MP Distributor Tuning Tutorial

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score

I've had some time on my hands lately so I thought I'd put the tune on my engine. I'm not a "set it and forget it" type of guy as I always believe that I can get more power and/or better driveability out of my street builds. Strange as it may sound, tuning for the street is much harder than tuning for the strip as the engine must perform reliably in all temperatures, conditions, and throttle openings. There's nothing more embarassing than an engine that gasps and dies when the light turns green or rattles bad on the entrance ramp.

By running a timing loop, I found that my engine likes 16 degrees of initial advance and 32 degrees of total timing, all in by 2500 rpm and no vacuum advance. I came to this conclusion by starting at 10 degrees inital, adjusting the idle mixture to highest vacuum and going for a low rpm (under 2500 rpm) city cruise. I would take note of off-idle performance and engine temp, then add 2 degrees of timing and repeat. My MP distributor out the box delivered a total of 28 degrees of mechanical advance with 24 of it being all in at 2500 rpm on the light centrifugal advance spring and another 4 coming in progessively to about 4000 rpm on the heavy spring as witnessed by my Snap-On digital dialback timing light. This is a problem. If I set my initial timing to 16 degrees, I now have 42 degrees of total timing. Not cool.

Next, I pulled my inital back until I was at 30 degrees total and went and did some full throttle runs and also took note of engine temp and any detonation around the torque peak (3000-4000 rpm in my case) where cylinder pressure is highest. Keep in mind that I was already close on my jetting (74's all around on my Holley 650 dbl pmpr) but some tweaking will be necessary once the timing is spot on. It doesn't hurt to keep a notebook on where you are and where you've been in this process in case you get interrupted to get a gallon of milk, lol. Ideally, this could done on a dyno but I don't have one and niether do most people. A dyno won't tell you how stable your idle is in gear at a stoplight either.

"Ok man, I've got my numbers but how do I adjust my Mopar Performance distributor so it all works? I don't have a distributor machine in my garage." Glad you asked, lol. I don't have a distributor machine either but I do have a degree wheel.

I removed the distributor from the engine and mounted it in a vise with rag. Rubber or plastic jawed vises are ideal as you don't want to mar up that spendy distributor. Remove the cap, rotor and the vacuum advance unit. The unit is held in by two screws so remove the screws and remove the arm from the vacuum advance plate. This is done by gently prying up on the plate while simultaneously pushing down on the vacuum advance arm pin that rests in the plate. It's a little tricky but no big deal. Once the canister is free you need to bac off the pick up to prevent damage and remove the reluctor. This is done by using a 3/32 straight pin punch and tapping down the roll pin till it just bottoms out. At this point the reluctor can be gently pried up with two screwdrivers until it's free or by using a small two jaw puller. The reluctor has two roll pin holes, be sure you mark which one the roll pin was in. The correct hole on my reluctor was marked a directional arrow, but I can't gaurantee yours will be. Here you can see I used a drill bit to align the hole in the reluctor with the slot in the shaft during reassembly.

IMG_0424.jpg

Now that the reluctor is off, you can remove the vacuum advance plate and base as an assembly by removing two screws. Although it seems wordy, this entire process took me about 10 minutes. Some things are harder to describe than do, lol. Now you can see the mecanical advance mechanism in plain view. Note the two mechanical advance springs that I had mentioned earlier. One is obviously thicker and stiffer than the other and has larger "eyes" to delay when they come into effect. This is what gives the second "stage" or "dogleg" to the advance curve.

IMG_0423.jpg

Here's your two #15 Torx head screws that limit your mechanical advance. These MP distributors have a ton of adjustability and you can completely lock out the advance if you desire or even add more advance.

ScreenHunter_02Jul121933.jpg

At this point we need to get the distributor spring clamps out of the way so the degree wheel will sit flat. I just snapped in two large sockets on each side so the wheel has a flat stable surface to rest on.

