Which ignition conversion are you using?

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
What is everyone using to convert their ride to electronic ignition? I'd like a setup that does away with the ballast resistor. I have a Mallory points to electronic ignition on my '71 Twister and it works well so far; even though I have not put many miles on it in say five years or so.

Tell me what' ya got!

I'm using Summits CD box and I swapped the points distributor to a later model (new) electronic unit for a pre magnum 318.

MSD 6AL/ distributor - simple conversion and improvement in performance and economy (not that I really care about gas usage) was very noticeable

I put an MSD E-CURVE dist in my 67 Cuda and have been struggling with windshield wiper motor clearance from the get go. Part of the problem was when I upgraded the old worn out motor mounts with new poly ones from schumacher. Solved that one by switching to a stock GM cap that was lower than MSD. Than I decided to upgrade the tranny mount. Same problem again!Exempt, I'm out of options. I don't know of any manufacturers tha make a shallower cap for that distributor. probably have to find a smaller windsheild wiper motor and adapt.

I put an MSD E-CURVE dist in my 67 Cuda and have been struggling with windshield wiper motor clearance from the get go. Part of the problem was when I upgraded the old worn out motor mounts with new poly ones from schumacher. Solved that one by switching to a stock GM cap that was lower than MSD. Than I decided to upgrade the tranny mount. Same problem again!Exempt, I'm out of options. I don't know of any manufacturers tha make a shallower cap for that distributor. probably have to find a smaller windsheild wiper motor and adapt.

Same here. I have a 3spd wiper and I have to pull wires rotate the distributor pull more wires, then remove cap.

I heard from AndyF that he had the same thing with a 2spd wiper motor.

Even with all of that, I'd live with it. BUT I just cant get my E-curve to run with my car. The timing at idle moves around 10 degrees up and down. I sent it back to Summit and they sent me a new one.... Same thing. :sad11:

I bet there is some EMF deal going on. I talked with an engine builder that ran an E-curve on the dyno and the fuel injection would not fire right. Put a regular MSD setup and all was fine.

the best way to go i think is the davis unified ignition(D.U.I) tri power set up covers all the bases I put one on my 70 swinger which dyno @470hp

MSD digital 6 . fully adjustable at the box best system for the street. I can show you pics of most systems out there on this car. This worked the best so far. This is going in my 4sp. car and I will put a MSD digital 7 on this car to upgrade for better step control for stages. Steve

Attachments

• DSCF0171.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 194
Same set up as oldmanmopar. Works well on the track and on street.

Attachments

• P4060025.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 173
-
Back