Which GPS?

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
My wife suffers from what I call "directional dyslexia" so I thought I'd pick up a GPS for her. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Garmin nuvi 1260T. I got one for the wife if I remember correctly it was about 129.00.

Very easy to use.

I have a Garmin dezl 560LMT in my big truck, of course it's designed for truckers and is quite a bit more at 400.00.

It's a good unit. It comes with a USB cable to update the mapping software. I think there is a charge for that, so you might see if there is a plan you can purchase with it for lifetime updates, it may be less expensive in the long run. It also comes with a suction sup mount and the power cord.

Garmin has better maps than magellan or tom tom. The tom tom I believe comes with lifetime updates and is extremely user friendly. The magellan is not as user friendly. I own a Garmin and the only problem I have is that I have to use my fingernail on the touchscreen because I have larger fingers and the resistive touchscreen will get confused by too much of the screen being touched.

Another option would be to get her an iphone or android and teach her how to use it because they have a pretty decent gps system.

I bought a Tom Tom at X-Mas time ,I paid about 80.00 for it with lifetime map updates.I love it,works great.................Jeff

This one has a 5" screen life time map updates (4 times a year) and traffic.

$129 at amazon. Look around you might find it cheaper. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZX8B2S/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_225210_23567670_pe_vfe_dt1"]Garmin nüvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates:Amazon:GPS & Navigation[/ame]

Garmin has been in the GPS business for many years longer than the "come latelies". I would opt for a Garmin before any other. I've owned many of them, and Garmin has always come out on top.

Garmin has better maps than magellan or tom tom. The tom tom I believe comes with lifetime updates and is extremely user friendly. The magellan is not as user friendly. I own a Garmin and the only problem I have is that I have to use my fingernail on the touchscreen because I have larger fingers and the resistive touchscreen will get confused by too much of the screen being touched.

Another option would be to get her an iphone or android and teach her how to use it because they have a pretty decent gps system.

I have the motion-x gps on my iPhone. Man does it kick ***. Was like $10 for it and $10 a year for voice guidance.

I have 2 TomToms and the MotionX on my iPhone. Both are equally good. Going the iPhone route it only down loads the maps necessary for the trip so you could if you deviate from your planned route and don't have phone coverage you could wind up without a map.

My brother has a Garmin and it is not as intuitive to use as the TomToms I have. Also, I forgot mine once when traveling and rented a Garmin and it's the only time that I actually found a mistake in the maps. It kept telling me to get off at an exit and when I did it would tell me I had gone the wrong way and couldn't recalculate an alternate route. Wound up asking for directions and once I took the correct exit everything was fine.

I suspect that no matter what brand you buy the map info all comes from the same place.

I suspect that no matter what brand you buy the map info all comes from the same place.

Was told a whil back that garmin did their own maps and Tom Tom used maps from map quest. Not sure how true it was but that's what I was told.

I haven't updated my maps in over 3 years and they are still pretty decent. The biggest glitch I found on my Garmin was it tried to send me the wrong way down a One-Way street. I think the street had been changed to One-Way though and my out of date map didn't know. If you waited until November, you could get a heck of a deal on Black Friday.

Well i have had to Magellan both worked well but sad to say my google phone works better
and makes phone calls.

If I remember right any Garmin with LM on the end means it has a free lifetime map upgrade.

hey, i do not know if you bought one yet, but i have the garmin nuvi with 4 inch screen. it is pretty basic, but gets the job done. i paid 129.99 for it, and i would let it go for 40 bucks.have the charger cord with it, but do not have the windsheild mount. let me know

I have a Garmin 7200 with the trucker updates for like scale houses,low bridges,etc. What I like most about mine is it is a 7 inch screen.

If I remember right any Garmin with LM on the end means it has a free lifetime map upgrade.

Pretty sure that is correct. And the "T" would be traffic.

Gotta watch some models share the same number but lack the Lmt. Ya look quick at it and it looks real cheap but in reality it doesn't have traffic or the map updated

Pretty sure that is correct. And the "T" would be traffic.

Gotta watch some models share the same number but lack the Lmt. Ya look quick at it and it looks real cheap but in reality it doesn't have traffic or the map updated
The last one we got from Costco has a lifetime map and traffic deal with it. Only thing I don't like about it is the occasional pop up ad, from what I understand you can turn the pop up off but then it also turns off the traffic updates.......I think. Some Garmins are known for the screen freezing. The one I have in my truck will freeze up every now & then doing a blue tooth firmware upgrade, even though it has not been hooked up to the internet in close to a year so I have no idea where it is getting it's upgrade from....

-
Back