IMG_0416.jpg

Drop the degree wheel over the shaft, pop the rotor on and tape a pointer to the rotor. I just used a ty-wrap for a pointer. I used an adjustable wrench to hold the flats on the bottom of the shaft and against the vise so it wouldn't budge, then I rotated the wheel so the pointer was at zero and while still holding the wrench so the shaft couldn't move, I twisted the rotor and read on the degree wheel the amount of advance. In my case it was 14 degrees. Remember that 14 distributor degrees is 28 crankshaft degrees. I want 16 intial and 32 total so 32 minus 16 equals 16. 16 divided by 2 equals 8. I need to limit my advance to 8 distributor degrees. I loosened the screws and adjusted until I could get only 8 degrees of advance and tightened the screws down securely.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Now we can reassemble the distributor by installing the pick-up and advance plate assembly. Don't forget to reset your reluctor to pick up gap to .008" with a brass feeler gauge.

IMG_0420.jpg

I accomplished the entire process from pulling the distributor to dropping it back in and setting and checking the timing once installed in about 1.5 hours. This could be done with the distibutor installed, but it's a pain in the butt to do this on a hot engine, constantly setting and resetting, banging your head on the hood, resting your hand on a hot header, buggering up the Torx screws, etc. A big block would be much easier to do installed as the dizzy's in the front.

I hope this helped someone and feel free to ask any questions.

Wow Joe you been busy!

I'll read it more in depth tomorrow got to get to bed tonight but it looks very interesting.

pretty good writeup. You haven't gotten into the speed of the curve yet. I've only worked with the small block distributors with the stock advance mechanism. I will make a few suggestions, some of which are only relevant to the factory style advance mechanism.

First thing is that I never worry to drive out the roll pin first. Its used like a keyway on on the shaft, which fits in a slot underneath the step. Therefore, its fit on the shaft is not an issue if you lift it up. I use two large screwdrivers and pry straight up without disturbing the pickup. You pry from both sides evenly and its easy. That alone will save you time.

Then, i pull the advance mechanism out by removing the two screws then separating the pickup plate a bit until it comes out. easy. next thing is to take the other screws out and remove the mounting plate.

The length of the slot determines the total advance. So on the MP distributor if you know the length of the slot and the distributor degrees that it did before (as a result of your dial back light), you can create a ratio for what you have and what you're looking for and cross multiply. On the stock distributor you have to subtract the diameter of the pins before you make your ratio. On the stock distributor, you have to weld and file it to the right length...still not bad.

I've found you want to have total timing come in by 2400rpm and start around 1100-1200rpm. On my distributor I have ONE light spring with a coil removed. Now she runs great...15 inital and 35 total without the vacuum can hooked up.

pretty good writeup. You haven't gotten into the speed of the curve yet.

Thanks and you are right, I didn't mention the speed of the curve yet but was hoping someone would bring it up. :) The heavier of the two springs now does nothing because the movement of the weights is restricted below the point where heavier spring with the larger "eye" would take effect. With that being said, the smaller spring is the only one that does anything and this is good. Advance starts at 1400 rpm and progressively increases until 2500 rpm. It's perfect for my application but MP offers a spring kit for their dizzys if a different curve is required.

I've only worked with the small block distributors with the stock advance mechanism. I will make a few suggestions, some of which are only relevant to the factory style advance mechanism.

First thing is that I never worry to drive out the roll pin first. Its used like a keyway on on the shaft, which fits in a slot underneath the step. Therefore, its fit on the shaft is not an issue if you lift it up. I use two large screwdrivers and pry straight up without disturbing the pickup. You pry from both sides evenly and its easy. That alone will save you time.

Yep, the MP is different in that it doesn't use a horseshoe clip to hold the reluctor down like a stock dizzy. A couple of taps with a light ball peen to drive the pin down helps to reduce the force needed to remove the reluctor and prevent galling of the MP's brass shaft. I did mention the screwdriver method. :)

Then, i pull the advance mechanism out by removing the two screws then separating the pickup plate a bit until it comes out. easy. next thing is to take the other screws out and remove the mounting plate.

