Which Hood Scoop???

-
I'd say, run a satin black hood with a sixpack scoop on your '74. Here's a pic of my '70 with that combo.
DSC00004-1024x685.jpg

dupe posting deleted. Looking at your car again I am really glad that I picked this hood. Hope it looks as good on the fish as it does on your rod.

BTW, how was the fit on your hood? The website says they may need some trimming. Did you ise Dsus fastenerds in the middle to keep the hood flush with the fenders and eliminate buldge?
As I remember it didn't require any trimming but the scoop has to be cut open. I used the Dzus fasteners to hold the hood down while driving. The hood sat flat and didn't need to be pulled down.

Whichever scoop you decide on DON'T pop rivet it in. Put lots of fiberglass body fill on your hood and then set your scoop in it. Mine was done that way 32 years ago and no crack appeared yet, it never moved!

Now the question is.... should I go with a metal hood or fiberglass???

Fiberglass. No contest. Unless, of course, cost is a concern! ;-) I have a hinged glass hood with integral six-pack scoop. Saves a lot of weight. You have to weaken the hood springs or remove them and use a prop rod though.

If you go with a hood, go AAR. One more piece of advice.. if possible, run the hood on the car for a year, THEN fill and block it out and paint it. The fiberglass will move around a bit, and if you don't do this, the bodywork won't be perfect anymore. Ask me how I know!

drags08.jpg

How much weight did it save? I am thinking of going crazy and also getting fibreglass trunk lid, doors and bumpers for track days.(Already have front fenders) but i would like to know if the savings on weight is worth making my wallet lighter

Thanks for the pics of the pin placement superchargeddrt !!!
Much apprecaite you taking the time...
btw- weather starting to get real nice in So Fla if you wanna take a road trip and give me a hand with my ride...? :dontknow:

Thanks for the pics of the pin placement superchargeddrt !!!
Much apprecaite you taking the time...
btw- weather starting to get real nice in So Fla if you wanna take a road trip and give me a hand with my ride...? :dontknow:

LOL Well you never know.....I travel the USA for my job. Been in Florida many times. Also my Sister-In -Law has a house in Venice. We've been there several times. Good luck with your car, I think will will look awesome with the new hood.

Also, the metal plates the hood pins go through are either real looking ones available from Year One or cheapos like you get at the speed shop. I am going to try the A0135S for steel hoods and find a way to capture the screws on the inside. The A0135F just look cheap to me.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=hood+pin&SM=1&SC=1

Man those Hotchkis universal hood pin kit 1C77-1760 look way better than the chrome ones.

# CNC machined aluminum hood pin plate with anodized finish
# Aluminum quick release pin
# Hold down pin
# Stainless steel attaching hardware

but hey I'm not a hood pin guy.

Hemi hood dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would go with the hemi scoop i just bought one for my swinger everybody has there opinions if i had a 69newport id put one on it lol

Ok I got my scoop........ went with the six pack

Now just to decide whether to go with matching colour (biege) or painted hood with black scoop or completly black hood

I prefer matching body color opposed to blacked out. Here's a couple pics of my '73 Swinger with the snorkel scoop. NO! You can't have the ornament!
If anyones interested, I have an extra OEM snorkel hood without a scoop. It's off a '74 Dart Sport. (make offer) I'm tooo lazy to post an ad.

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 384
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 397
here´s a pic of my ´69 dart, satinblack hood with hemiscoop and cream body color
CIMG3679.JPG

-
Back