Which Junkyard Electric fan?

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I have read about Taurus fans, Chevy hot rod looking SUV whatever its called fans, and I saw a online vendor talking about a dual fan for a diesel dodge truck.

My setup is gonna consist of a challengerguy radiator (not sure what size) and some form of electric fan from another car, along with a magnum serpentine setup with ac and ps.

I am gonna be running around the u-pull-it alot and wanted to make a list of some fans to look out for.

The Taurus fan is popular, the Ford SVT dual fans are popular as well. If you're running AC, probably gonna need the run the Taurus fan on the high setting and maybe the same for the SVT fans. Doing this will draw a lot of amps so wire up for it. I wired all 10 gauge for the Taurus fan I have just in case I need to use the high setting.

Do you run the high setting constantly, or have it set up with two settings? I liked that setup, and I found the wiring kit that would give me that option.

I have read about Taurus fans, Chevy hot rod looking SUV whatever its called fans, and I saw a online vendor talking about a dual fan for a diesel dodge truck.

My setup is gonna consist of a challengerguy radiator (not sure what size) and some form of electric fan from another car, along with a magnum serpentine setup with ac and ps.

I am gonna be running around the u-pull-it alot and wanted to make a list of some fans to look out for.

I have a brand new, still in the box, Taurus fan. They are made by Dorman and part #620-101.
They run from $100 to $150 new. I went with a Spal setup instead. So, I would let the Dorman go for $60 plus the ride if your interested. I've just been lazy, but been meaning to put it up for sale here on FABO. Let me know if you want 1st crack at it.
Good Luck

95-2000 Ford Contour/Mercury Mistake with the 2.5 DOHC V6 is the fan set up alot go with.

Found these on another thread in here recently to show a friend what to look for,when I was reSEARCHING for this fan set up.

ps:had wrong diagram from my HD

Wiring Diagram thanks to goldduster318.
Rad/fan pic thanks to 72bluNblu

Attachments

• 95-2000 contour fans.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Contour_Fan_Wiring_zpsfc112fe5.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 963
I have a brand new, still in the box, Taurus fan. They are made by Dorman and part #620-101.
They run from $100 to $150 new. I went with a Spal setup instead. So, I would let the Dorman go for $60 plus the ride if your interested. I've just been lazy, but been meaning to put it up for sale here on FABO. Let me know if you want 1st crack at it.
Good Luck

Ill keep you in mind. But the dual fan from the conture is tempting.

95-2000 Ford Contour/Mercury Mistake with the 2.5 DOHC V6 is the fan set up alot go with.

Found these on another thread in here recently to show a friend what to look for,when I was reSEARCHING for this fan set up.

Whats the specs on the engine that your cooling, and what type tranny? Are you running AC?

Whats the specs on the engine that your cooling, and what type tranny? Are you running AC?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970299090&postcount=3

that should answer most of those question I found while reSearching.
GoldDuster318 has a good setup, and has answered alot of questions in regards to his setup.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=266073

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=245889&highlight=contour

Do you run the high setting constantly, or have it set up with two settings? I liked that setup, and I found the wiring kit that would give me that option.

I have it wired on the low setting for now. All I have to do is pull the wire on the plug from the low and plug into the high wire if I want to change it.

I bought my Champion radiator, shroud and dual electric fans from Challengergary a couple years ago. I'm very happy with it, though I should have bought a thermal fan switch from the start. I ran just an on/off switch originally. Forgot to turn it on, forgot to turn it off. I bought a thermal fan switch and it runs flawlessly. I think my whole set up was like $275 or so.

I recall seeing a dual relay setup sold on ebay for the Ford 2-speed fan. I recall each relay is actuated by a different temperature sensor. Also, much info on the HAMB hot rod site, since they have big problems with cooling, given a rod's small radiator area.

For a simple assist fan, many use the pusher fan on M-B 300 or other Euro cars. In my M-B 300D that fan is to help the AC.

The contour fan works very well. Doesn't have to be from an SVT...Just a 2.5 V6 Contour/Mystique/Cougar.

My factory ford fans were able to keep my 470hp 340 cool in dream cruise traffic on only the low speed. An hour to go 6 miles. It was only about 80 out, but the water temp never even got to 205 to turn the high on. Turns on at 195 on my controller. As far as I'm concerned, it's the last word in efficient cooling.

Some people had said they made a change to the radiator I used to make it taller, which makes it hard to fit in an A-body. I can't confirm. It would fit on pretty much any 26" radiator though.

The 70 amp relays, 60 Amp maxi fuse are a requirement. The Dakota Digital controller is slightly more spendy, but is very nice. Allows a lot of very easy fine-tuning.

My 78 amp 12si is a little marginal. Not gonna get by with a stock mopar piece. Recommend 94A 12si or more, 6 ga alternator to starter relay connection and MAD electrical bypass to be fully bulletproof.

I guess I don't get it. I am all about savin a dollar, but getting a used fan that probably has a bagillion miles on it does not appeal to me. I put that in the same category as usin rusted up brakes or a boogered up fuel system. Brakes, fuel and cooling are all things you want at the absolute top of their game. No way would I try to skimp just to save a buck there. What happens if your bargain basement fan gives it up on a cruise in 90* plus heat when you're 50 plus miles away from home? It's just not worth it to me. I would much rather pay more for a new good name brand name fan and know what I have than risk my hard earned money in an overheated engine. Just my 2 cents.