Yes, MP and stock dizzy's are identical in regards to getting the advance arm out.

The length of the slot determines the total advance. So on the MP distributor if you know the length of the slot and the distributor degrees that it did before (as a result of your dial back light), you can create a ratio for what you have and what you're looking for and cross multiply. On the stock distributor you have to subtract the diameter of the pins before you make your ratio. On the stock distributor, you have to weld and file it to the right length...still not bad.

Here is where the MP and stock style differ. The advance mechanism is entirely different and no slots are used on the weights. I have some photos of a stock dizzy build but the springs were too light for my application and advance came in way too soon (800 rpm). I too welded up the slots but used the degree wheel method for verification when it was completed. I'll post up that build at a later date. 8)

I've found you want to have total timing come in by 2400rpm and start around 1100-1200rpm. On my distributor I have ONE light spring with a coil removed. Now she runs great...15 inital and 35 total without the vacuum can hooked up.

Yep, only one spring is active as I mentioned before but the curve is just a bit different then the one you described. Everyone's build will be will have different requirements due to to compression, cam, carb, intake, gearing, converter stall, tire size, cylinder head/piston quench, etc. My numbers are just what work for me and most certainly will be different for everyone and are not really meant as a suggestion but as a constant for illustration purposes.

Thank you for your input as it is greatly appreciated!

can you post the part number for that distributor? i want to pick one up

The mechanism in the MP distributor is made by Mallory and Mallory sells a kit for setting up the distributor #29014 available from Summit or Jegs.

It has spacers in 2 degree increments for setting the stops and a selection of springs with the advance cure the springs and combination of springs produce. Will take that 1.5 hours down to about 15 minutes.

FYI, if you get the billet MP distributor without the vacuum advance you don't need to remove the reluctor or pickup plate.

Just curious, how do the stops work? The MP dizzy I have could only be adjusted via the torx screws.

i bought the unilite because all the descriptions of this MP distributor fail to mention the mech adv is adjustable. I would have bought this one instead of the $270 unilite.

anyways, the torx screws allows you to change the amount of mechanical advanced. you loosen them and you can use the mallory spacers to set the slot size. the length of the slots is like the slot in the old mechanical adv plate. bigger gets you more mech adv. shorter gives you less. it works really well. i love the unilite for this feature but i hate the LED in the unilite. id rather have the reluctor and magnetic pickup

Just curious, how do the stops work? The MP dizzy I have could only be adjusted via the torx screws.

If you look at the pictures above there is a hole/slot with a tab sticking up through it. At the opposite end from the tab and barely visible is the edge of the stop. The torx screw threads into the stop and locks it in place. When you loosen the torx screw and slide it back and forth the stop reduces/increases the length of the slot.

The tuning kit spacers stick into the slot and you loosen the torx screw and slide the stop up against the spacer and tighten the screw to lock it inplace. Much easier than messing with a degree wheel or using trial and error. Plus the springs let you dial in the rate. As you reduce the amount of advance in the distributor so you can run more initial you need to go to a stiffer spring to have all the timing in at the same rpm.

i bought the unilite because all the descriptions of this MP distributor fail to mention the mech adv is adjustable. I would have bought this one instead of the $270 unilite.

Why they don't mention that the mechanical advance is adjustable is beyond me. Maybe it's a secret?

i love the unilite for this feature but i hate the LED in the unilite. id rather have the reluctor and magnetic pickup

I'm not a big fan of the optical pickups either. Mallory does make a magnetic trigger dizzy.

If you look at the pictures above there is a hole/slot with a tab sticking up through it. At the opposite end from the tab and barely visible is the edge of the stop. The torx screw threads into the stop and locks it in place. When you loosen the torx screw and slide it back and forth the stop reduces/increases the length of the slot.

