• Plymouth Trail Duster

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Dodge RamCharger

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 22 33.3%

• Total voters
-
Just sold my 86 ramcharger last week. Had a 360 in it, I loved it but lost local offroad spot due to cops. Depends what he wants. if he needs only 4 seating or less the Jeep is the ultimate 4x4. If you like the looks of full size then the ramcharger / trailduster is the ticket, but not as nimble due to much larger size than the jeep. I installed 3" body lift and 35" interco mt's and my ramcharger was a beast, but would cost a fortune to drive everyday. Check ramchargercentral.com for all info on those trucks.

Don't go wrecking a 61 - 71 Sweptline. Those are hard enough to find.. don't need one smashed all to hell. Why not find an old Yota?

I guess all the people saying rams and dakotas have never had ramchargers. Theres a reason the game wardens used them for so many years. Beefy transfer cases and dana 44 axles in a lot of them. Motors identical to our a bodys. Plenty of aftermarket parts. Dont buy a later model pos. Get the ramcharger or trailduster with the 727 and beefy axles.

Ram 2500 4 wheel drive with cummins diesel. amazing trucks.
when you tow stuff, it's like there is nothing there. i had a 2001 it got 19mpg highway.

Great trucks but not so great for the trail. That cummins is one heavy beast on the front axle. I know ,I have a single cab dually 4x4

Attachments

• trucks003.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 195
A buddy of mine over at ramchargercentral built this one. W100 sitting on a ramcharger frame. He shortened the bed. I think that it looks pretty sweet. He called it "The Frog"

The second one is his too. Sitting on Dana 60's, lockers front and rear and H1 hummer wheels and internal beadlocks. Killer truck

The third one was done by me a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• D100RC 1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 269
  • D100-RC.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 209
  • september judge 1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Paint15.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 189
dont go wreckin traildusters or ramchargers, they are getting hard to find, even teh 80s ramchargers are getting harder to find in nice shape. and swpetlines, yeah, they are hard to find also. go with a 90s ram. tons of aftermarket support and hold up well

It does not matter if the choice is trailduster or ramcharger, same truck. But if he wants a removeable top, would need to get one from the 70's. If that don't matter then get one from the 80's non-removeable top. 80's body style is little different and more replacement parts available than the 70's body style. Pick-ups are the same as body parts, 70's are harder to find. The trailduster/ramcharger are shorter wheel base and would do better on trail rides through the woods. Longer wheel base if he just wants to mud.
But all this is just my opinion.

Badart, them shortened trucks look killer. So doe your OLD truck.

ramchargers are beautiful but if your in the rust belt its buyer beware! personally I like the 72-80 power wagons or the 81-93 power rams because I couldn't bring myself to beat the crap out of a ramcharger. by the way trailduster's and ramchargers are identical rigs

Jeeps,late 80s and up ram [not a diesel too heavy on front axle] sorry fellas - full size blazer,bronco? All of which have endless supplies of aftermarket parts.

guess which one i voted :) i have one with a removable hardtop...cant find the gasket for the hard tops anymore so i stopped looking...i love this thing...i actually bought it while looking for a k5 jimmy/blazer and i am glad i found it...waaayyy better in my opinion.

good luck with whatever you get.

A buddy of mine over at ramchargercentral built this one. W100 sitting on a ramcharger frame. He shortened the bed. I think that it looks pretty sweet. He called it "The Frog"
attachment.php

The second one is his too. Sitting on Dana 60's, lockers front and rear and H1 hummer wheels and internal beadlocks. Killer truck

The third one was done by me a couple of years ago.

love the frog!!

for mudding you generally dont use high RPM's. it's all about torque and your suspension setup. sway bar disconnects, amount of travel, strong rears, etc. if he can find a 4x4 with a cummins it will have the biggest rears dodge offered already installed. and springs. you can pop on some big meats and go anywhere. i'm not sure if they are dana 60's but they are big tough *** rears for towing and stuff. they will already be geared down, and the tranny will be beefed up as well.

129_0906_07_z+4x4_truck_mudding_spots_usa+truck_night_yankee_lake.jpg

also make sure you do it PRO
safety first
- dont go alone
- everyone should have winches. dont chince on the winch either. big cables keep them greased, no frayed or rusty cables. a snapping cable will take you out.
- extra gas can (you have probably seen 4x4's with big red gas cans strapped to the side. this is if you puncture your fuel tank you dont have to leave your truck in the woods. you can run gas line to your fuel pump from the spare tank and rock n roll right out
- roll cage is preferable
- a cb radio, gps, cell phones etc.
etc. the main rule is do not go alone. unless you are into hiking long distances in the dark
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/checklists/a/aa121901a_4.htm
there are tons of sites with info too. a good truck is one thing. good safety makes your outings more fun

-
Back