Which engine 70 dart

-
I had a 69 valiant with a 225 slant six back in the mid 80's. It was my everyday driver, it would roast the back tires and had plenty of power, my intentions were to swap a V8 in it but I liked it so much I couldn't bring myself to do it. It was my first A body car. I traded it to a 72 340 cuda with a bad engine. I still miss that little car!

IMG_20190518_193731.JPG

I had a 69 valiant with a 225 slant six back in the mid 80's. It was my everyday driver, it would roast the back tires and had plenty of power, my intentions were to swap a V8 in it but I liked it so much I couldn't bring myself to do it. It was my first A body car. I traded it to a 72 340 cuda with a bad engine. I still miss that little car!

View attachment 1715389622

That was a cool little car. Looks like something @MOPAROFFICIAL would drive. lol

Anything bigger than a 360 in a streeter is overkill.
With 3.55s, I cannot even floor it in the first two gears without tirespin, all the way to 50/60 mph.And that is with big tires. If your car is tire room challenged, a hot 318 would be fine, or a small-cam warmed up340, or a stock Magnum 5.9.
For me, it has to be a V8; I just never could get used to the bland; thoop-thoop-thoop, slanty idle.

Matty if you need a cat for smell control IMO, yur tune is off, and the cat is not gonna last long.
I have had SBMs since I turned 17 in 1970,nearly five decades ago, and the only ones that smelled were the oil-burners. Even the 292/292/108 cam can be tuned to idle pretty smell-free in a tight engine, which is the hardest area to clean up. With a modest cam of say 220* and optimized Q/compression, your SBM at 700/750 rpm,should be stink-free out the tailpipe; and even 650 in Drive,lol.

Last edited:
I agree ...a small block will out perform anything else in every way in an A body on the street.
But.. the best engine for you is the one you want!

Last edited:
-
Back