Which ECU?

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
The (mopar chrome) ECU which came on my '68 Barracuda 340 has leaked a semi-hard mollasses like substance.
Assume it is time for new one.
It is a 5 pin unit, but when I looked for one on web only saw 4 pin units.
Will a 4 pin work?
Is the "orange" box the correct one for my motor (stock original 340)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The 4 pin superceded the 5 pin.

Plug in the 4 pin and go. Put the 5 pin in the glove box as a spare.
The goop is a heat sink/insulator for the electronics.

It does matter how many pins. As yellowdartdave said, the 4 pin SUPERCEDED the 5 pin. That means the 4 replaces the 5. It does NOT mean "the other way around."

If you have the older 4 pin ballast resistor, you can use EITHER a 4 or 5 pin ECU

If you have the newer 2 pin ballast, you MUST use ONLY a 4 pin ECU

You can NOT tell a 4 from a 5 by looking, on some brands. Some 4 pin ECUs have the 5th pin in place. If you don't know, you must "ohm" the 5th pin with a meter to see if it's hooked to anything or just a dummy

Thanks!...where can I find best price on one?
Which one is correct for my car (orange, chrome, etc.)?

The orange ones are only good for 5500rpm ,rev over that a few times and it will soon be going out.

I have to agree - the quality of the orange units has dropped since the early 80's -

One US re-seller of "race" ignition components reckons they source the electronics from Taiwan and not Japan - hence the downgrade in quality.

.............I have been installing the orange box for 20 years and have yet to have a failure.........kim.........

thats just dumb luck.. i have had issues with them and countless friends have had issues with them. consider yourself lucky. :)

Actually, I don't use ANY Mopar ECUs. I've finally followed some and gone to a GM HEI. Simple hookup, no resistor needed, and small and cheap.

Only caveat is, MUST mount with proper heat sink and ground, and the two pickup connectors MUST be polarized correctly or timing/ dist. phasing will be incorrect.

don't use the orange one. pure junk.
I've heard lots of griping about the orange box, and sure enough, mine died after about 2 hours. I luckily had an original ECU from the early '70s, it's been working great for 2 years. Going to go HEI anyway, though.

Buy one from Don at 4secondsflat.com. Great products.

-
Back