Which intake would you use?

-
were talking intake to head- oops
use whatever lines up the two best - but not shims but if shims hylomar around the water holes

Hang on man; with a manual trans, the engine is married to the tires.
The starter gear in this instance is 2.66x3.23=8.59, which is brutal for a 318 to pull.
If it had an automatic, then it would additionally have the TM (Torque Multiplication) from the TC which at zero mph can typically be plus 80%, and diminishing rapidly with speed to something like plus 40%, eventually hitting a low of perhaps plus 8%.
Furthermore, the automatic is never required to pull hard below stall.
But with a manual how do you drive below 30 mph? with 3.23s ?
I'll tell you; with 27" tires; 1000rpm is already 9 mph. Think about that. 20 is 2135, and 30 is 3200. So every time you slow down, you are gonna be in these ranges.... in first gear. So if you want to accelerate from those rpms without bogging or hesitating with the 318, this demands low-rpm torque, or a slipping clutch.
Low rpm torque with a given engine requires cylinder pressure and the air has got to speeding thru the intake to get to it's destination, especially at low throttle openings, keeping it's fuel load in suspension.
OP says the engine is a 70, so it does have some compression, and the cylinder pressure on those is a lil higher than the smoggers. That means, the intake is the second last tool to making torque, the primary venturi size being the last. Since the performer covers both bases, to me it's the logical option.
Those 3.23s are gonna dictate the choice.
Yeah, what he said!

The Streetmaster is an "ok" intake. It's not a Holley Street Dominator, although that's what it was aimed at competing with. IMO, since it's going into a truck, the Performer is definitely the better choice. It will pull head and shoulders above the Street master pulling a load in the lower RPM range.

You really need a dual plane intake. Manifolds like the performer are designed to be a performance upgrade over the factory 2bbl. Single plane intakes are typically a performance upgrade that really does best with a better cam, heads, exhaust, etc.
With a stock 318, I'm positive you will be happier with a performer.
If all else fails, ignore what we are saying and try both. Nothing but "seat of the pants " feel will really make your decision.

You really need a dual plane intake. Manifolds like the performer are designed to be a performance upgrade over the factory 2bbl. Single plane intakes are typically a performance upgrade that really does best with a better cam, heads, exhaust, etc.
With a stock 318, I'm positive you will be happier with a performer.
If all else fails, ignore what we are saying and try both. Nothing but "seat of the pants " feel will really make your decision.

Keep in mind the Streetmaster isn't a standard single plane. The low-rise of the plenum and small runners/ports act differently than a more typical single plane intake does. It actually does a decent job of keeping port velocity up because of the small size of the runners, especially with the small port stock 318 heads. On a 318 the Streetmaster really doesn't act like a true single plane intake.

For the OP's application I think the dual plane performer is definitely a better intake, but I seriously doubt anyone has a "butt dyno" that's calibrated finely enough to tell the difference in this application.

And if you are willing to do that,then start with the "wrong one" so you only have to do but one change,lol.
I agree completely! I think if he puts that single plane on and drives it, then changes to the other, there will be a noticable difference in performance that can actually be felt.

Agree or disagree. Like I said, try both. Use the one you like best. Or, if performance isn't really an issue, use the one that you think looks the coolest!

I agree completely! I think if he puts that single plane on and drives it, then changes to the other, there will be a noticable difference in performance that can actually be felt.

A plain old performer is not that spectacular of an intake. Neither is the streetmaster. With a 318 on an actual dyno the performer might show some improvements over the streetmaster, but you won't notice a darn thing with a stock 318 driving around town. Maybe if a lot of towing was involved the difference might show up on the low end. But otherwise, not so much. Even towing, it's not like a 318 is going to tow heavy at low rpms.

Since it's a hot rod project, I think the single plane would probably make it look cooler, regardless of whether or not it actually is a better performer.
Its not like you're building it to race.

I put an Excellerator singleplane on a stock smoggerteen with headers once......
for about a week or two. Then I found a smallport CI 4bbl spreadbore intake and TQ. A couple of minutes later, the Excellerator was on the also-ran shelf. That iron/TQ stayed on that engine ever after, even unto this day. That combo pulled automatics (with a 2800), and 4speeds including the overdrive, and a double overdrive, and almost every rear gear you can think of from 2.73s to 4.30s, maybe even the 4.88s (now on the shelf). and it went from Barracuda to D100; but the engine never changed. Not a dog combo in the bunch. This was my winter engine from 2000 to 2005/6

A plain old performer is not that spectacular of an intake. Neither is the streetmaster. With a 318 on an actual dyno the performer might show some improvements over the streetmaster, but you won't notice a darn thing with a stock 318 driving around town. Maybe if a lot of towing was involved the difference might show up on the low end. But otherwise, not so much. Even towing, it's not like a 318 is going to tow heavy at low rpms.
Man, I can't argue with anything your saying.
Like I said, for the cool factor, the single plane has it. For performance, I don't know. I would try both, and if I felt a difference, that would decide.

it's a manual trans with 3.23s; it's sorta married to low rpms, towing or not.. I mean even 30mph is still only ~3200 in FIRST gear; 60 in fourth is ~2400

Which is honestly a better argument against the 3.23's than it is for anything else. In a car 3.23's are nice if you're gonna see the freeway, in a truck the tire height means 3.55's or 3.73's are gonna be better and still be fine on the freeway. 'Teeners shouldn't be married to low rpms unless you like going slow.

Like I've said since the beginning, the dual plane would be my choice of those two intakes. But on a stock 'teener if you think you're gonna have a big, noticeable difference between those intakes you're kidding yourself. It's a "hot rod" truck not a tow vehicle.

Which is honestly a better argument against the 3.23's than it is for anything else .In a car 3.23's are nice if you're gonna see the freeway, in a truck the tire height means 3.55's or 3.73's are gonna be better and still be fine on the freeway. 'Teeners shouldn't be married to low rpms unless you like going slow.
I agree but it's what he has.

I agree but it's what he has.

People pay decent money for Streetmasters. I'd run the performer, sell the streetmaster and put the funds toward a better set of gears. Problem solved! If the 3.23 chunk is a peg legger you could probably find a 3.55 peg legger chunk for not much more than you'd get for the streetmaster. I got the 3.55 chunk I ran in my Duster for a few years from a PickNPull for $265. It came with the whole drum to drum truck 8 3/4 attached for that price!

-
Back