at this time, I would NOT suggest a Pertronix anything.

Just rebuild and recurve a stock one.
Various vacuum pods are still available new with a range of degrees of advance and starting points.

Order a 4 Seconds flat advance limiter plate so you can get it dialed in. Maybe a set of their springs while you are at it. .

I'd hold up a bit before you ditch that distributor. I'm not up to speed on all those DC/MP part numbers, but I'm going to look that one up and see what it is.

Some of those distributors are really good pieces.

Hopefully halifaxhops and Mattax see this, as I'm sure they can fix where I'm wrong.

Also, at this time, I would NOT suggest a Pertronix anything.

I also have a 76 military 3/4 ton with 318, (30,000 miles) that I could scavenge from if that's a good choice.
I'll bump this until they see it :)

Just rebuild and recurve a stock one.
Various vacuum pods are still available new with a range of degrees of advance and starting points.

Order a 4 Seconds flat advance limiter plate so you can get it dialed in. Maybe a set of their springs while you are at it. .

701BEB63-2ADA-43E3-82D2-C4F0FEA8860E.jpeg

I think I'd have to replace all the rusty parts!

4Secondsflat also sell a control boxwith limiter that you can use with a stock wiring harness.

I intend to learn how to set it up myself, so adjustability is important.
I see factory Chrysler units, and mopar performance units. Same thing?

I'll check out the 4secondsflat rev limiter.
Is Pertronix having issues?

Looking at the GM style distributor. Big but actually clean with ECU and coil in distributor.
Wouldn't be a big deal to me to do a tidy firewall mod.
Thoughts?

I have a mopar one with tag 4145753. But its got dual pickups which seems odd. Google says its mid 80s vintage. Its so rusty I'd rather not use it anyway.
I know there are a few variants with different curves etc but not sure how to choose.
I plan to get one with vacuum advance, not sure it will be used but just in case.

The aftermarket cheap ones I'm just not sure on the quality. I'm not into spending bucks for name brands either. Brand names don't give me warm fuzzies. Not even mopar LOL.

I'm planning either a GM type HEI conversion or using the chrome box.
OK here it is no matter if you spend $50 or $500 it depends if it has the proper curve for your motor. Not doing a plug here guys. Ask the distributor distributor (that's funny) what the curve is My money is silence on the phone. The after market hit full fast

OK here it is no matter if you spend $50 or $500 it depends if it has the proper curve for your motor. Not doing a plug here guys. Ask the distributor distributor (that's funny) what the curve is My money is silence on the phone. The after market hit full fast

Is that a lean burn distributor?? I'm asking because some of that OE stuff is way outside my wheel house.

I'm busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest, but I want to research that distributor later today.

4Secondsflat also sell a control boxwith limiter that you can use with a stock wiring harness.

I must be getting old or short. That pretty much went right over my head.

Is that a lean burn distributor?? I'm asking because some of that OE stuff is way outside my wheel house.

I'm busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest, but I want to research that distributor later today.

Here's one from an 83 Cordoba.
I appreciate the help but I think I'll be buying something. Lots of options. Too many.

distributor.png

@halifaxhops is saying (my assumption here but he can correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't matter if the distributor is 50 or 500 bucks if the curve isn't correct for your application. And that's the straight truth.
So he's saying ask the sellers which is right? Hmmm.
Last time I spoke to Summit their info was crap.
I bet Trailbeast knows.

So he's saying ask the sellers which is right? Hmmm.
Last time I spoke to Summit their info was crap.
I bet Trailbeast knows.

I'd say a known good OE Chrysler distributor is hard to beat. I prefer the Mallory stuff from the aftermarket, but not the JUNK that MSD is now palming off as Mallory.

Whatever you buy it's most likely going to need to be recurved. Never underestimate a Ching chow distributor. I know for a fact a member here has one and it's never failed him when others have.

I've had pretty good performance from my MSD distributor and 6AL... The six Al has a built in adjustable rev limiter and the distributor is fully tunable, with very simple instructions and graphs... You paid the money for the stroker...

Trail beast stuff is great, msd is good. I am a numbers guy so nothing here.
I have a mopar one with tag 4145753. But its got dual pickups which seems odd. Google says its mid 80s vintage. Its so rusty I'd rather not use it anyway. Don't it is for the lean burn system you want a single pick up.

The aftermarket cheap ones I'm just not sure on the quality. I'm not into spending bucks for name brands either. Brand names don't give me warm fuzzies. Not even mopar LOL. Stay away from the cheap one wire ones the will only burn out

I'm planning either a GM type HEI conversion or using the chrome box. Steve Holts is doing GM 4 pins in mopar boxes soon. Just a option.
The Petronix III is adjustable rev limiter built in and clean install.

You can also use a Mopar distrib set up with the right curve for the motor and use a gm HEI is a good combo also. Newer MP are adjustable just like the Malloriy's and easy to curve also. Tons of options out there figure out the curve you will want and go from there.

Hope it helps.

The OE dual pick up isn’t what most guys here want to use. I have seen crafty people used them in interesting ways with a much higher build than what most of us normal guys do. In my the same manor as to why the factory had dual pick ups, 1 for start, the other for run, and there use with programmable ignitions/computers, it was a slick move on there behalf.

But for us regular guys, a basic distributor is all you need. It just needs to be tinkered with. The FBO limited plate is IMO and excellent idea. Add in a good ignition box and coil. You’ll be just fine. Ether the dyno or track will tell you which way to go. 1 change at a time!

Mopar Performance Distributor SB V8 273 318 340 360 | eBay

Almost fooled by this. It’s a Proform “licensed” by Mopar.
I've had pretty good performance from my MSD distributor and 6AL... The six Al has a built in adjustable rev limiter and the distributor is fully tunable, with very simple instructions and graphs... You paid the money for the stroker...
I look for value in every purchase. I don’t doubt MSD can work fine. Twice the price. I kinda doubt there’s double the value. If I believed it I’d pay.
I might undervalue my time in figuring it out but I’m wired that way. If I can I’ll build it to save cash. And enjoy doing it.

I decided to check out the distrubutor in the military 3/4 T and was surprised. It's sat so long but inside the cap is rust free, looks quite new.
This truck only shows 30k so it should have little wear.
I found an article posted by Abodyjoe that will get me started with it. It's info I need regardless. Wish it had pics but I can likely google some up.

Sounds like I'll need lighter springs. The article mentions GM light springs. Specifics would help.
Also might make sense to get the plate for selecting total timing. Any other parts to suggest?

Good kit ONLY for Mallory or later MP distribs. Look in the oval hole and see if it has a torx screw on a slot then you can use that. And yes if it is one of those no late needed. Have a pic from the to of the distrib looking in?

Thanks. I'll get a pic this evening.

-
Back