I guess I don't get it..

Part of the problem for me, Rob is "who do you believe?" Some of the aftermarket stuff is so full of crap, you can't even believe it if they tell you it's black in color.

At least these are a "proven" "it works" setup.

ps:had wrong diagram from my HD

Wiring Diagram thanks to goldduster318.
Rad/fan pic thanks to 72bluNblu

Have this on my Magnum 360 /727 / non a.c. combination. (Great setup,IMO).

Part of the problem for me, Rob is "who do you believe?" Some of the aftermarket stuff is so full of crap, you can't even believe it if they tell you it's black in color.

At least these are a "proven" "it works" setup.

That's a valid point. I can say I've had direct experience with the Flax a lite Black Magic fans. They work GOOD, but they ain't cheap.

I like what seems to be the better engineering involved in the factory fans. I used one before on another ride, course it was a 4 banger toyota truck, but it didnt fail. However, this time around I may install a new motor with the factory fan. But that will be when its registered, inspected and all that. I havent looked into replacement motors for the contour fan. I know the Taurus fan has replacement motors available.

I run the dual fans from the contour on my 408 blown engine. Had trouble keeping the blower engine cool until I went to this setup. Wired mine so that one fan starts when engine starts, the other comes on at 200 degree/ off at 185. No more overheating issues.

It's very likely the OE fans are higher quality than most. I think SPAL makes a lot of the OE designs. Might look at some of what they offer in the aftermarket too.....or simply buy whichever OE fan you like best new from the dealer.

Here's the contusion and mistake fan from Summit. It's Dorman but they make pretty good OE replacement parts.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Electric-Fan-Replacement-Ford-Mercury-Contour-Mystique-2-0-2-5L-Each-/331279621396?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AContour&hash=item4d21cddd14&vxp=mtr"]Dorman Electric Fan Replacement Ford Mercury Contour Mystique 2 0 2 5L Each | eBay[/ame]

Here's the contusion and mistake fan from Summit. It's Dorman but they make pretty good OE replacement parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Elec...ord|Model:Contour&hash=item4d21cddd14&vxp=mtr

That's actually the Dorman fan pictured above on my car. I went to the local yard and managed to find the dual fan set up, but most of the fans I found had broken shrouds or fan blades. I grabbed one for the wiring harness and because I had heard that the fan motors were better quality on the OE parts, I think they were originally made by Bosch. But since I didn't want to mess with fixing a broken shroud I just bought a new Dorman set up.

Anyway, I stripped down the Contour wiring harness and re-used it with all of its connectors. Those stupid connectors aren't cheap, I paid less for the entire harness at the yard than I would have for just one of the fan motor connectors. I haven't had any issues with the Dorman parts, and I have a spare set of motors if I need them.

So far I haven't had any issues cooling my .060" over, ~430 hp 340, even in 100* temperatures. It did pretty much stop cycling on and off at that point, but it was still using the low fan setting. I run mine pretty much exactly the same as goldduster318 with the Dakota Digital controller and dual 70 amp relays. I have a Tuffstuff 100 amp alternator, and run the power off of my 250 amp continuous duty relay I installed with my battery relocation and cut off. I haven't bypassed my ammeter yet for the MAD conversion, but I should have that done pretty soon.

IMG_1558_zps3b79216a.jpg

IMG_1559_zpse3b2d10c.jpg

IMG_1563_zpsdd343921.jpg

Good Luck

I may take it if the OP does not want it. Anyone got a pic of a Taurus fan installed? I'd kinda like to see how they look/fit.

Edit: no need for pics, lots on google image.

Thanks for the pitchers. If I am able to get my Bobcat project back off the ground, I may try one of those. Can you tell me the width and height?

That's actually the Dorman fan pictured above on my car. I went to the local yard and managed to find the dual fan set up, but most of the fans I found had broken shrouds or fan blades. I grabbed one for the wiring harness and because I had heard that the fan motors were better quality on the OE parts, I think they were originally made by Bosch. But since I didn't want to mess with fixing a broken shroud I just bought a new Dorman set up.

Anyway, I stripped down the Contour wiring harness and re-used it with all of its connectors. Those stupid connectors aren't cheap, I paid less for the entire harness at the yard than I would have for just one of the fan motor connectors. I haven't had any issues with the Dorman parts, and I have a spare set of motors if I need them.

So far I haven't had any issues cooling my .060" over, ~430 hp 340, even in 100* temperatures. It did pretty much stop cycling on and off at that point, but it was still using the low fan setting. I run mine pretty much exactly the same as goldduster318 with the Dakota Digital controller and dual 70 amp relays. I have a Tuffstuff 100 amp alternator, and run the power off of my 250 amp continuous duty relay I installed with my battery relocation and cut off. I haven't bypassed my ammeter yet for the MAD conversion, but I should have that done pretty soon.

Thanks for the pitchers. If I am able to get my Bobcat project back off the ground, I may try one of those. Can you tell me the width and height?

The main body is about 24.5" wide x 16" tall. The tabs on the sides stick out another 2.25". It's about 3.5" deep from the edge to the end of the motors, but outside the motors most of the shroud is about 3" deep.

-
Back