Which do you prefer on a stock 170? Carter or Holley 1920?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've got a stock 65 Valiant with a stock 1966 170. It had a 1962 Holley 1bbl on it when I got it. It does ok but the carb is needing to be replaced. What's the best running carb on one of these Slant Sixes the Holley 1920 or the Carter BBS? I'm not looking to try and gain HP but according to my 65 Plymouth Service catalog the 225HP Automatic non-a/c used a R-3058 with the 1 11/16 bore and flowed 235CFM. What about the Carter? What's it rating? Is it as easy to rebuild as the Holley 1920?

In 1965, the Valiant slant six got several different possible carb combos. Basically the 170 standard shift got a smaller carb (Holley or Carter) then the 225 (standard and auto), and the 170 auto, which all got the larger carb. I ran a 65 Valiant 170 auto, in NHRA stock eliminator back in the mid '70's, and tried several carbs. The large Holley made the most power. I cannot comment on which would be better for economy

Which one would flow more air? I see that the Carter is more readily available from parts warehouses than the Holley 1920. I've got one that was on the engine when I got it that crossed to a year of 1962. It didn't have the vacuum spring staged choke pulloff on it like the rebuilt one I got from Advance. I had the restrictive original 170 air cleaner on mine which I changed over to one from a 66 225 which seems to have a bigger opening because it doesn't sit centered on the carb throat. I was told when I bought that air cleaner it was from a 66 Valiant with a 225 California. But it looks like it would flow more air because it's open on the bottom.

I don't know that any rod-throttle carb is easily available (what I think you have on 65 slant), though you might change to a 65 V-8 cable throttle to use later carbs. The Holley 1920 is great when it works, but too many have clogged metering blocks that aren't fixed when rebuilt. Some people know how to blow them out. The Carter BBS 1bbl is much simpler to rebuild correctly and adjust, since just like the extremely common BBD 2 bbl.

-
Back