The tuning kit spacers stick into the slot and you loosen the torx screw and slide the stop up against the spacer and tighten the screw to lock it inplace. Much easier than messing with a degree wheel or using trial and error. Plus the springs let you dial in the rate. As you reduce the amount of advance in the distributor so you can run more initial you need to go to a stiffer spring to have all the timing in at the same rpm.

That would be much easier, no doubt and the springs are most certainly handy. Keep in mind that the 1.5 hour figure includes figuring this out, some of the write up and taking all the pics too. No trial and error involved with the degree wheel. What it indicates is what you get.

I see your point in theory in regards to going with a stiffer spring, but for some reason, I saw no change as to when the total came in (2500 rpm).

I had never though of using a degree wheel mainly because of the size. But before I had purchased one of the MP distributors I used to weld slots on stock distributors and I used a protractor I picked up at the stationary store glued to an old rotor with a piece of coat hanger taped to the housing as a pointer.

I had never though of using a degree wheel mainly because of the size. But before I had purchased one of the MP distributors I used to weld slots on stock distributors and I used a protractor I picked up at the stationary store glued to an old rotor with a piece of coat hanger taped to the housing as a pointer.

Yep! That'll work too!

great info. I was fighting to get 35 degrees total for my Hemi and still have it start. Been stuck @33 total. Ordered the spring kit which now has a Summit part number #SUM 850535. The Mallory kit has been discontinued.

weather warming up...can't wait to add the extra / needed 2 degrees of total. I kept the compression reasonable for the street (10.5 to 1) to be able to give it timing without detonation on pump gas....(JMHO) without timing they are all noise/ no power.

I've had some time on my hands lately so I thought I'd put the tune on my engine. I'm not a "set it and forget it" type of guy as I always believe that I can get more power and/or better driveability out of my street builds. Strange as it may sound, tuning for the street is much harder than tuning for the strip as the engine must perform reliably in all temperatures, conditions, and throttle openings. There's nothing more embarassing than an engine that gasps and dies when the light turns green or rattles bad on the entrance ramp.

By running a timing loop, I found that my engine likes 16 degrees of initial advance and 32 degrees of total timing, all in by 2500 rpm and no vacuum advance. I came to this conclusion by starting at 10 degrees inital, adjusting the idle mixture to highest vacuum and going for a low rpm (under 2500 rpm) city cruise. I would take note of off-idle performance and engine temp, then add 2 degrees of timing and repeat. My MP distributor out the box delivered a total of 28 degrees of mechanical advance with 24 of it being all in at 2500 rpm on the light centrifugal advance spring and another 4 coming in progessively to about 4000 rpm on the heavy spring as witnessed by my Snap-On digital dialback timing light. This is a problem. If I set my initial timing to 16 degrees, I now have 42 degrees of total timing. Not cool.

Next, I pulled my inital back until I was at 30 degrees total and went and did some full throttle runs and also took note of engine temp and any detonation around the torque peak (3000-4000 rpm in my case) where cylinder pressure is highest. Keep in mind that I was already close on my jetting (74's all around on my Holley 650 dbl pmpr) but some tweaking will be necessary once the timing is spot on. It doesn't hurt to keep a notebook on where you are and where you've been in this process in case you get interrupted to get a gallon of milk, lol. Ideally, this could done on a dyno but I don't have one and niether do most people. A dyno won't tell you how stable your idle is in gear at a stoplight either.

"Ok man, I've got my numbers but how do I adjust my Mopar Performance distributor so it all works? I don't have a distributor machine in my garage." Glad you asked, lol. I don't have a distributor machine either but I do have a degree wheel.

