Which Forged Stroker Crank?

-

Stos

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am putting together a 408 and im looking at forged cranks as i didnt want to chance a cast.

This engine will be running forged pistons with a total weight of 606g (less rings and locks) and H beam rods at 695g.

I am looking at using a Scat. I have seen they have different weight cranks and was wondering which would be more suitable.

I dont know if i could use a light or superlight crank as my stuff may be too heavy for this? I emailed Scat but have received no reply.
I would like to use one of the lightened cranks but want to avoid needing lots of Heavy Metal :supz:

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks guys

Yeah, your piston is heavy and so are your rods. A standard forged crank would probably need a few slugs of Mallory to balance it (but I'm not an expert).

What kind of power are you planning to make?

For what its worth, I used Scat I-beams (595 grams) and Diamond pistons (~500g) and my crank (forged Eagle crank) didn't need ANY heavy metal to balance it....but that is about 200g lighter that what you are going to use.

Im looking at around 580hp N/A with possible use of nos in future.

I have JE pistons 476g with 130g pin (i assume JE list these weights separately and need to be added together) and Eagle H Beams 695g

I am happy to use the standard weight if thats what is most appropriate.
I had just seen previous builds with light cranks and thought it might be worth looking into..

Thanks

Im looking at around 580hp N/A with possible use of nos in future.

I have JE pistons 476g with 130g pin (i assume JE list these weights separately and need to be added together) and Eagle H Beams 695g

I am happy to use the standard weight if thats what is most appropriate.
I had just seen previous builds with light cranks and thought it might be worth looking into..

Thanks

That's pretty much is what I run. Back in 2001 I went with a MP forged crank and it's been fine. I never looked into it but I was told that the MP cranks back then were made by Scat.

Hi All,

I am putting together a 408 and im looking at forged cranks as i didnt want to chance a cast.

This engine will be running forged pistons with a total weight of 606g (less rings and locks) and H beam rods at 695g.

I am looking at using a Scat. I have seen they have different weight cranks and was wondering which would be more suitable.

I dont know if i could use a light or superlight crank as my stuff may be too heavy for this? I emailed Scat but have received no reply.
I would like to use one of the lightened cranks but want to avoid needing lots of Heavy Metal :supz:

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks guys

to avoid using mallory metal use the lightest rod and piston/pin you can afford...the scat 4340 i beam weight in at 595 grams...

Thanks for the replys,

As I already have my pistons and rods ill most likely look at a standard weight crank.

I have looked at different manufacturers but my local speed shop deals in scat so its easier (and cheaper) to go there.

Plus they have the crank on shelf, the lightweight would be 10 weeks so thats a bonus. Also money saved on the crank can go to my machinist.

Sometimes its easy to get carried away, i have to remember this isnt a sprint cup engine hehe.

Thanks again guys.

-
Back