Which ignition system to use?

-
I was debating between classic hei, the ready to run setups on eBay and pertronix's module to put in the point dizzy that has a built in rev limiter. All great options, I wanted the rev limiter but since project money is pretty tight and I had/have a lot to do to get the car road worthy I went with the ready to run set up as it was the most complete for the cheapest price.

I had FOB do up a distributor years ago, never had a lick of trouble, works great.

My stock one worked fine with my stroker til I got my msd and seen no difference in my 1/4 mile.

FBO is plug and play, also if a box or coil fails a stock one works to get you home. I have the older style FBO box and coil that uses a ballast resistor and a stock set up, my car starts better with the FBO set up vs the stock box and coil. Also holds timing better with the FBO.

Kinda pointless comment here but I've had a Mallory HyFire 6A box with reman'd factory electronic distributor for almost 8 years now with no problems, except for the occasional battery terminal corrosion. Mallory got bought out by MSD not long ago though so I don't know if you can still buy Mallory boxes or if they're just re-branded MSD units.

I started with a Pertronix billet distributor and then later decided to add an MSD-6ALN unit with it to maintain the hotter spark in the upper rpms. I'd just get the MSD distributor to keep it all the same brand next time but it's what I had. I don't think you're going to notice a huge difference between the above systems others have mentioned.

I'd like to go MSD but wow alittle spendy for my wallet....

I'd like to go MSD but wow alittle spendy for my wallet....

Yeah me too, for a race only I would use it but for street, FBO or stock type set up for me. I have spare dizzy, ignition box and coil, any problem and I can be back on the road in no time. I have had my FBO box and coil since 2005, never any trouble with it. Going to go with the new set up with rev limiter and be able to get rid of the ballast resistor too

Kinda pointless comment here but I've had a Mallory HyFire 6A box with reman'd factory electronic distributor for almost 8 years now with no problems, except for the occasional battery terminal corrosion. Mallory got bought out by MSD not long ago though so I don't know if you can still buy Mallory boxes or if they're just re-branded MSD units.

I have that same box with rev limiter , distributor, and coil currently for sale in the classifieds in case anyone is interested.... :)

Iam interested. Not sure how to find it, but I'll do some looking

Never mind, I didn't look, thought you mentioned FBO ignition.

If you desire a rev limiter, a stock distrubuter, hei conversion, with pentronix hei rev limiter module $70, if you want to hide it buy a design 2 drive bracket for $25.

I had MRE (Mason Racing Ignitions) build me a magneto for my 500" stroker. I also had him add a mechanical tach drive. He can add whatever advance you want. The beauty of the mag is a wicked spark with one wire to a ground. No ignition boxes/coils nor 1/4mi of wiring.

Iam looking for simplicity and not to hard on the wallet, iam pulling my 318 with accell ignition, and installing my 416 stroker. Just don't which way to go.... Just a weekend car

Well not sure how much I have into the stroker,,,, scared to add it all up. Just seems $400 MSD ready-to-run dizzy is a bit much, but also I haven't been sold on MSD.

Mopar Performance electronic didtributor. Built in quick advance.
Mopar Performance chrome box.
Try to find NOS early pieces on ebay.
MSD 8.5 super conductor wires.
Good to go.

-
Back