I removed the distributor from the engine and mounted it in a vise with rag. Rubber or plastic jawed vises are ideal as you don't want to mar up that spendy distributor. Remove the cap, rotor and the vacuum advance unit. The unit is held in by two screws so remove the screws and remove the arm from the vacuum advance plate. This is done by gently prying up on the plate while simultaneously pushing down on the vacuum advance arm pin that rests in the plate. It's a little tricky but no big deal. Once the canister is free you need to bac off the pick up to prevent damage and remove the reluctor. This is done by using a 3/32 straight pin punch and tapping down the roll pin till it just bottoms out. At this point the reluctor can be gently pried up with two screwdrivers until it's free or by using a small two jaw puller. The reluctor has two roll pin holes, be sure you mark which one the roll pin was in. The correct hole on my reluctor was marked a directional arrow, but I can't gaurantee yours will be. Here you can see I used a drill bit to align the hole in the reluctor with the slot in the shaft during reassembly.

View attachment 1715278897

Now that the reluctor is off, you can remove the vacuum advance plate and base as an assembly by removing two screws. Although it seems wordy, this entire process took me about 10 minutes. Some things are harder to describe than do, lol. Now you can see the mecanical advance mechanism in plain view. Note the two mechanical advance springs that I had mentioned earlier. One is obviously thicker and stiffer than the other and has larger "eyes" to delay when they come into effect. This is what gives the second "stage" or "dogleg" to the advance curve.

View attachment 1715278898

Here's your two #15 Torx head screws that limit your mechanical advance. These MP distributors have a ton of adjustability and you can completely lock out the advance if you desire or even add more advance.

View attachment 1715278899

At this point we need to get the distributor spring clamps out of the way so the degree wheel will sit flat. I just snapped in two large sockets on each side so the wheel has a flat stable surface to rest on.

View attachment 1715278900

Drop the degree wheel over the shaft, pop the rotor on and tape a pointer to the rotor. I just used a ty-wrap for a pointer. I used an adjustable wrench to hold the flats on the bottom of the shaft and against the vise so it wouldn't budge, then I rotated the wheel so the pointer was at zero and while still holding the wrench so the shaft couldn't move, I twisted the rotor and read on the degree wheel the amount of advance. In my case it was 14 degrees. Remember that 14 distributor degrees is 28 crankshaft degrees. I want 16 intial and 32 total so 32 minus 16 equals 16. 16 divided by 2 equals 8. I need to limit my advance to 8 distributor degrees. I loosened the screws and adjusted until I could get only 8 degrees of advance and tightened the screws down securely.

View attachment 1715278901
View attachment 1715278902

Now we can reassemble the distributor by installing the pick-up and advance plate assembly. Don't forget to reset your reluctor to pick up gap to .008" with a brass feeler gauge.

View attachment 1715278903

I accomplished the entire process from pulling the distributor to dropping it back in and setting and checking the timing once installed in about 1.5 hours. This could be done with the distibutor installed, but it's a pain in the butt to do this on a hot engine, constantly setting and resetting, banging your head on the hood, resting your hand on a hot header, buggering up the Torx screws, etc. A big block would be much easier to do installed as the dizzy's in the front.

I hope this helped someone and feel free to ask any questions.

I didn't read all of this right now because I'm about to leave but your testing is about as good as it gets. My only question is what ignition box are you using? It makes a difference. Every single ignition box of any brand has a slew rate and they all don't have the same slew rate.

That slew rate will retard the timing up to 2 degrees per 1000 RPM and you can't see that with a timing light.

YR. This is a dead thread revival. OP hasn't been on site in over 5 years!
FWIW that's a Mallory advance mechanism, so that's double trouble when coupled with slew rate of a slow ECU.

YR. This is a dead thread revival. OP hasn't been on site in over 5 years!
FWIW that's a Mallory advance mechanism, so that's double trouble when coupled with slew rate of a slow ECU.

Hmmmmm. I've got to get my machine up and running to test all this. I didn't see how old the thread was!!! Haven't been around much so I'm trying o catch up when I can.

-
Back